All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
You ever wonder about the stone animal shaped monuments, for example the pig, why a pig? In Charles Kenworthy's book, Spanish Monuments and Trailmarkers to Treasure in the United States, he has several pictures of large rock formations shaped like pigs. From the surrounding terrain, I assume the pictures were taken in the southwest. These formations are large, dozens of feet in length. There is another book titled America B.C. written by Barry Fell that also has a picture of a stone pig, much smaller, found near Woodstock, Vermont. Fell writes that the pig indicated a sacred site close by and was the work of Celts from ancient Iberia who worshipped a mother goddess. The goddess Artemis had three favorite animals, the deer, the bear and the wild boar. Here is a link that describes the use of stone animal monuments in ancient Iberia.

Verraco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Here's an excerpt from the link that follows.

Celts In Spain Inland Spain followed a different course. To the west and north developed a world that classical writers described as Celtic. Iron was known from 700 BC, and agricultural and herding economies were practiced by people who lived in small villages or, in the northwest, in fortified compounds called castros. The people spoke Indo-European languages (Celtic, Lusitanian) but were divided culturally and politically into dozens of independent tribes and territories; they left behind hundreds of place-names. Celts, living on the central mesetas in direct contact with the Iberians, adopted many Iberian cultural fashions, including wheel-made pottery, rough stone sculptures of pigs and bulls, and the eastern Iberian alphabet on coins and inscriptions, such as the bronze plaque from Botorrita (Saragossa), but they did not organize themselves into urban settlements until the 2nd century BC. Metalworking flourished, and distinctive neck rings (torques) of silver or gold, along with brooches and bangles, attest to their technical skills. The Mediterranean way of life reached the interior only after the Romans conquered Numantia in 133 BC and the Asturias in 19 BC.

CELTS

on the hunt

Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SSP 414 043.JPG Hello mdog speaking of the Pig take a look at this pic. This pic has some very interesting things in it but take a look at this pig.

on the hunt

Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SSP 414 038.JPG Mdog I thought you might find this pic interesting as well take a look at this horse. Have you ever seen or heard of any horse monuments?

on the hunt

Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SSP 414 018.JPG Mdog after I read your links that you posted I thought I would post this pic also. Take a look at this little calf laying on the ground.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Hi OTH, sometime I have trouble spotting your stuff but, on these three pictures, the images are easy to spot. I've never seen a calf or pig but I have seen a big horse head in shadow art. I haven't been able to figure out how it was created though.

Here's a link that might give you an idea about how these animal shapes might have been used together.

Greek & Roman Mythology - Tools

You have to figure out why somebody would create animal figures in a specific place and there should be some evidence that the figures were created by man. Here's an example. There was a stone snake, at the site I study, with a raised head and elongated body with a hump that formed a hole that is shaped like an eye. Here is a picture of a carving that has the same shape.

eye of bel 500.jpg

The top carving is shaped like the hole formed by the snake.

The snake, in ancient times, was associated with several goddesses. By itself, it could have been something that mother nature created, but on the raised snake head, there was a carved spiral. There is a book titled Sailing to Paradise and the author believes the spiral is related to ancient goddess worship. So, there are three things that could be evidence that the snake was manmade, the snake, the eye shaped hole and the spiral. This next picture shows a Mayan snake with a spiral on the head...not my pictures but I don't know who to give credit to.

gw_gdj_serp.jpg

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
OTH, with the three pictures you posted you might want to think about a sacred or sacrificial site and look for more evidence along those lines. I've seen pictures from your site and I think you had a column shaped rock on top of a bluff that might give you more clues.

fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mdog mentioned the M and possible meaning early on here. The Peaks are a good idea. I read somewhere that the M can also mean valleys - as in "go to the next canyon/valley". I suppose anything is possible. I have found an M in the field, by itself - but there are a lot of canyons around.

Sing Reseracher

Nov 4, 2014
Iran /Tabriz
Detector(s) used
Many of detectors for example lorenz x3 /x5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi . i invited you to Participate in classes of the Treasures signs & marks

The first lessons of the treasure signs

Thanks

Jimbo^

Nov 5, 2013
Detector(s) used
Leased devices dependent upon site
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think you may be pushing a bit too hard my friend......

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, there might be a new player in town in the treasure signs and symbols game and she's tough. Artemis, ancient Greek goddess of the hunt as well as many other things. I'm going to post a few of my posts from some other threads, just to get started.

The owl and Athena were depicted on opposite sides of the Greek tetradrachm so could be symbolic of wealth.

http://www.lydianmint.com/about_owl.xml

I wonder if a heart at a cache site might also be associated with an owl. I know the saying about the Spanish heart and the lust for gold but here's a link about an owl that seems to be common around the world. Notice the shape of the face. A heart would be a lot easier to carve than an owl.

Barn owl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the M, 13 and B, I believe the M became the 13th letter of the Latin alphabet during the 15th or 16th century, fitting in well with any cache site speculation, about its meaning, here in North America. Because of its shape, the B could be used as code representing a 13 which could represent an M.`So what could an M indicate at a cache site? Could be the Roman numeral for 1000, could be an owl, could be a symbol representing two peaks, could mean anything the guy setting up the cache site wanted it to mean. Here's one to ponder. There is a Saint Anthony of Padua who was associated with the number 13. If an M could indicate a 13 than it could be a reference to St. Anthony who was the patron saint of lost things. Just a thought.

What do you think guys and gals.... new queen of treasure hunters?

This thread needs to come out of that dusty basement and be revisited!

AWESOME info here!! :notworthy:

:coffee2:

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The owl always has info. for me or shows me things out in the field. And when this one comes and visits at home, i know i need to call home and see whats going on. Or the neighbor is having a problem. Always seems to have info. as long as pay attention . View attachment 1497041

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ditlihi.

The information you have compiled on this thread may have relevance to the photo I posted on DTTH's thread. At the risk of spreading the conversation over the two threads, I would like to post another photo here after I get my stuff together and in some kind of order. Will that be cool with everyone?

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the miniature signs i found was a owl, done in 3d stone,it has a shadow triangle for a beak,the point of the triangle is facing down. Whoever did did the work eally liked the owl for sure.very close to that is a very small hoyo owl, theres another done in shadow there also,about 50 cent size.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions