Links to 2 nice articles about Indian marker tree

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Thank you for sending out these articles. I am always interested in Indian Bent and or Trail Trees. There is still so much more to learn from these sentinels. They wont be around much longer.

I have had the privilege to gaze upon these trees since the early 70's when I read an article about Indian Thong Trees.

In 1956 while dad was clearing out some lake front property at the Ozarks, mom saw this odd shaped tree and took a photo with her 620 Brownie reflex camera. We didn't know anything about these kind of "trees" at that time. Dad cut the tree down!

I use the photo of that tree as my Icon; could have been a rare "Boundary Marker" shaped like a goalpost.

By the River

OP
OP
K

kldrawdy

Jun 15, 2006
Arlington, TN
Awesome picture, I love it. I love these trees and other evidence of our vanishing past.

At this link is a pic of a tree very like yours:

http://www.fossilcrinoid.com/fcmw1.html

I noticed the article said most of the trees used were white oak or beech.
I have a red cedar on my property that has a very unusual shape and I have wondered about it for some time. I will try to post a pic of it later for opinion and critique.

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Wow...another Bent Tree Enthusiast!

Have you been reading any of the other bent tree posts on the forum? I have acquired information I never heard of before. Such as they could also be KGC marker trees and Jesuit marker trees. At first I was skeptical of this theory, but my mind has been enlarged to the possibility that some of the trees I have located in Missouri and Arkansas could possibly be KGC Treasure Markers.

Please post the photo of your tree.

By the River

OP
OP
K

kldrawdy

Jun 15, 2006
Arlington, TN
Yes, I have been following these posts and they are very interesting. Since I have zero, nada, zippo, knowledge of these things I am unsullied by prior prejudices. I like to keep an open mind. In fact it is this forum that has sparked my interest. I have learned a tremendous amount from reading here. There is an amazing amount of collective knowledge here.

I am at work now but have the day off tomorrow and will get out and get a pic of the tree and post it tomorrow. I think the tree is way too young to be an Indian marker tree but it is unusual.

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
I have pictures of about 50 or so hootowls. Some of them could very well be natural. Others are depicted on beech carvings left by the KGC. So in my mind I have proof that the KGC created these in their treasure layouts if they tell me some details about them via carvings and then I can find them and see that they match up with what the carvings detailed about them. I read a long time ago that they learned to make them from the Indians. I cannot prove or disprove that. I would bet that most of the hootowls I've found were created by the KGC and not Indians.

Look at this one. It is a very large tree. It points due south, and then due west. Quite a coincidence.
Good luck,
Boattow

Attachments

• Hoot1.jpg
    Hoot1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 591
OP
OP
K

kldrawdy

Jun 15, 2006
Arlington, TN
Hootowls? I have never heard that term, how fascinating! That tree you posted is very impressive. I would like your opinion of the one in my pasture when I get it posted.

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Good morning Boat

Where did the descriptive term Hootowl originate!

I have only heard the term used on this site....so it is new to me!

I will place a Goggle Alert for "Hootowl Tree"

Very interesting tree photo, thanks for posting.

BTR

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
Hi,
I don't know where the term comes from. That would be interesting to know. I first heard it back in the 1980s. I've seen it used in the treasure hunter confidential newsletter, on the TH forums (I've been on here over 10 years now) and I believe the term is used in bob brewer's book as well.
Good luck,
Boattow

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
I am trying to find a reference but am not having any luck, but the lifestyle of an outlaw was referred to as "living on the owl hoot trail" I am pretty sure that this is where hoot owl trail and trees comes from........ maybe someone else will have better luck with google than me this morning.....

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
thanks for that infomation, I'll have to keep an eye out in my area.

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Good morning you all!

I am slipping, i failed to do my Google search....for Hoot Owl Trees! Will get on it today.

River

S

Smee

Enjoyed the links at the top of the page . . . dunno if this is one, but is old enough. Looks kinda like the one in the second link. This tree is dying, or may have already died. It is in Arkansas. If it's dead, it will be firewood by next winter so they can grow more tomatoes in this field.

Attachments

• tree01_500x375.jpg
    tree01_500x375.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 494

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Smee

Thanks for posting....this tree appears to be just a nice old tree.

Can you take a photo from another angle so we could see if there has been human manipulation of the branches. This angle fails to show any degree of bending.

Once you see a bent tree, you never get over it. Keep an eye out in the woods especially when the leaves have fallen off.

Thanks for sharing.

By the River

S

Smee

bytheriver said:
Can you take a photo from another angle so we could see if there has been human manipulation of the branches. This angle fails to show any degree of bending.

I have looked at the sites listed (unless I missed some) and still would like a little clarification of how to tell if there was manipulation. Just point me in the right direction ;)

S

Smee

Ok. This subject really interests me, as I am part of the Houmas nation.

A couple of things about the tree I posted earlier, and why I thought it might fit: There are actually 3 of these trees in a line . . . I will have to get back to check and make sure that my memory is not playing tricks on me . . . about 500 feet from the first tree to the last . . . evenly spaced. The center tree is the one in the picture. There is a state highway between #2 & #3. If you look at the picture above, there is a branch which comes off at a 90 degree angle to the trunk and parallel to the earth, then the branch makes a 90 degree turn skyward, with a "nose" just below it.

This is another tree which struck me as odd. It is located in a park near my home. The tree arches up smoothly until the right angle bend, which is actually a continuation of the original arch, only turned left. There are no branches at all below the turn, and 6 branches after the turn. All of these branches begin at right angles to the arch pointed skyward.

The lower trunk has a distinct twisting of the bark where the arching starts. and the twist continues up as far as my old eyes can follow. What do you think?

Attachments

• tree02_a.jpg
    tree02_a.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 432

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Smee

Thanks for sending some very good information on Hoot Owl Trees.

I am not able to comment on your photo since I don't feel I am, able to provide a proper interpretation.

I did notice a trail blaze mark at the bottom of the tree. The bend at the top is pointing; since it is so high up in the tree a person on a horse would probably spot the direction in which way to go.

I sent your links to other tree enthusiast, maybe they will be able to provide some explanation. We are all beginners in this area, even though we know there is so little information on these beauties of nature. We may never be able to crack the code of their secret language to share with the world, but I know we have been blessed to be a part of the tales they hold in secret.

Genesis 1:29, and God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree; in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

BTR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread