Trees or Trail Trees?

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Im very skeptical ,but im gona comment anyway.
How do they claim to know these trees are trail markers and not one of the thousands of trees that have had another tree or limb fall on them then rot away or be cut for fire wood leaving the bent tree. I have personally seen many created that way.
I could show you 50 trees with that shape and are no where near old enough to be a indian trail marker.
And why would an indian use a marker that could have several more trees that look the same, nearby, that were created by nature.
If you were depending on finding water you could die of thirst following trees that point to nothing.

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im very skeptical ,but im gona comment anyway.
How do they claim to know these trees are trail markers and not one of the thousands of trees that have had another tree or limb fall on them then rot away or be cut for fire wood leaving the bent tree. I have personally seen many created that way.
I could show you 50 trees with that shape and are no where near old enough to be a indian trail marker.
And why would an indian use a marker that could have several more trees that look the same, nearby, that were created by nature.
If you were depending on finding water you could die of thirst following trees that point to nothing.

I know you are not being defensive and I appreciate when someone wants to learn about things, there are many places to read about this. I hope my post doesn't go the way of arguing or defending trail trees existence. Who knows for sure if the chicken or the egg came first, I can't see air but I know it exists! I respect all peoples opinions or beliefs, but I won't spend time defending mine. I would ask that you start your very legitimate question in the general section of the forum and gets the answers you are looking for. Thank you for sharing and I hope you find the answers you are looking for, I just hope you don't find them here! LOL

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some digging info up will help taz. Fair questions. How they are manipulated part of it. You are right,not all suspected are.
One group takes core samples to try to get reasonable age estimate. Some are on known trails. By region and culture different things were done to create signs and there were different meanings.

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some digging info up will help taz. Fair questions. How they are manipulated part of it. You are right,not all suspected are.
One group takes core samples to try to get reasonable age estimate. Some are on known trails. By region and culture different things were done to create signs and there were different meanings.
thank you for sharing that.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for reminding me there are still interesting mysteries that can be touched. If only they could speak!

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treemaster

Nov 8, 2012
LV
Detector(s) used
White prizm III, Garrett 350, Sometimes I use None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I do have a gps so I know I can get coordinates if I can find the time! I wish I knew more about trees, so I would know what kind they are and about how old they might be, this would eliminate me doing trees that are too young and bent for other reasons, such as growing around something and etc. I went for a walk with my husband today and tried to find that first tree in my photos again, but no such luck. I did however find I think 3 more! (I haven't edited my photos yet, but if anyone is still commenting on here when I get that done, I will post them). There are about 12 miles of woods here so there is some ground to cover! And so much more metal detecting to do! LOL A question about these trees... is there anyone to notify if these are indeed tree markers?
Thank you so much for taking the time, to respond to my post and for sharing your experience and knowledge so freely.
Cindy

You have great tree markers N tree is go north the opening in the big tree means cave around you must remember many cave cover ups is cement, wood cover with mud 2 or 3 feet deep. Caves can also be tunnels under ground man made. Sometimes those big knots if only one on the tree can be something inside it. Trees don't like objects in them and swell up like so.

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you please explain this to me again? I don't understand "N Tree" and what indicates a cave? I really am interested in this and would love any information you can share.

You have great tree markers N tree is go north the opening in the big tree means cave around you must remember many cave cover ups is cement, wood cover with mud 2 or 3 feet deep. Caves can also be tunnels under ground man made. Sometimes those big knots if only one on the tree can be something inside it. Trees don't like objects in them and swell up like so.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Im very skeptical ,but im gona comment anyway. How do they claim to know these trees are trail markers and not one of the thousands of trees that have had another tree or limb fall on them then rot away or be cut for fire wood leaving the bent tree. I have personally seen many created that way. I could show you 50 trees with that shape and are no where near old enough to be a indian trail marker. And why would an indian use a marker that could have several more trees that look the same, nearby, that were created by nature. If you were depending on finding water you could die of thirst following trees that point to nothing.

Trails marked by bending trees have been here on Turtle Island since before the white man arrived. The Keziah tree in North Carolina has been cored and shown to date from almost 300 years before Columbus arrived here.

To determine whether a tree is a trail marker or other purposely bent tree, one would look for certain marks which would have been made at the time the tree was bent. These would include the marks made by the forked stick that was used to make the bend from vertical to horizontal. It was under the tree. Next one would confirm that the upright portion away from the "hip" (that first bend) is not the original trunk of the tree but rather a branch that became the new trunk. Between that upright farthest from the hip (some trees have more than one) there would be marks from a second or controlling force. It may have been rawhide or a second forked stick that held the tree into its bent shape at the hip where the first forked stick was placed to create the first bend.

These trees are sometimes much smaller than one would expect as the binding and trimming are not all that dissimilar from Bonsai. Real Bonsai are not special miniature trees that resemble the full size trees. They are the real trees who have been bound, trimmed and otherwise manipulated which causes a restriction in their growth.

One other consideration: look at the shape of the tree's foliage. The way a branch grows is different from a normal tree. It will have a shape similar to the point of a witch's hat.

Now, I will upset some folks: These trees were not treasure markers. While some have copied the shape (KGC, Jesuits, etc.) they are not the same. The purpose of these trees was the same as the signs on our interstate highway system today. Exit here for water. Exit here for hunting. Exit here to get to Joe's village. Get the idea?

Hope this has helped.

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You seem to have a lot of information on this subject and I do appreciate you sharing it with me. How did you learn so much about them?
I came across some very interesting trees today. I haven't edited my pictures yet, but when I do I will put them on here. If you would take the time to tell me what you think that would be great! If not I am sure I can get it somewhere else. Thanks again for your time! Cindy

Trails marked by bending trees have been here on Turtle Island since before the white man arrived. The Keziah tree in North Carolina has been cored and shown to date from almost 300 years before Columbus arrived here. To determine whether a tree is a trail marker or other purposely bent tree, one would look for certain marks which would have been made at the time the tree was bent. These would include the marks made by the forked stick that was used to make the bend from vertical to horizontal. It was under the tree. Next one would confirm that the upright portion away from the "hip" (that first bend) is not the original trunk of the tree but rather a branch that became the new trunk. Between that upright farthest from the hip (some trees have more than one) there would be marks from a second or controlling force. It may have been rawhide or a second forked stick that held the tree into its bent shape at the hip where the first forked stick was placed to create the first bend. These trees are sometimes much smaller than one would expect as the binding and trimming are not all that dissimilar from Bonsai. Real Bonsai are not special miniature trees that resemble the full size trees. They are the real trees who have been bound, trimmed and otherwise manipulated which causes a restriction in their growth. One other consideration: look at the shape of the tree's foliage. The way a branch grows is different from a normal tree. It will have a shape similar to the point of a witch's hat. Now, I will upset some folks: These trees were not treasure markers. While some have copied the shape (KGC, Jesuits, etc.) they are not the same. The purpose of these trees was the same as the signs on our interstate highway system today. Exit here for water. Exit here for hunting. Exit here to get to Joe's village. Get the idea? Hope this has helped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread