Just a rock formation or something else ?

yokes

May 12, 2011
Over theyears Iā€™ve been on that site few times and every time something new catches myaye or see something on the photos Iā€™ve snapped. There is few old mines in that area, lastmined late 30ā€™s . Iā€™m going to add few more photos about some rocks around thatsite, might be just rocks but when I looked photos closely I start seeing allkinds of things, so all ideas and comments are welcome even if you think Iā€™mtotal nutcase and should get my eyes and head checked. Thanks.
100_0584.JPG 100_0583.JPG 100_0581.JPG 100_0580.JPG 100_0579.JPG

OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
SDC14047.JPG This one here is about 300 yards from that rockformation ,off to the left if you look that panorama photo.

OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
Here are few morephotos. Now this one here did catch my aye from some distant away and when Ihiked up to it, it kind of looked to me like some siting dog or some. At thetime I really didnā€™t think much of it, just interesting rock ,took somepictures and walked on. These two sites are about 5 miles apart but I canā€™t saythey are pointing t SDC16538.JPG o each other . SDC16537.JPG SDC16535.JPG
SDC16532.JPG

OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
DSCN0724.JPG
HTML:

Visited that site about a month ago. Couldnā€™t post any photos, because my computer wouldnā€™t let me do it. Two more things caught my eye. It kind of looks outline of heart to me on that boulder and it is a short distance away, kind like the snake head is pointing to it. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• DSCN0722.JPG
    DSCN0722.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 133

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Shucks yoke, I think you have a lot going on there. It is cool that you know where some mines are. Over time you may find some or the things you are seeing are actually a trail leading to one or more of them. Just the first pic - there is a lot there to me..however what stood out first was the faces, one in shadow on in light.What are they looking at? At first it is as simple as trying to follow one marker to another. Something looks , you look. something points..look or go that way. It is not always that way..but to start to make sense of what you have it might be a good way to start! And it is fun!

The second pic I marked below seems to have a couple layers of marking. The yellow arrows point out an odd petrologlyph or figure. Putting it into negative might help you see it. In the interior there seems to be some Spanish fluff artwork.

Then you need to make a judgement if the circled rock face has been modified or not. If not , think about negative space and images , edges and also look at the big picture (in other words zoom out). Eventually your eyes will be able to see some of the smaller more distinct real carvings and marks that I think are on both these monuments. On the second one, I believe it might be directing you to your left to next signs .But that cubbyhole...were those boulders placed or is that natural? Anyway welcome to the looney bin..lol .

100_0579rz.jpg

DSCN0722nh.jpg

OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
Thanks Desertmoon for pudding in your thoughts. That inspired me to look over all my photos of that site, old ones and the new ones. I also outlined things what I think might mean something.
First at all, the whole rock formation. ā€˜ā€™Snake headā€ and that shadow face looking or pointing at something
As I remember that ā€˜ā€™Snake headā€ kind of points to that cubbyhole and the shadow face I think looks at the boulder with heart outline on it

Attachments

• 100_0579.JPG
    100_0579.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 128
  • DSCN0724.JPG
    DSCN0724.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
  • DSCN0722.JPG
    DSCN0722.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 111
OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
On the closer photos of that snake head some other stuff got in my eye. I outlined them all. Some of it disappears when the photo was taken from different angle of different time. I think just to get my peace of mind , Iā€™m going to have to go there and metal detect the hell out of that site and thatā€™ll be it.

Attachments

• DSCN0710.JPG
    DSCN0710.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 131
  • DSCN0712.JPG
    DSCN0712.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
  • DSCN0714.JPG
    DSCN0714.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 118
  • 100_0583.JPG
    100_0583.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 115
  • 100_0580.JPG
    100_0580.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 126

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Good job yokes! Yes, there is often a correct spot to stand to see the signs. They will disappear if you move on or sometimes they disappear as you approach. My friend and I discussed this big monument. We both noted we did not see the things we would expect to see on a normal big trail monument. Can't see a horse , notches and others things. So to me the big monument is something different than a normal big trail monument saying go this way home, that way to the mines sort of thing. Yet cleary it is some sort of directional monument. I thank you for posting it because it might be specific to mining areas.

Now the time of day may not have been right to get the signs to appear. Some say 11-1 but I've found the reality is there are morning, noon and afternoon signs. Different purposes for each...put yourself in the mindset of those back then to figure the usages. But...sometimes that means just set your asset down , relax and watch for an hour or two or three.

On the big monument note there is a strong dark angled line or crack sort of pointing to the snake or perhaps pointing toward the sun face. . This is seen in the pic I marked up. I would not be surprised if there is info on the back of that snake. That is if there is room. That pic I marked up is one of the good angles. We felt that it possibly also wanted you to climb up by the sun face and look around. So yes you are right that is something to pay attention to whether you can climb up there or not.

As to the snake itself , well I think it is carved as all get out. But please remember others will not agree to that. Most call that kind of art work paredolia. I call it fluff but sometimes it is not fluff at all. Again others will not agree.

At this point in your career..I would suggest just follow the more major markers to get a feel for the place. Learn the little trails. Take pictures. Read old dog's thread. That will take some time but well worth it. Never ever give the location when posting or to "helpful" people that pm you unless you would trust them with your life.

It looks very interesting. I like the leaping rabbit on the snake and some of the simpler linear lines. MD sounds good but realize that stuff may be too deep for your rig. Oh, we both noticed those three dots on the snake.
Who knows, distance...or..3 mines or caches!
Have fun and this is one hobby where it really pays to slow way down when out and about.

OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
Thanks Desertmoons. Your post gave me some more ideas and motivation as well. Next week Iā€™m gonna go out there again and planning to spend the whole day there. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
SDC16854.JPG SDC16853.JPG SDC16851.JPG SDC16852.JPG

Was looking some my old photos and found these. Itā€™s not in the immediate area of the ā€˜ā€™snake headā€™ā€™ site but about a mile away and around 500 foot higher on elevation, next to some trail.
I canā€™t even think what it could symbolize. Maybe itā€™s another masterpiece of the nature but in my aye it kind of looks that somebody carved in there and it is seen if you walk downhill, going uphill, less you know itā€™s there, you most likely bypass it.
Anyway , another thing to take closer look.

OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
DSCN2567.JPG View attachment 816914 DSCN2569.JPG DSCN2574.JPG

Did some metal detecting around the immediate area and only thing I found is that rusty knife or whatever it is. Climbed up on the top of that monument. Standing on the front of it, there is only one way up there using just your bare hands. So when I got up there, I looked back behind me and first thing I saw was something what looks like rock face looking at me. Iā€™ve walked past it many times and it never caught my eye. Then looked down to that boulder cubbyhole, the top of it seems to have some marks and symbols on it but it just could be natural.

Last edited:

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see a Squirrel standing in behind of the Lion's head.

OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
DSCN2578.JPG DSCN2580.JPG DSCN2582.JPG DSCN2578.JPG

Behind that ā€˜ā€™snake head ā€˜ā€™ rock monument one lonely bolder caught my attention. On the face of it seemed like there was an arrow chiseled out, pointing down. If it was fractured off naturally, I didnā€™t see any peaceā€™s around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread