Is this worth it? Carvings in Rock.

shadowwalker

Feb 19, 2006
I am in Tennessee now. But not permanent. But after seeing this forum I got two places to discribe.I always thought this was carved petroglyphs by native americans. The first is on a high ledge about 1/4 mile above a big high mountain basin. Probably 15 square miles inside of it. Now on the ledge. You got to walk in a foot path that is between 1 foot and 2 foot wide. I goes along the side of a sandstone rock mountain it is probably 300 yards long. It stops at a pointed overlook. Now I will describe the spot. I have spent several hundred hours looking off this place. I have got alot of good mule deer and antelope from here. You see where they bed down or come out a dusk. Not much hunting pressure so the good ones still are here. So it's not something I saw a once or twice many years ago. The spot was used by native americans for sure. There is many, many thousands of pieces of flint on this spot. It is a natural wind carved flat spot with a overhang that extends past the flat spot. The flat spot never gets rain, little sun. But the native americans sat here looking for game, other people, ect. To pass the time they didn't have cell phones or radios. The knapped arrowheads.
The flatspot is shaped like a triangle. Maybe 25 feet across at the back coming to a point maybe 30 feet out. This slopes downward. Now to describe the "petroglyphs".
As you set on a small log cut by a axe and brought in many years ago. In toward the front of the triangle. There is a BIG arrow carved into the sandstone.It is like you draw a line with a fat magic marker. It is probably 4 or 5 inches across to a point triangle maybe 10 inches going to a point maybe 15 inches long. It is almost 2/3's the size of the floor, pointing outside toward the basin. About two or three feet from the end with the point. It bends, it points out toward a slopeing saddle type formation on the opposite end ot the basin. Now it will get good. for somebody.
As you sit on the log above your head (the overhang is about 5 1/2 feet above the floor) you see a almost perfect circle of the sun, it has 9 rays pointing outward from the circle. It is maybe 1 foot across. Using the back of the cave as a reference I will discribe the carvings. The rays are semmetrical around the circle, they are probably 3 inches long. Just inside the circle from the seventh or eighth ray is a wedge, with the big end just touching the circle. It kinda points like the big arrow points. Exactly at the end of the circle pointing out of the overhang is little things like a grave yard cross, except all the vertical lines are slanted with the up end kinda pointing in the same general area as the big arrow. Down off the side of the circle maybe two feet away is two symbols like two capital U's connected with a small bar slash. There is also painted petroglyphs from native americans over the carvings. Mostly game animals and people.
Now as you drive into this basin going to the lookout spot. There is this big, maybe 25 feet across. Capital Q or maybe a cursive 2. It can only be seen in the afternoon shade. How I know this is sometimes I go there in the afternoon about 3 pm. I can see this carving and yes I have stood below it and walked it at midday.If you know about where to look you can see the carved out sandstone. But it only stands out when the sun is going down a certain way.
A road comes across the top of the saddle that the arrow points to. This is a big granite range of mountains. I do remember some odd rockslides. I am just guessing here. I do remember one of them and it didn't have a place that should have had them rocks fall from as the spot above it is bare like a polished river rock. It is on public land. And I already had two spots took over. When I "told the proper people". I'll post about the next petroglyphs in another time.

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Shadowwalker:

Not sure what you meant by "tell the right people"... but, at this point, I wouldn't tell anybody - not that somebody hasn't seen it before. But, if anyone did, apparently they don't know what it all means.

By no means am I an expert on signs (there are folks on this site that are), but I have picked up a book titled, "Treasure - Signs, Symbols, Shadow & Sun Signs" by Charles Kenworthy. It seems definitive to me. Much of what you are describing is contained in it.

Buy it, or go to the library. It may be worth it.

Starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Shadowwalker:

PS: You sound to be a thoughtful person, so you this has probably already ocurred to you. Just a word... it seems as if there may be some real history attached to the places you described. Follow the leads, but count what's there as valuable from an archeological perspective. Some stuff transcends treasure hunting - and you almost certainly will get what you need without damaging anything. Imagine, forty years hence you can take your grandkids there and show them why they all have trust funds.

Starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
PSS: Check out the other post on Kenworthy's book. Gldhntr is not impressed, but he has a couple suggestions for other authors.

OP
OP
S

shadowwalker

Feb 19, 2006
I would like to thank the people that have replied. I got alot of good info. I got some leads on other books and websites. I am afraid I will not be posting on the other spot I was going to ask about.It looks like a trail to a mine, from the markings carved into a rock. It is behind a large bush. I found it, because it is a bush unlike no other one in the small valley. In the mountains. I found it because I got wet crossing a big creek and wanted a spot to dry out my clothes. While sitting on the rock. With my clothes laying on it drying. I noticed carvings in the front of it, I pushed back the bush and found alot more of them. I again, hunted that area alot, and had on occasions wanted to know what kind of idiot took the time to carve stuff like a little kid would do. Into that rock! I will be back in wyoming in a few years, maybe for a visit sooner. I am following the advise of people on this site. The road into the site was washed out four years ago and is unacessable without alot of work. But I now have a four wheeler and it will get in and out for sure. I will tell of some other places I have been in wyo and montana, alittle later on. I have walked the oregon trail, dug in spanish copper mine workings, found light green jade clear as glass.
I will relate the two times I got burned by the "right people" to just tell you.
First, my brother and I found some odd rings made out of rocks in the ground. These were probably 20 to 30 feet across. They were on a flat spot in a small area beside a river. We got to checking and found they were Tee Pee rings. We also started our excavation of the fire pits. We could find those. We got beads and three sewing kits, and arrowheads, flint, axe heads ect. Not alot but we didn't dig a whole lot. There were 17 rings so we had some to go. I was 18 my brother was younger. I had a girlfriend that I finally took there. She was in college, she talked me into telling a teacher at the university of wyoming. He met me and acted like he truly was interested in my find. He laughed, joked, told stories, and took down exact directions. I felt pretty important that this studious, important looking man took interest in my "Little Find" as he kept referring to it, as. The university took my finds with the help of the state goverment. Took over the excavation of the area. I got out of it with a good scareing.
The second spot was a place I used to go gold panning in a small creek. I used to go and maybe get 1/2 to 1 oz. in a weekend of panning. It just depended on how bad I stayed after it. I had known a friend for over 6 years, we hunted, fished, chased girls, worked, ect. Together and never once did I think he'd mess me over. I showed him the spot one weekend. We panned, fished and had a good time. He told another friend of his out another state. That person filed a claim on the creek. He got in there and dredged and semi mined the area. He was made a rich man. He has never had to work again. That was just after my 19th birthday.When he filed the claim. In 1978. I do have friends in wyoming, but riches do a mean thing to a man. I don't want to read about the good fortune of one of my buddies, in some newspaper.

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
Sorry to hear you had such a rotten experience :( Sounds like an awsome place to reflect and unwind each hunting season! awsome Keep it to yourself and good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread