cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen trees like this before, but hadn't paid too much attention until I saw something about trail trees. Just want some feedback from the non skeptics, not saying you have to think they are... but at least believe they exist! LOL

This photo is one I took before I learned about trail trees, I can't wait to go back to take better pictures.
IMGP9740.JPG IMGP9741.JPG

This one I found the day after I learned about the trees. I should add it is pointing to the fresh water spring. IMGP9834.JPG IMGP9844.JPG IMGP9847.JPG IMGP9848.JPG you can see band mark on this nub. IMGP9833.JPG This tree points to a fresh water spring.

IMGP9849.JPG IMGP9854.JPG This points to the tree above.
This tree has a hollow base, it looks like it has been burnt out. There is also a hole in the notch (last Photo) IMGP9859.JPG ( this is the top of the tree in the next few photos) IMGP9858.JPG IMGP9863.JPG IMGP9870.JPG (this is also the top of the same tree) IMGP9862.JPG IMGP9860.JPG IMGP9879b.JPG IMGP9865.JPG

Last edited:

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
The first couple of trees look good to me! Document them thoroughly as they will not last forever. I have seen two or three trees that were angled to make a cross..or tripod. Near it was a modified tree with a needle like opening down its middle to look through I guess. So even the cross branches up in the sky there are a possibility.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That tree that your dogs are checking out (picture 9863) could be a "moonshine" tree. In the old days, one could leave the proper payment inside a certain tree like that, and some short time later, return and find a jug of "shine waiting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first couple of trees look good to me! Document them thoroughly as they will not last forever. I have seen two or three trees that were angled to make a cross..or tripod. Near it was a modified tree with a needle like opening down its middle to look through I guess. So even the cross branches up in the sky there are a possibility.
What do you mean document them? thanks for you feedback!

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That tree that your dogs are checking out (picture 9863) could be a "moonshine" tree. In the old days, one could leave the proper payment inside a certain tree like that, and some short time later, return and find a jug of "shine waiting.
thank you! That is really cool and yes it would be a great place to hide something.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

Is that personal experience talking ss? lol.

Cdsieg,, I just mean take pictures of them and if you are inclined, gps mark them. Take pictures of each side. NESW It can get boring after a while I will admit, if you have more than few. And it may be a thankless task. But someone will appreciate it some day. I've contemplated what to do with some pics I have of trail trees that were cut down..but still waiting for illumination to come on that. If nothing comes along before my end I guess I will just donate them to the local archives. They just were not recognized as historically significant at the time by the powers that be. It reminds of something I read once about the gov't cleaning up the graffitti on Morro Rock. They erased Kit Carsons carving of his name because who ever was doing it, did not recognize it as "historical" lol.

By the way.. follow them.. if it points..go that way. You may be surprised at what you find!

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that personal experience talking ss? lol.

Cdsieg,, I just mean take pictures of them and if you are inclined, gps mark them. Take pictures of each side. NESW It can get boring after a while I will admit, if you have more than few. And it may be a thankless task. But someone will appreciate it some day. I've contemplated what to do with some pics I have of trail trees that were cut down..but still waiting for illumination to come on that. If nothing comes along before my end I guess I will just donate them to the local archives. They just were not recognized as historically significant at the time by the powers that be. It reminds of something I read once about the gov't cleaning up the graffitti on Morro Rock. They erased Kit Carsons carving of his name because who ever was doing it, did not recognize it as "historical" lol.

By the way.. follow them.. if it points..go that way. You may be surprised at what you find!

I do have a gps so I know I can get coordinates if I can find the time! I wish I knew more about trees, so I would know what kind they are and about how old they might be, this would eliminate me doing trees that are too young and bent for other reasons, such as growing around something and etc. I went for a walk with my husband today and tried to find that first tree in my photos again, but no such luck. I did however find I think 3 more! (I haven't edited my photos yet, but if anyone is still commenting on here when I get that done, I will post them). There are about 12 miles of woods here so there is some ground to cover! And so much more metal detecting to do! LOL A question about these trees... is there anyone to notify if these are indeed tree markers?
Thank you so much for taking the time, to respond to my post and for sharing your experience and knowledge so freely.
Cindy

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
You DO have a "Pointer Tree" to the fresh water Spring; native ppl used them, then the explorers (Daniel Boone, etc), colonial ppl...; you also have "messages trees", modified use by "Shiners", LOL! If in NORTHERN Georgia, Trees were used to "lead to" GOLD! HH! GOOD LUCK!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry dim memory but there is a group that records Indian trail trees in the u.s.. some research should find them to see how they confirm.
Some pics they put up and maps of tree locations too i think. Thanks for sharing your pics.

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You DO have a "Pointer Tree" to the fresh water Spring; native ppl used them, then the explorers (Daniel Boone, etc), colonial ppl...; you also have "messages trees", modified use by "Shiners", LOL! If in NORTHERN Georgia, Trees were used to "lead to" GOLD! HH! GOOD LUCK!
Thanks for sharing! What did you mean by: "messages trees", modified use by "Shiners"
and what is a message tree?

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry dim memory but there is a group that records Indian trail trees in the u.s.. some research should find them to see how they confirm.
Some pics they put up and maps of tree locations too i think. Thanks for sharing your pics.
Thank you, I will see what I can find. I should have more trees on here soon!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks for sharing! What did you mean by: "messages trees", modified use by "Shiners"
and what is a message tree?

Tree yer dog was looking into is a messages tree; with "notes" to be picked up for various reasons (ppl that "knew" the trail). Moonshiners later use the hollows of the trees to accept prearranged "payment" for moonshine, etc... "TRUST" was established, sort of like a "honor system" among the "folks of the hills"...

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tree yer dog was looking into is a messages tree; with "notes" to be picked up for various reasons (ppl that "knew" the trail). Moonshiners later use the hollows of the trees to accept prearranged "payment" for moonshine, etc... "TRUST" was established, sort of like a "honor system" among the "folks of the hills"...
Thanks for explaining, I got thrown off by the word "Shiners", the ranch dogs name is Shiner and in the four months we are here Shiner's our dog! She sleeps in our RV and is treated just like my full time dog, spoiled rotten! I did not remember the topic of moonshiners and now feel like an idiot! LOL Thanks again for the information.

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you for that information, I looked it up and this is what I found, I thought I'd share it on here in hopes that we can educate others and help lead others to reporting their tree findings. Trail Tree Project

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you for that information, I looked it up and this is what I found, I thought I'd share it on here in hopes that we can educate others and help lead others to reporting their tree findings. Trail Tree Project

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted some more of the photos on this link here, I have found 10 trees so far. Please look here for some of the other trees I found.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...5-treasure-marks-signs-diagnosed-here-14.html

This forum at the link above is REALLY long, just go to the bottom of the page to find my post or Press your "ctrl" key and the letter "f" type cdsieg and press enter, it will take you right to it.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Neat. One on map in my state. Ouch. Sister sent a pic of her son by one,hope it was submitted. Used to be a few when we were kids but age was debated.
Figuring out where they lead next.:icon_scratch:

Last edited:
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat. One on map in my state. Ouch. Sister sent a pic of her son by one,hope it was submitted. Used to be a few when we were kids but age was debated.
Figuring out where they lead next.:icon_scratch:

I wish I knew which ones lead to the buried treasures! I also don't know what it means when you have two or three in eye sight and they all point to a different direction?

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stay with it cdsieg, keep gathering info. on the subject,keep doing your field work. it wont be easy. but you will start to understand what they are saying. i wouldnt post the gps. keep you and the place safe. good luck,and great photos.

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stay with it cdsieg, keep gathering info. on the subject,keep doing your field work. it wont be easy. but you will start to understand what they are saying. i wouldnt post the gps. keep you and the place safe. good luck,and great photos.
Thank you, I appreciate your words, and I will do my part to keep them safe!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions