Rock marker

krdigger

Jan 30, 2005
I have found a pile of rocks(most the size of cantaloupes) approximately 2 1/2 feet tall, 3 feet in circumference in the woods about 100 yards from an old wagon road. It sits half way up a hill. Any ideas what it could be. Indians were prevalent in the area. It is about 1 mile from one of the first houses in the area. This marker is obviously extremely old. Good deal of moss and lichens. Thanks for any ideas.

V

Vingamel

Could be they are fossilized cantaloupes, eh?

I dunno, maybe a cairn--a trail marker.

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Years ago I was moving around Texas not far from San Saba. And stoped at a cattle ranch to see if I could find someone there that would be willing to talk local History with me. I did more then that. The rancher sat me down to a dinner fit for a king, I never saw so much food sat out for only the rancher , ( I forget his name, To long ago.) His wife and myself. After dinner he showed me some stuff he'd found around caves and hills of Tex., guns, clothing, ect.. Then he showed me a worked stone and asked me if I new what it was? The stone was very well worked and took some time to do, It was around 10'' long and 3'' sguare, I told him I thought it was a way bill to a very likely treasure! He didn't say much about stone after that. Except when I asked him where he found the stone. He said he found it under a pile of stones sitting on a large rock. And some yr's later I saw in a treasure mag. what looked like the same stone, was used to find four piles of gold bars at different distance off 4 sides of the large rock. Ask yourself! There must be a reason to go to the effort to pile up stones in the woods. Its like a flag! Have fun, could be a stash. Monk

OP
OP
K

krdigger

Jan 30, 2005
Thanks for the advice Monk. The weather is supposed to be nice this week.The ground is thawing also. Hope to get up there and look around.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
some western indian tribes had a custom to every time they walked by the grave of an elder whom they held in high honor they would add a rock to his pile over burial, this was so the people would remember him.....i would check it out though as he might have had one of onions rings on him at time of burial....we will all say you are an archeologist.......

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are You anywhere an old timer might have claimed. Out here in Colorado thats about the size of a lot of monuments I run across. The old timers liked the stones heavy but not backbreaking. About the size of cantaloupe would describe these stones best. If you are somewhere that has abundant flint nodules I could envision this as a claim monument.

Wild Boulder

TREASURE TEACHER

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2014
Iran
Detector(s) used
Exp 4000 - gpr / okm - Germany
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need to see a picture of this place and its surroundings in order to guide you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread