A tree too old to be read

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
Hello All,

I have located a tree that has a large cross about 1 1/2 feet long located about 15 feet up from the ground. Below that are quite a few symbols some that are readable and some that are so gnarled and grown together that I can not make them out. I wanted to ask the forum if anyone has had this problem and what was done to resolve it. I did not take any pics so have none to post sorry but did make a video so I can use it for reference. There is no way for me to access the site again until sometime around July due to snow depth. This tree is twice the diameter of the largest I have seen of it's kind in the area.. very old

Thanks in advance for any tried and true methods.
Bill

OP
OP
OldBillinUT

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
Flip,

It's possible not sure at this point. I got out the video and looked at it again last night. The bottom of the cross meets a horizontal oval maybe a foot long one side of which is filled in / has the bark all black but I can't see anything in that filled in area. Thats all that is up that high. On the side opposite the cross near eye level there is a rectangular panel aprox. 10x14 inches with markings inside but almost all are not readable. Outside the panel there are other symbols such as a triangle leaning to the left which has legs that extend past the base line of the triangle one leg the right side being longer than the other. I have found a mining claims on the mountain above this tree and another tree down the mountain with numbers on it that I thought may be referring to a bible verse. I looked up that set of numbers by chapter and verse and found a passage that mentioned being purified in a firey furnace. I did some checking on a USGS map I was given that shows known mineral deposits and this mountain has a silver deposit. In a test hole that someone had dug there is a layer of very blue clay a couple of feet down. Now I am wondering if there is a cache located in this area. Still considering the grave marker idea though thanks. I need to find out if they would make such a prominent marker and make it on a tree for a grave or graves. The big tree is not too far off an old very overgrown narrow road and near a perfect camp spot with a flowing spring. I would like to resolve the overgrown marking problem if possible as there are many and they would tell a lot just judging from what I can make out. I would like to know if anyone has used infared photography or something of that nature to bring out overgrown markings.
It may sound silly but this whole place has kind of a creepy feeling. Not far away I was sitting on a rock outcrop that has been cut squarely as if making a tunnel but was open at the top. I was sitting on the outcrop looking out over a small canyon below watching a white weasel running around a spring when something pushed me from behind and nearly made me fall into the canyon below. There was nothing on the ground behind me no wind and no one else there. I know this sounds far fetched and the jokers will have fun with it but it actually happened and bothered me enough I haven't been back to the outcrop area again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions