bare ground in middle of snow covered field?

G

georgyb

***I didn't know where else to post this, so please feel free to move this post***

I have been researching a possible cache site for the past few years which has lead me to its general area. The area is a sloped, tree-less field covered with about 6 inches of snow. Here comes the odd part: There is a part of the field that has no snow on it and no grass on it. The entire rest of the field is grassy and covered with snow. The snowless area is rectangular (about 6ft. by 12ft.). I checked to see if there is any angle during the day that the sun would be directly on the snowless spot, but since it's a large field with no tall trees nearby, I came up with nothing. My question is, is it possible that there is some sort of cave or void that has a temperature warmer than the outside air? Any input would help ??? George

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds to Me like There Must be a reason. especially if the spot is a perfect or Almost perfect Rectangle. I would definately try to at least Detect the site. There is the posability of it being that the ground is different there, however . WHY would it be Rectangular ? or it could be a CELLAR .? let us know what you find out ; jeff? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Is there any chance of a Septic Tank in the area. ? dosn't sound like it if it's in the middle of a field. but could also be a Spring, pushing water warmer then the surrounding snow

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
All I could think of was a septic also, but a rectangle? The spring is a possibility also but again rectangle?

OP
OP
G

georgyb

Thanks Jeff and Ken- There is an old cess pool and well, but I know exactly where they are and they aren't close by. "The spot" is not a perfect rectangle, but it is rectangular.The thing that's bugging me is that there is no grass growing in that spot. If it was a cellar or some other man-made void, would it be able to melt the snow on the top of the ground?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly don't know if a void can, unless it is heated somehow. BUT, there must be a logical reason. PUT it this way. You say no Grass is growing there. The Sun may be heating a large piece of metal or Cement just under the dirt covering it, which may be a very thin coat of dirt. What about LIME ?

jimmyokla

Dec 19, 2004
could someone have had some plyboard lying there or several pieces that might had killed the grass under it and removed it after the snow? just a thought

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
If there is something metal or concrete buried there the sun may heat it up and cause the snow to melt.? DO YOU HAVE A PIC?? The grass may not be there for a number of reasons.? I know of several places that have no grass on them while tall grass grows around it for no reason.? Also it could have to do with the acidity of the ground.? I would check it out, oh it could be an animal den under ground so kinda be careful...

PS. You can get an old Civil Defence radiological detector off of ebay for around 30 to 40 dollars.

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1; pics are good
2; any rocks around?
3; any moss?
4; does it "smoke" when its cold?
5; is it slightly depressed (a psychologist is not neccesary)
6; does it "suck"or "blow" any air at all?
it might be a karst feature if any of these are present. iv'e seen them in the middle of a flat field.
i like the possibility of a radioactive site better though.
H.H. searcher

OP
OP
G

georgyb

Thanks for the replies everyone! I didn't think I get so many, so fast!

The field in question is on the property of a current residence (semi-rural). There were no human tracks in the snow to indicate that anyone had been there after the snowfall. There is no moss, rocks, or anything unusual about it, just a bare dirt spot in the middle of a snow covered field. Maybe I should just start digging? I'll try to get some pics today.

jimmyokla

Dec 19, 2004
i figured it out................someone landed a helicopter there when it started to snow and just sat there till it was done snowing and they took off again or it might be a crop circle LOL

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bare ground would absorb heat faster than grassy ground and hence melt faster. Notice how the snow collects on the grass first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions