mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey mdog, this guy I found looks similar to the guy you found. Go figure.

View attachment 1499350

Very strong resemblance, Steve. Too strong to discount. Is he possibly near a watering hole of some sort? I realize that is a much drier terrain there, just curious.

Edit: Sorry, Mdog, didn't see your post before I chimed in, lol.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
What can you tell us about this image you found, Sdcfia. It does have the fangs, the Google eyes and what could be tears. It also looks like there might be more stuff by it.

The carving is at a site with hundreds of petroglyphs of widely differing ages and styles. The site is right above a spring in the Cookes Range on an ancient east-west trail later used as part of the Butterfield route. There are also structure ruins and bedrock mortars, indicating some level of occupation. The site is alleged to contain a back-filled chamber of some sort, but is closely monitored by the BLM as a cultural study site. Allegedly, Estevanico left a carving here, but I've never been able to find it. Further east - all the way to the Rio Grande - other similar fanged faces have been found. Below are a some other interesting finds there. The cat tracks are very close to the google-eyed guy. The last photo is the covered up place.

Cat tracks.JPG Poseidon.JPG

Quetzalcoatl-3.jpg Final approach-2.JPG

Totonteac-6.JPG Covered up 3.JPG

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very strong resemblance, Steve. Too strong to discount. Is he possibly near a watering hole of some sort? I realize that is a much drier terrain there, just curious.

Edit: Sorry, Mdog, didn't see your post before I chimed in, lol.

Exactly,they could be twins. This stuff is amazing. Thanks.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
The carving is at a site with hundreds of petroglyphs of widely differing ages and styles. The site is right above a spring in the Cookes Range on an ancient east-west trail later used as part of the Butterfield route. There are also structure ruins and bedrock mortars, indicating some level of occupation. The site is alleged to contain a back-filled chamber of some sort, but is closely monitored by the BLM as a cultural study site. Allegedly, Estevanico left a carving here, but I've never been able to find it. Further east - all the way to the Rio Grande - other similar fanged faces have been found. Below are a some other interesting finds there. The cat tracks are very close to the google-eyed guy. The last photo is the covered up place.

View attachment 1499419 View attachment 1499420

View attachment 1499421 View attachment 1499422

View attachment 1499423 View attachment 1499424

Thanks SDC. You mention an east-west trail and more of the fanged faces being found. Can you tell me if the other fanged faces are found near the trail and other springs? Thank you.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mdog did you notice on SDC second photo just below the mouth, that shape sure looks like the same as whats at your site.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks SDC. You mention an east-west trail and more of the fanged faces being found. Can you tell me if the other fanged faces are found near the trail and other springs? Thank you.

Yes, the old trail followed springs, which are hard to identify now except for small clusters of petroglyphs. The fanged face was found in the Goodsight Mountains and the Rough and Ready Hills, as I remember. I recall seeing photos of it somewhere north of Las Cruces too, but I'm not sure where.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mdog did you notice on SDC second photo just below the mouth, that shape sure looks like the same as whats at your site.

I'm seeing an owl there.....hell I'm seeing them everywhere now. :BangHead:

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

Are you talking about the owl shape just under the mouth?

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

Here's Sdc's picture of the bearded man next to one of my pictures.

sdc bearded man 500.jpg bearded man 500.jpg

Mine shows a bearded man on the right side and a shadow owl to the left and up. If that image below the mouth in Sdc's picture was fashioned to look like an owl and if the bearded man is close to the fanged guy, then these are two similar setups because the round headed guy is just around the corner of the bluff in my picture. How far away is your bearded man from your fanged man, Sdc. Fangs for your time. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Interesting name for that site. This WI woman has done a boatload of research into copper and other ancient artifacts, mostly from her part of the country. I used to get a monthly newsletter, but those ended. Copper Artifact Master Database - Grimms Etc

Yes Sdc, it does have a very interesting name and it is an interesting place. In my post #134, I mentioned wooden posts erected in the middle of mounds at Aztlan. On page 92 of this link, there is a description of a stone formation several miles west of Aztlan. It also mentions a couple of important petroglyphs found close to the stone.

https://books.google.com/books?id=1...ding stone of missouri hill wisconsin&f=false

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
Yes, the old trail followed springs, which are hard to identify now except for small clusters of petroglyphs. The fanged face was found in the Goodsight Mountains and the Rough and Ready Hills, as I remember. I recall seeing photos of it somewhere north of Las Cruces too, but I'm not sure where.

Hmm, there may be a fanged guy here and there in S NM.

taddyp.JPG

About your first fanged guy with the eyeglasses - I have the same one in my collection, and I don't play much where you said you got it. Just saying - I bet you have been all over the place over the years. So, if you go looking for it in person or your archives, then my suggestion may or may not help.

I love the Aztec-y looking stuff at FP. How 'bout that monkey and parrot one over towards Cruces? Definitely big trade networks.

For the group: regarding geometry: how about trying the Golden Section? Relevant geometry may be "invisible". Key off the ends of your existing points, or go in-between them. Ratio is 1:1.618. So, can treat distance M (see what I did there - topic relevance!) between points A and B as total distance of 2.618. Or, go off the ends. Then, make new circles. Look for missing points in your geometry and then drop flags.

Sounds exhausting....

sdc, it may be interesting to apply to your big geometry project if it's an interesting enough new angle.

Regarding owls: I never seem to run across them (symbolically) myself. Maybe that's why I'm still just an enthusiast.

A beautiful, huge white one rose straight up out of an old shaft down near the border once - wings seemed far too big to clear the (vertical) opening! Near silent. Old dusty martial arts training put me into an involuntary three-point stance as always, which was a bit awkward with the metal detector and rock hammer, but I've yet to drop things. Silly to the point of defending myself from monsters (quail, usually) with my plastic nugget scoop when I have a perfectly good pistol right at my side - but that's the effect of old muscle memory and training.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's Sdc's picture of the bearded man next to one of my pictures.

View attachment 1499920 View attachment 1499921

Mine shows a bearded man on the right side and a shadow owl to the left and up. If that image below the mouth in Sdc's picture was fashioned to look like an owl and if the bearded man is close to the fanged guy, then these are two similar setups because the round headed guy is just around the corner of the bluff in my picture. How far away is your bearded man from your fanged man, Sdc. Fangs for your time. :icon_thumright:

A hundred yards, maybe less.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes Sdc, it does have a very interesting name and it is an interesting place. In my post #134, I mentioned wooden posts erected in the middle of mounds at Aztlan. On page 92 of this link, there is a description of a stone formation several miles west of Aztlan. It also mentions a couple of important petroglyphs found close to the stone.

https://books.google.com/books?id=1...ding stone of missouri hill wisconsin&f=false

Thanks for the link, dog. There is so much good stuff in the upper midwest and the entire Mississippi Valley that it makes your head spin. The artifacts, intaglios, and mostly disappeared structures and trails are not only intriguing, but quite mysterious when you apply the axis mundi directional links ala guys such as Cort Lindahl and others. How's your Tylenol supply?

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm, there may be a fanged guy here and there in S NM.

View attachment 1499925

About your first fanged guy with the eyeglasses - I have the same one in my collection, and I don't play much where you said you got it. Just saying - I bet you have been all over the place over the years. So, if you go looking for it in person or your archives, then my suggestion may or may not help.

I love the Aztec-y looking stuff at FP. How 'bout that monkey and parrot one over towards Cruces? Definitely big trade networks.

For the group: regarding geometry: how about trying the Golden Section? Relevant geometry may be "invisible". Key off the ends of your existing points, or go in-between them. Ratio is 1:1.618. So, can treat distance M (see what I did there - topic relevance!) between points A and B as total distance of 2.618. Or, go off the ends. Then, make new circles. Look for missing points in your geometry and then drop flags.

Sounds exhausting....

sdc, it may be interesting to apply to your big geometry project if it's an interesting enough new angle.

Regarding owls: I never seem to run across them (symbolically) myself. Maybe that's why I'm still just an enthusiast.

I've seen carvings like your tadpole-looking guy before, too. If I can find some, I'll post. I think there might be one at Pony Hills, just west of the Post #183 site and every bit as intriguing, if not more in some ways. That entire Cookes Range is awesome. Have you seen this goggle-eye fellow? He's known as Cuco the bogeyman.

Cuco rock 4.JPG

Yes, I spent many, many hours applying the phi ratio to spatial relationships of things found on the ground. I was fortunate because at the time I was still working with land modeling and surveying AutoCAD software for a paycheck out of my home office. After hours, I was able to very accurately plot all my discoveries on various layers with topo and township grid backgrounds, then overlay the whole shebang with squared circles, nautilus spirals, KGC templates, Solomon temple footprints, et al and scale them up and down at will to see what the relationships might be. There were some interesting coincidences, but a million down-the rabbit-hole possibilities. At a certain point, I abandoned the strategy.

I had much more interesting results with basic geometrical shapes and straight lines, especially applying certain repeating azimuth alignments. Also, I've played some intuitive hunches (mine and others') that have led me to important finds. Sometimes we tend to overthink this stuff and get confused.

I think owl symbology is intriguing, but I've never found an obvious (to me anyway) example in the field. Not one.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks for the link, dog. There is so much good stuff in the upper midwest and the entire Mississippi Valley that it makes your head spin. The artifacts, intaglios, and mostly disappeared structures and trails are not only intriguing, but quite mysterious when you apply the axis mundi directional links ala guys such as Cort Lindahl and others. How's your Tylenol supply?

You're welcome and Tylenol supply is good. This stuff is easy compared to the geometry.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Who named Cuco?

Allegedly, a letter written in Spanish was found in the ruins of an old adobe house in Santa Clara NM. I neither know when the letter was written or by whom, nor who found it or when. I may be wrong about the town as it's been quite a few years since I heard the story, but Santa Clara seems to be the home of many secrets.

I haven't seen the entire contents of the letter, but a few lines from it were included in a private booklet entitled Secrets of La Sierra de Cuco, written by my surveying buddy Johnny Sosaya ~2001/2002 that discussed several intriguing Cookes Range petroglyphs.

"Al rumbo al norte, pasado Las Tres Hermanas, encontraras La Sierra de Cuco que come de la mesa. Aye tanto oro que se qui de la mesa."

Translated as, "To the north, beyond the Three Sisters Mountains, you will encounter a mountain range where a bogeyman eats off the land. There you will find so much gold that it spills over the land."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions