Curious tree . . .

S

Smee

Hope Dowser501 or boattow have time to take a look.

While I spend most of my time lately searching for Indian Trail Trees, occasionally I come across some very curious trees. I have shown in the Treasure Marks/Signs part of this forum, the arrow shaped tree with the grafted branch that makes it point like an arrow -> in a general southern direction.

I have come across two more (actually about 2 dozen more, but they are for later) curious trees which I hope someone will tell me to either ignore as useless freaks of nature, or will peak their interest as treasure markers.

The first tree (and I appologize for the quality of the photos) has a branch which (1) extends from the trunk in an odd fashion, (2) is flat in shape, (3) is twisted evenly, and (4) points almost due west.

Here is picture of the tree mentioned in this post. I will be posting the pic of the second tree shortly.

Attachments

• P2250409.jpg
    P2250409.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 508
OP
OP
S

Smee

Tree number two is curious because at, first glance, I thought someone had grafted one tree trunk between two other trunks. Upon closer examination, however, what it is is that someone has grafted a long branch from trunk one onto the second trunk, cutting trunk two off at the graft. To the east of this second trunk is a nose where the last upward branch grows straight up.

Both secondary branches coming off the first branch grow verticle, and straight.

I put notes on the photograph to explain what I see. Just let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• trunk grafted between trees02.jpg
    trunk grafted between trees02.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 585

dowser 501

Apr 26, 2006
95 percent of the "pointer" branches with no rear branches are all pointing west.I m working on a tree almost a twin of the one in your photo. There was a tunnel under the tree bole itself and filled in. There are no roots going west except two large logs veeing out from a foot down on the west side and heading at 45 degrees nor-west and sou-west.
There are decoy road maps at all points of the compass on my marker tree at around a foot in depth and out a few paces. When I have worked it out I will definitely NOT let you know, however it is definitely a pointer tree conspicious by having no rear branches. Max

OP
OP
S

Smee

dowser 501 said:
95 percent of the "pointer" branches with no rear branches are all pointing west.I m working on a tree almost a twin of the one in your photo . . .

Just curious as to whether I should look on these as pointer trees or as freaks of nature. As the trees actually point at each other, it really made me curious.

When I have worked it out I will definitely NOT let you know, however it is definitely a pointer tree conspicious by having no rear branches. Max

Thanks for not working this out for me, that would take all the fun out of it!

You gave me exactly what I wanted to know, and I thank you for taking time to respond. You are a great resource here at treasurenet.

--------------------------------

I thought the second tree might have been a style of trail tree that I had not seen before, as there were real trail trees to the east and west within 100 yards either way.

Open question to all: KGC, Jesuit, Outlaw, or other? Any thoughts welcome.

Almost forgot, DeSoto passed through this part of the county in his treks, and spent some time here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread