Did the French leave/have treasure markers like the Spanish?

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I recently came across two tree branches bent the wrong way on a tree but the tree is very very old. It was quite obvious that both branches, which were bent in the same direction, had been left as a marker. But the only group that was historically supposed to be in that area were the French. They ran from the British thinking the British were after them and supposedly left a treasure behind in hast. The British did not follow them however and the area remained abandoned until it returned to the hands of native Americans. It is a rather small area and I'm not sure if this is a sign left by the French or am I in the wrong area because the French don't leave signs like that? Any help or information would be great. Thanks

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I recently came across two tree branches bent the wrong way on a tree but the tree is very very old. It was quite obvious that both branches, which were bent in the same direction, had been left as a marker. But the only group that was historically supposed to be in that area were the French. They ran from the British thinking the British were after them and supposedly left a treasure behind in hast. The British did not follow them however and the area remained abandoned until it returned to the hands of native Americans. It is a rather small area and I'm not sure if this is a sign left by the French or am I in the wrong area because the French don't leave signs like that? Any help or information would be great. Thanks

I've read a lot about the early French trappers and explorers and the Jesuit priests who associated with them. They travelled, most of the time, through dense woods and prairies. The markers I've read about were put on trees, kind of like ornaments, or consisted of stones stacked along a trail. As far as them fleeing from the British and hiding treasure along the way, the possibilities are endless. If they were members of a community, they would probably have a site picked out long before the British moved into the area. As far as signs and symbols go, take a hundred dollars of your own and go set up a cache spot in an area 100 yards square. Use a minimum of seven symbols to guide you to your cache. Point is, if you are a rich French merchant hiding gold from the British, the techniques and symbols you use will only be known to you. The branches could be treasure sign or not. You might want to look close and see what else is in the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread