Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sister and I went metal detecting today around an old home site here in Oklahoma. The grass/weeds are pretty tall making it tough to swing the detector, but we found what we think is the house foundation with a well next to it. So, my sis was detecting along the edge of the foundation rocks and got a big signal which was underneath one of the rocks.....she found a horse shoe rasp(sp?). As she was getting ready to flip the rock back into place she noticed some letters on the rock! We didn't get a good reading/heading direction on anything---not thinking about there being "treasure" signs around this place---we thought it was just an old foundation.
We brought the rock home and took some pictures. Here it is:
IMG_7743 (1024x683).jpg IMG_7740 (1008x1024).jpg IMG_7738 (1024x683).jpg IMG_7737 (1024x718).jpg
I can see the letters "A. C. C I N A M O N" ----What do you think it means? I think the rock is broken---see how on the second row of letters, part of the first letter is missing? When we go back we're going to try to find the missing edge. Wonder if they were trying to spell "cinnamon"? is there any "hidden" meaning here?
And we think this old home site will date to the early 1900's----here's a picture of all the relics we found today:
IMG_7747 (1024x683).jpg IMG_7744 (1024x516).jpg
Thanks for looking and any help!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks to be a grocery list
___ ac
cinnamon
they just ran out of paper

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
why would you take someones grave maker i hope they haunt you tonight lmao

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i thank ya need to put it back where ya found it

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks to be a grocery list
___ ac
cinnamon
they just ran out of paper

I believe it said...

GUAC

CINNAMON

BACON

but come on! really,

what makes you think this leads to treasure?

The only way this will lead to treasure is if you make out some convoluted message out of it, with measurements, AND wherever you happen to dig someone buried a treasure totally unrelated to your find.

Good luck!

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
its hard to say what it is but could be a head stone never know nice finds

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find, but I do not believe it leads to treasure or see nothing that says "treasure signs". Looks to be part of an inscription which was broken long ago and discarded. If you really want to know the history of it, which may all ready be lost....you're going to spend lots of hours just to find out it was a basic inscription written by so and so, for so and so purpose and long ago. Call it a cool find, and use it as a door stopper. Or drop it off at your local museum.

beulahlandgirl

Apr 14, 2010
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was really excited to find that rock! I was metal detecting right around the northwest corner of the house and I picked up the signal for that horseshoe file/rasp and had to move that rock out of the way to dig it up and then I thought, hmm, maybe I would just flip it over to see if anything was on the bottom of the rock and when I did and saw all that writing, I was pretty excited. It's got to mean something. It was one of the cornerstones of the foundation. We will have to do some more exploring!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think a headstone/grave marker would be mixed in with a house foundation, would it wildman? The rock was part of the house foundation---could be that these were the initials of whoever built the house? It was a freak thing for my sister to even find it---the side of the rock with the letters on it was face down and the only reason she found it was because she was digging a signal which turned out to be the rasp.
Thanks guys---y'all are a tough crowd :tongue3: I got a kick out of reading these replies. We'll see what else we can find---just in case it is a sign of some kind. :tongue3:

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That there is a book shelf treasure...lol I have a few things like that....that look important and historical ..BUT...lol Just imagine the things you could come up with when your asked about it....your imagination is the only limit...enjoy life it is short...peace

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That there is a book shelf treasure...lol I have a few things like that....that look important and historical ..BUT...lol Just imagine the things you could come up with when your asked about it....your imagination is the only limit...enjoy life it is short...peace
:thumbsup:We brought it home so we could enjoy it.....it's fun just thinking about who might have left it and what the meaning of the letters might be. It makes me want to explore more and see if they left anything else.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
im just messing with you man lol im in a picking mood today hope yall find some good stuff there hh. when this weather breaks here i found a 1800's cabin thats still standing that im gonna go see what i can find there

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
could be one of the dare stones

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:We brought it home so we could enjoy it.....it's fun just thinking about who might have left it and what the meaning of the letters might be. It makes me want to explore more and see if they left anything else.

The good news is that you're on the same soil they used day in and day out and their history is right beneath your feet. You might find the rest of the inscription if you keep on digging.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good news is that you're on the same soil they used day in and day out and their history is right beneath your feet. You might find the rest of the inscription if you keep on digging.
Yep! We think the people who lived there might have been Osages(Indians/Native Americans).....could be that these letters were made by their kids---maybe they were learning how to write in the "white man's way"---that would be a piece of history in itself! Just thought we'd better ask if anyone saw a "hidden" meaning before we went and did any more digging.
**This is the second old home site where we've found rocks with markings and such( http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-marks-signs/210726-does-mean-anything.html )<<<Found a lot of neat things at that place.**

Thanks guys!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oh yeah, native american kids writing english. I'd go with that one. that's believeable

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charmin:
I think that the stone your sister found might be a "good luck" stone that was placed into the foundation of their house. Kinda like some country folks would put a penny under the threshold board of the front door of their new cabin / house. There probably are other pieces of the rock to be found.

I could be wrong, but it just "feels" right.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charmin:
I think that the stone your sister found might be a "good luck" stone that was placed into the foundation of their house. Kinda like some country folks would put a penny under the threshold board of the front door of their new cabin / house. There probably are other pieces of the rock to be found.

I could be wrong, but it just "feels" right.
Thank you, SS, for explaining that! I have never heard of "good luck stones" before----and that would make sense because the Osages were very superstitious. It was a fun find---pretty exciting for us because we weren't actually looking for "treasure signs" just out metal detecting. We figured we'd better ask and make sure it wasn't anything important because there is so much we don't know.
Appreciate your help!!

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Did you pull the rasp out of the way and hit the spot again with the detector? If not I would do that on the next trip. Also try to remember which way the pointed end of the rasp was pointing.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you pull the rasp out of the way and hit the spot again with the detector? If not I would do that on the next trip. Also try to remember which way the pointed end of the rasp was pointing.
Yes indeed! We always do that......We are going back after the snow melts and look along the base of bluff that is near this old home site. On the way out the other day, we noticed a big red rock that looked out of place...it was the only reddish colored one and seemed to pull the eye.
We'll just have fun exploring and if we find something, all the better :thumbsup: .
Thanks Dixiegal~~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions