djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
looks like a nice one to me. They even chopped off it's head.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a conventional Turtle.

Below is a very simplistic drawing of how a conventional turtle is constructed. There is a support rock under the rock that forms the head and neck, and a counterbalance above and behind that. The legs and tail are not required, but often there. More often than not, the body of the turtle was composed of many rocks that were cut to roughly form the shape of the shell.

While that is what a conventional turtle looks like, it's not the only way they were made. I found one that looks a little like yours, but you would have to see a man made marking or monument somewhere in the direction your turtle head is facing.

The bad thing is, because the head is cut off, that is usually a sign that whatever the turtle is a monument for is gone. HOWEVER, a lot of times, if someone before you has seen it, and couldn't find what it pointed to, they would cut the head off themselves to deter other people from looking any further.

Where in the country is that? Remember, the Spanish (and Amerindians) were the only ones to use the turtle as a marker. Neither the French nor the English used this sign.

Best,

Mike

Attachments

• TurtleD1.jpg
    TurtleD1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 604
OP
OP
A

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
There is a face near the turtle that is on a bluff, and the turtle is pointing in the general direction of the rocks I posted see the post "2 FN rock carvings". I was just out getting the pics of the tree I posted for bytheriver and happened to see the turtle. That tree also points in the direction of the rocks.

OP
OP
A

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
arkhunter said:
any wider angle shots?....what other rocks are around?

Just went and looked and the only other one is one of me and the turtle, nothing that shows a wider angle though.....sorry, I should have thought of that but as soon as I walked up on it and saw it's head cut off I stopped thinking and started pouting lol.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No reason to pout. Even if the mine is played out, or the treasure is removed, IF it is a real turtle, you can still gain a lot of knowledge by following the trail to the end.

Best,

Mike

OP
OP
A

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
I am personally gonna believe the "they couldn't figure it out so wanted to throw me off by cuttign off the head" theory, it will make me sleep better at night. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread