Artemis Site-You Go Girl

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Yeah, the pics suck, was just a temporary fix to illustrate what I was explaining. Better shots forthcoming. And I will need to do some precise measuring before I can answer those questions and begin to plot the triangle/quad. Will add those details as I make progress.

I have to say, whoever did this couldn't have chosen better symbology if they were intending to keep this site off limits to the people indigenous to it's location. Both the owl and the serpent are symbols of death and bad juju to the native populations ...though the number 7 can be interpreted as a ' broken arrow ', or symbol of peace.

This may get way more interesting, thanks Steve. :icon_thumright:

I've wondered about the owl symbolism too. I even called a historian for the Fox tribe and asked her if a large carving of an owl would keep the local tribes away from a specific area and she told me she knew the answer to my question but she didn't want to talk about the owl. If the Native Americans were superstitious about the owl, think how they must have felt watching a bunch of shadow owls popping up all over the side of a bluff. I've hunted arrowheads for most of my life, and a half mile from this spot you can find all kinds of artifacts, but I've walked all over the area by the owl triangle and I've never seen so much as a flint chip.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If D's earlier ( lower one in post 84) picture was from a Fox site, (though suspected site is out of context) then would this be a snapper , or a tortoise ; to be confirmed by locating the triangles other two figures and then a charcoal layer .

I need more rocks around me to quit being vicarious and piecing different locations of others together...And it shows!

snapperhead.png

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've wondered about the owl symbolism too. I even called a historian for the Fox tribe and asked her if a large carving of an owl would keep the local tribes away from a specific area and she told me she knew the answer to my question but she didn't want to talk about the owl. If the Native Americans were superstitious about the owl, think how they must have felt watching a bunch of shadow owls popping up all over the side of a bluff. I've hunted arrowheads for most of my life, and a half mile from this spot you can find all kinds of artifacts, but I've walked all over the area by the owl triangle and I've never seen so much as a flint chip.

Same here, that was one of the first things I looked for. But the only detritus to be found was from natural weathering/disintegration, no tools or chips. Which begs the question(s) how/when were they made, and where's the debris. Obviously not native.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If D's earlier ( lower one in post 84) picture was from a Fox site, (though suspected site is out of context) then would this be a snapper , or a tortoise ; to be confirmed by locating the triangles other two figures and then a charcoal layer .

I need more rocks around me to quit being vicarious and piecing different locations of others together...And it shows!

View attachment 1497231

I think I know that guy! :laughing7: :tongue3:

I got plenty to share, RC, come on down and bring a truck.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I know that guy! :laughing7: :tongue3:

I got plenty to share, RC, come on down and bring a truck.

Last time hauling rock about caused a wheelie!
Same truck that did wheelie hauling too big a tractor. Interesting experience sawing on the steering wheel with no result....
Went to a bigger truck ,but smaller loads and smaller rocks. Almost cured of fieldstones and boulders ( glacially worn and of no cultural significance) for flower beds. A few more to bring off a small field is all.

Just too bad old works around here were molested and destroyed.
Little left but rumors.
The Sanilac Petroglyphs are a remnant of native work.
Possible work before theirs , like an stone idol in Detroit the French destroyed in the sixteen hundreds and with no know provenance...could have been studied.
Legends of yellow haired people , and who all came for copper in the upper peninsula go unanswered.
Cart loads of stone tools were hauled out of the pits and mostly discarded. Along with the chance to study the works and perhaps origins of culture( s).
With estimated volumes of raw mass copper extracted ,and not being workable in winter ...A long period of visits, and where did all the copper go?

But ,yes. Pokin around your area would be a pleasant diversion.
M-Dogs too.
Though you both probably face past erasures too, you have some signs left to puzzle about.

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a lot of history has been lost to pilfering and wanton destruction. Some of it I'm sure was intended to erase a certain culture or just certain beliefs. Religion played a role, so did warfare amongst opposing tribes. And of course we can't forget politics. It saddens me every time I run across a ruined glyph, knowing that culture's message will forever be lost to future generations. I treasure what does remain.

You're welcome anytime, to tag along for a tour, RC. :icon_thumright:

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the pics suck, was just a temporary fix to illustrate what I was explaining. Better shots forthcoming. And I will need to do some precise measuring before I can answer those questions and begin to plot the triangle/quad. Will add those details as I make progress.

I have to say, whoever did this couldn't have chosen better symbology if they were intending to keep this site off limits to the people indigenous to it's location. Both the owl and the serpent are symbols of death and bad juju to the native populations ...though the number 7 can be interpreted as a ' broken arrow ', or symbol of peace.

This may get way more interesting, thanks Steve. :icon_thumright:

Thanks for that info. Ditlihi i never knew that about the owl or serpent.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that info. Ditlihi i never knew that about the owl or serpent.

You're very welcome! And btw, I posted on your thread that I am sending better pics of the Artemis/Athena sites by email so they can be opened in Paint ( or the program of your choice ) and get better detail. Don't have your Addy, so hit up Mdog or Maverick for a forward or get me your Addy and I'll get them to you.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And just to clarify, after looking over the bigger picture, I believe I was mistaken. It looks more like a Right Triangle than an Equilateral. Just wanted to clear that up for future reference.

Triangle Diagram.JPG

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I'm seeing on the Artemis site, I'm adding a negative as it pops out better. The right leg of the triangle is partially obscured by an outcropping, but it's there. There is also a faint figure on the doorway/portal, but I'm no artist so I left it blank on the drawing. You can barely see it on the neg....

Artemis Symbols.JPG Owl negative.JPG

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mdog, i have been wanting to tell you that on your site with the black dog, it might be a bull. I also cant find your E- mail addy,i don't know what i did with it.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
And just to clarify, after looking over the bigger picture, I believe I was mistaken. It looks more like a Right Triangle than an Equilateral. Just wanted to clear that up for future reference.

View attachment 1497656

The Athena site is where the snake is? And there is another owl at the Aphrodite site? Do you have a picture of that owl?

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Athena site is where the snake is? And there is another owl at the Aphrodite site? Do you have a picture of that owl?

Yes, the Athena site is where the snake is. But there is a huge owl as well, I had mistaken it for a bearded mans face....but when I made the connection to Athena, I realized it was an owl.....

Athena Owl.JPG

The other site ( Aphrodite ) has a smaller owl etched into the rock just to the right of the " Face ", and directly behind the...um...pillar.....( a side note, the face itself could be an owl, but had no way to hang out in thin air to get a frontal shot, its a drop off. Can't find any other spot with a frontal view that isn't obscured by surrounding foliage, sigh ).

Aphrodite Owl.JPG

And, of course, the Artemis owl ......

artemis owl closeup 3.JPG

Again, excuse the crappy zoom pics, but you have the better pics I sent you to look at for reference.

:coffee2:

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to be honest with you, I have been puzzling this one for a verrry long time, but when you shared your Triangle layout on DTTH's thread....and I found your Artemis info, the lights suddenly came on, lol. :notworthy:

Edited to add: You can see from the pics I sent you that there is a whole lot going on with this site in general. But I'm convinced a lot of it is for distraction ( trust me, I've been distracted many times by all the stuff here, lol ).

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the Athena site is where the snake is. But there is a huge owl as well, I had mistaken it for a bearded mans face....but when I made the connection to Athena, I realized it was an owl.....

View attachment 1497734

The other site ( Aphrodite ) has a smaller owl etched into the rock just to the right of the " Face ", and directly behind the...um...pillar.....( a side note, the face itself could be an owl, but had no way to hang out in thin air to get a frontal shot, its a drop off. Can't find any other spot with a frontal view that isn't obscured by surrounding foliage, sigh ).

View attachment 1497735

And, of course, the Artemis owl ......

View attachment 1497736

Again, excuse the crappy zoom pics, but you have the better pics I sent you to look at for reference.

:coffee2:
I sure would like to work on that first picture, than repost it.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember, this isnt coming from experience, Its just a thought. What i like the most is the person set back in the cut out. Nice and protected for many more years to come. And i like the shape of the cut out, it reminds me of the shape around the symbols in your other photo. It it the persons name? View attachment 1497803 View attachment 1497805

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread