What do you think of this?

kbrocks

Greenie
Nov 16, 2006
NC & TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Okay, so first of all, I wasn't looking for this tree or anything similar. I was out on my father in laws land, heading out to an old home site to do some detecting. About 300 yards into the woods I come face to face with this tree. There are a few oddities on his land, other than the old barn foundations and cabin, there are 2 roads that have grown over with trees, and numerous small rock piles that shouldn't be there. Since I had my detector, I checked the area around the tree but got no signs. At a quick glance, the pointed part doesn't seem to point to anything in the immediate area. There are 3 spring fed streams on this land, and some small hills and some washouts. We had to forrest service out there a couple of years ago to survey, and judging by some of their other observations, I would say the tree is at the least, 80 years old and probably older. This is located on my father in laws 22 acres of land, in a hilly area near Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock, NC and about 20 miles away from the Blue Ridge Mountains. Anyway, it's the only tree like that I have seen on the land, and thanks to this forum, I couldn't walk past it without taking a picture and at least asking. Sorry for the crappy pic, was with my camera phone. Also, this area was supposedly big Indian country.

Clickable

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Beautiful tree....I will call it an Indian Bent Tree, Indian Thong Tree or Indian Trail Marker. Could possibly be a Jesuit Marker that will lead you to "treasure".

I love the clickable feature, this enabled me to enlarge the print. There was a big X, formed by long tree vines directly behind the tree. . I wonder if there is any meaning to this.

The nose of the extension has a branch that appears to have been grafted in as some kind of signal, directional or other secret message.

Maybe another member can shed some insight on this old beauty.

BTR

S

Smee

VERY Nice tree. I am starting to see a pattern after doing a lot of research, hope I am learning.

Found 3 similar trees in my travels here in Ashley County Arkansas yesterday and today. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera yesterday, but saw this one in a yard behind the store I work for in Crossett.

Am I getting warmer? (Sorry for the reflections, but the pic was taken out the passenger window of my Cherokee . . .  :'( )

I'll get the other pics (One is REALLY interesting as it is definitely a "pointer") this weekend probably.

Attachments

• tree01_400X500.jpg
    tree01_400X500.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,168

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
You got the "tree bug" once it gets you you are never the same!

Here is a good site from Georgia...I know there is so much to learn..

Several of us will be going to Hobbs State Park for a "Tree Finding Fun Filled Field Day Weekend" this March.

Arkansas is the most beautiful state in America! Don't tell that to Missouri!

http://www.ibsgwatch.imagedjinn.com/sites/forsythtrees1.htm

By The River

S

Smee

bytheriver said:
Arkansas is the most beautiful state in America! Don't tell that to Missouri!

Hey now!(just kidding)

Actually, being a native of south Louisiana, I kinda lean toward the swamps as being more beautiful than the rest.

Well, I went by this tree just now, from the opposite direction and there are definitely what look like lash marks between the "trunks" coming down in an inverted V, but the batteries in my camera gave out and it would not work. Gotta stop buying them cheap Duracell batteries ::)

Attachments

• petersburg.jpg
    petersburg.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,119
OP
OP
K

kbrocks

Greenie
Nov 16, 2006
NC & TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Interesting! It would be nice if it is a Thong tree or other marker of some kind. I'll be heading back out there in a few weeks, it's about 2 hours from where I live, so I'll bring the real camera and search the area really good for any other signs.

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Good morning Smee

Could be lash marks...the photo is kind of blurry! The usual marks left by the restraining method used are fairly obvious. The leather thong will leave an indentation on the bark of the tree, it will also constrict the bark, giving it the a rippled appearance. Anyway this is what I have noticed.

All comments and theories welcomed.

BTR

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
KBrocks

When you go out be sure to take clear picture of the nose. I would love to see how that twig was grafted into the snout....a twig inserted into the nob of the nose was a method used. (meaning?) (Secret Language)

Interperter needed! Please apply.​

I am also very curious about the big X formed by vines behind the tree.

If you are into treasure hunting, approach this as a treasure marker. Check for any rocks under or by the tree. If the tree is a marker for something buried it will be buried under a rock. Depth of a foot or deeper. It may be just a momento on some memorable occasion, or even a secret cache!

By the River

S

Smee

Here is the pointer tree I promised --- Got permission from the land owner to get a good close look and while they do not come through very well in my "fuzzy photos", there are both lash marks on the back of the curve and marks from some sort of prop (probably) used underneath.

Getting these pics posted has been an adventure to say the least! It started on Tuesday before 8:00 AM. Tried to start the jeep, my battery was dead. Hooked a charger to it for 15 minutes (now too late to go there, unless I ditched work) and it started . . . no more problems Tuesday or Wednesday. Took the above pics on Wednesday morning after putting a new set of batteries in my camera. Tried again Thursday, battery dead again. Hooked to charger for 15 mins and it cranked in time to leave for work. Replaced the jeep battery on Thursday. Friday morning, jeep fired up, drove to the site and the batteries in my camera died while trying to take pic. Opened new pack of batteries, they were dead out of the package. All of these things are probably related to the fact that it has been colder than normal here for the last couple of weeks.

The tree sits approximately 100' from a well travelled county road near Hamburg, Arkansas in Ashley County.

Attachments

• pointer01.jpg
    pointer01.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,060
  • pointer02.jpg
    pointer02.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,056
  • pointer03.jpg
    pointer03.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,043
S

Smee

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone who has catalogued these trees . . . their location, shape, direction, etc?

It might help to understand what they were saying by their different styles, different sizes, etc.

EDIT: Apparently there is such a database! CLICK HERE and then click on the link "The Trail Tree Project".

Attachments

• milo_ftn_hill_rd.jpg
    milo_ftn_hill_rd.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 989

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Nice tree! You had one of those days we all dread....been there done that. My latest dreadful day was just this past weekend. My grandson repaid a debt he owed to me. I folded the money and placed in my new very unfamiliar purse. I had many thoughts going through my head at that very moment. One of them was Wow he finally is able to pay me back. My thoughts also took me to what I could do with this windfall, buy me a metal detector! or take some vacation time and look for trees!

I knew for sure I needed to make a deposit, so I went to my purse to remove the money.....could not find the cash anywhere.....dumped out my purse looked under the bed, retraced my steps....Nothing! I was in a total senior moment state of anxiety. No new MD, No looking for trees all my thoughts were on finding the $$!... Gave up and said my prayers asked the Lord to surface this bounty for me...there was a real lost teasure in my own home...

This morning I stopped at McDonald's and ordered a Senior coffee.....reached into my purse for .50... I don't know how I did this; my hand went directly to a secret compartment in my purse...there was my booty!

Now back to trees!

Local Garden Clubs are one of the main contacts to ID these trees, as well as your local naturalist at the State Parks in the area.

Several Trees can be found at Hobbs State Park in Arkansas not far from Eureka Springs. Go to their website for park information.

In the past 3 years the Internet has been a valuable tool in researching these trees. Prior to that only hard copies from local newspapers in the Ozark area were available.

To keep you up to date as more information is added to databases do a Google Alert for the terms "Indian Thong Trees" beware you will also receive other thong related news! "Bent Trees" Indian Bent Trees" Indian Trail Markers"

Also do a Google search for "Elaine Jordan" "Laura Hubler" "Rita Hadley".

Laura Hubler's article in 1970 was my introduction to Indian Thong Trees. Her small column was published in the Lake Sun local paper in Sunrise Beach MO.

Elaine Jordan has a website with her trees listed.

Rita Hadley is not doing anything in this area at the moment. However she has a wonderful website.

Thanks for sharing your trees, and you bad day with us. Keep up the good work...

By The River

S

Smee

BTR:

Well, compared to the last time I posted, I've had several good runs. Since my job does require some driving in out of the way places while collecting past due accounts for my employer, I get to see a lot of the countryside.

Last weekend, I finally got up the nerve to ask to get a close up look at a tree I see every day on my way to work (see the first two pictures). Found out that the landowner had suddenly moved away, so I got to get very close to this tree . . . close enough to examine it for about 10 minutes before a neighbor drove up wanting to know what I was doing there. There are marks under the tree where the bend was formed and markings on the top where something was used to hold it in place. When I showed the pics to my wife (also of the Houmas Nation), she noticed something I had not paid attention to. If you looked at the tree while facing the "nose" it resembled a deer head. She suggested that maybe the trees in this formation could be a sign for game . . . this tree does point south to the area which is now the Casey Jones Wildlife Refuge, and has been known for its good hunting for well over 100 years. I have looked at a couple of other trees formed this way, and the ones I have see do all resemble deer heads, and do point to well known old hunting areas.

The third picture is of a tree I located today, oddly enough it is located at the southern end of the refuge area pointing north. It is the largest of the trees I have found, and looks as though someone had inserted a stick in the end of the "nose" which points almost skyward. I used to pass this tree several times a week when I hauled heavy equipment for a utility company. I could get no closer because the land is posted, and I don't know the owner.

The fourth picture is of another tree I located today while working. The photo does not do the tree justice. The entire surface of the tree is the same color green as an old copper roof decoration on a church. Since it has been a bit warmer here the last several days . . . and I didn't have my boots with me . . . I didn't risk finding any snakes by venturing out in the woods too far.

Hope you enjoy the pics, but I do have a question: I have found a very old oak tree which seems to have had some odd work done on it . . . there appear to be two snakes on the tree, each wrapping partly around it with the head at the top. Near one of the snakes' head is what looks like a deer antler sticking out of the trunk of the tree. Ever see anything like that? My digital camera just doesn't do it justice, so I guess I will have to break out the 35mm to get a good picture.

Attachments

• Ashley13Road.jpg
    Ashley13Road.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 786
  • Ashley20Road.jpg
    Ashley20Road.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 811
  • AR133N_head_on.jpg
    AR133N_head_on.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 828
  • AR133N_profile.jpg
    AR133N_profile.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 821
S

Smee

Think I found my first boundary tree today. Looks similar to the one in your pic, BTR. Need to get permission from the landowner in order to get closer to do a little examination to make sure it isn't just a casualty tree or oddity. The land is posted. There are two trail marker trees within 300' of this tree, pointing at another tree about .2 miles away (the tree posted above as AR133N ). This is getting quite interesting.

Attachments

• 001_640X480.jpg
    001_640X480.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 667

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
What do I think? Its marvelous!!!!

You are truly blessed to be able to work and locate these beautiful trees. Did you GPS the location?

Keep looking and posting these trees on Mountain Steward database.

Thanks
River

S

Smee

Every single tree I have found --- before today --- I was on a secondary highway or major highway and I was driving on blacktop roads. I pass within 500 feet of that boundary tree every day as I go to work.

There are two side roads, I usually take the first if I am heading that direction, but I had my 10 year old daughter with me yesterday . . . so I decided to take the other fork. They lead to the same place, but with all the logging that has been going on since Plum Creek bought out Georgia Pacific, I figured this plot had been clearcut also.

To my surprise, there was still a 10 - 15 acre stand of hard woods. When I saw that tree I almost ran in the ditch. Got out and took the digital pic from a tree with the ugly purple paint that Arkansas uses to show posted property.

Sure was glad to have my MD buddy with me, but she's usually bored but likes riding in the jeep and pickup thru the countryside. That was the first time she believed me about the trees because she was able to see 3 of them in a line . . . besides I never found one before while she was with me. She actually got excited about the boundary tree. Maybe this fall, she'll go tree hunting with me sometimes.

BTW, have you seen this site? http://downesstudio.net/trail_marker_tree.html

Has a page of pictures of trees, including some boundary trees . . . even has one photo of some kids crawing thru a hollowed out trail tree.

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Good morning Smee

Where's the pictures of the trees....! I can only imagine the excitement you felt when you saw them....please post pictures of the 3 trees!

My nine year old granddaughter will be with me on my next tree hunting expedition! Great experience for children...a lifetime of memories.

Thanks for keeping me updated on your finds...keep hunting, sharing and posting!

By The River

S

Smee

The other trees were barely visible. Took pics, but you can't even make them out. It was evening and they were very hard to see.

A friend invited me to visit an Indian mound on his property yesterday. He wanted to prove to me that the mound was just an earthen "anomally" and that there was nothing to it. On the southeast point of the mound there was a trail tree. He said: "Oh, I found one of those trees you were talking about." I told him he was right, then he started walking off.

Asked him where he was going, and he said he was going to lead me to the tree. Told him I already had my hand on the tree, and he was shocked. He didn't know that the tree we were standing next to was a trail tree. This one is really neat too! Has snakes carved into the bark, on on each side. After marking the location on my GPS and taking a couple of pics, he lead me to a casualty tree that actually had lost a branch years ago. Did look similar though.

Got invited back to tour all of his property.

Attachments

• snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 575
S

Smee

Forgot to include pic of rest of tree

Attachments

• P3110423_640X480.jpg
    P3110423_640X480.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 564

Top Member Reactions