OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Just because one guy dressed up like a clown kills people and buries them under his house, doesn't mean that all clowns are bad people does it? Just because the girl scout I bought cookies from forgot to give me my cookies(ate them), it doesn't mean I am going to start attacking them and running them out of my yard the next time I see one coming. Just my two cents
L.C. Baker "Freemason"

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
The K.G.C. owned and operated gold mines, company stores and mercantiles in Colorado. It was the steady flow of gold that attracted them there.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will have to give it a shot. I think a blood hound might work.:laughing7: Just think how much you could sell his pups for if they were proven cache hunters!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I should have covered the basics of his technique. He would begin training the dog fairly soon after the pup was weaned. Making it a game of play to teach the pup that that particular smell was GOOD and fun.....with a small reward. He'd use old paper money as the play toy and eventually used some old bills.....SMALL denominations LOL, and cut it up and soaked it for a while to make it old and moldy.....like it was buried in an old wallet. With the puppy being raised connecting the smell of new, old, and old & moldy bills he or she will know that if he finds that "fun" thing, he'll get a reward.

The man who wrote that book said that a few times he was a little embarrassed by his dog who would go up to someone on the street and "indicate" on their back pocket. LOL I think the hardest thing would be deciding on what the dogs signal would be to indicate he'd found the "good" thing.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I should have covered the basics of his technique. He would begin training the dog fairly soon after the pup was weaned. Making it a game of play to teach the pup that that particular smell was GOOD and fun.....with a small reward. He'd use old paper money as the play toy and eventually used some old bills.....SMALL denominations LOL, and cut it up and soaked it for a while to make it old and moldy.....like it was buried in an old wallet. With the puppy being raised connecting the smell of new, old, and old & moldy bills he or she will know that if he finds that "fun" thing, he'll get a reward.

The man who wrote that book said that a few times he was a little embarrassed by his dog who would go up to someone on the street and "indicate" on their back pocket. LOL I think the hardest thing would be deciding on what the dogs signal would be to indicate he'd found the "good" thing.

our border collie will dig where ever I want him to by just tapping the ground and telling him to dig. I taught him to do it because of moles in our yard. He is a genius and easy to teach, but it may be too late for the money thing with him.
L.C.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you classify a Border Collie as a "sight" hunter or a "scent" hunter? The author of the book suggests that the best dogs to train for finding money, gold, etc. would be one that hunts, primarily by scent. His favorite breed was Blood Hound. His personal dog was a female Blood hound.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
he is a sight dog that works off of hand signals and whistles.The blood hound would be a good pup to start with, or a hound of some other kind, perhaps coon hound even.
L.C.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This topic has come up several times in past years on TNet. Here's the latest Google search return:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gol...1&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

No matter what the subject, there's always the believers and the non-believers. That's the way the game is played, I guess. The Money Dogs author wrote his book on the subject of training dogs to find OLD MONEY BILLS, as in the hidden caches left by the old mobsters, farmers, crooked bankers, lawyers, etc. Any hidden or LOST bundles or pocket wads of bills.

I happen to believe that if dogs can be trained to sniff out drugs, explosives; even certain medical problems, then they can be trained to smell out raw gold.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
No matter what the subject, there's always the believers and the non-believers. That's the way the game is played, I guess. The Money Dogs author wrote his book on the subject of training dogs to find OLD MONEY BILLS, as in the hidden caches left by the old mobsters, farmers, crooked bankers, lawyers, etc. Any hidden or LOST bundles or pocket wads of bills.

I happen to believe that if dogs can be trained to sniff out drugs, explosives; even certain medical problems, then they can be trained to smell out raw gold.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. A friend who worked in Durango, MX, forty years ago told me a guy there had a dog who could find gold coins. The guy was looking for Villa loot and hadn't found any, but supposedly the dog had found coins on beaches. The problem would be depth of burial and amount of time to cover ground, it seems to me.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Honestly ......I would like to try and train a dog to find gold. Then I could send him in to the "HARD TO GET TO" places....it would be perfect!!!! If somebody came along I could scold him for digging up their yard! You come here you bad dog! It's flawless..:laughing7:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly ......I would like to try and train a dog to find gold. Then I could send him in to the "HARD TO GET TO" places....it would be perfect!!!! If somebody came along I could scold him for digging up their yard! You come here you bad dog! It's flawless..:laughing7:

Many areas have lease laws that are enforced with STEEP FINES that could wipeout any profit you may have that day. In my hometown, the fine is $400 for the first offense. :)

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMAO...........good luck. :coffee2: :icon_thumleft:

EDIT: Check the local laws closely. Sometimes they do not effect you IF you are accompaning your dog, as in going out for a walk, and the dog responds well to your call and doesn't tend to run off. Check with the local police department / city hall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
The territory of Colorado was infiltrated by the K.G.C. in 1861 maybe even sooner. We have records stating that there was at least three Knights, high in the ranks of the K.G.C. that went there to do covert operations. There was more actions by the O.A.K. in the state after the civil war ended. has anyone ever found K.G.C. symbols around Julesburg or Colorado Springs, or Pueblo?
L.C.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
"Laying the groundwork?" You nailed it! They also had other operations based there near Pueblo. I would like to go there and scout it out one of these days. Thanks for all of the info. great post!

L.C.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread