Spanish & KGC in the ozark mountains.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479308646.563885.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479308661.906069.jpg .

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
It's flat faced head stone about four inches thick maybe more. It's one piece. There is nothing around that connects to this stone it's just all by its self.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They generally don't just stand up on their own. Is it near the last photos that you posted?

#/;0{>~

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was... The top half of a heart, but looking back at an earlier discussion, I'm thinking more in line with a good set of "gun sites".

I've not encountered any in the field, only saw other folks' photos, and read their explanations about how to use them.

Based on my limited info, you should look thru the"V" to find the counterpart from both directions to line up as if you are going to shoot at something off in the distance.

The small tree in the background may dictate the direction, but as long as you would be there to set the site on an unknown target, it would only be prudent to check the back side...

I think Quinoa was in that discussion group, and may have more, and better info and memory.

#/.'o{>

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Its just my thinking but I have seen those several times and it appears to me that its to indicate trail can be followed both directions, very possible that its one of the east / west direction or north south, its a square league I would follow it north if it goes that direction or west the next marker should be 200 feet from this marker hopeful it will be north, when you find a knee high chances are that the next one will be waist high.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
I was just driving along on my way to work and spotted this rock. It's just about a 1/4 of a mile from the house I grew up in. Haven't had a chance to really look into it yet. I know the area good enough to know that over the hill like I was taking the picture there's supposed to be a old silver mine.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
On the other side of that Hollow is a drill hole that goes all the way thru a 2-3 foot rock. It's a hoyo found it when I was 14 years old or so haven't hunted that back yet either. But when I do I'll get pictures and post them. I've been working on finding the trees and trying to get a pattern lately.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
I'm finding the bent trees and the burled up trees in lines and I've also found them really close together like a few yards apart in some cases.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sad to think of how many generations, the knowledge of how to read those markers has been skipped.

Think about how far ahead, if they had been, that you would be today, having grown up there.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
Your right the knowledge lost is a sad thing. Our society is losing lots of the knowledge of how to do things. There's not many folks left that can eat with out having grocery store to go buy from. I live in a place that most people should be self sufficient but they're not. There is a few here and there that have the knowledge but not as many as there should be. I'm sure there is a few folks here that have the knowledge of reading the signs but it won't be shared.

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
I wish I had more knowledge than I do, mine has been one of measure every thing, get the compass degrees off of everything, I worked for a couple of years on 5 / 6 drill holes, had a good friend that showed me where they were at around a lake and could drive to them, different sizes, depth, finally got it figured out that the 4 inch wide ( 10 cm ) 4inch deep ( 10 cm )= 2 times the circumference ( 34.5 cm X 2 ) = 69 feet = a cordel = 189.5 feet, so started using that as a distance measurement and it worked out they did use compass degrees also except where they set the monuments to shoot across country. I wish I had some 18 year old legs to take me across country, I think I could live on fish, crawdads, rabbits, turtles. crubs, worms when I needed to.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eighteen year old legs are more apt to be chasing other eighteen year old girls, than chasing centuries old signs.

I'm determined to educate my grandchildren in history and clues, and how to connect the dots...

As a matter of fact, my grand daughter left my house this afternoon with a plan to go thru her coin bank, having learned how to spot silver coins and steel pennies.

Proud Grandpaw!

#/;0)~

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
You folks are so right, Priorities do change as the gray hairs start coming around, now its a concern when I head for the bath room

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt that i can implant much wisdom, but I will give them as much information as I can, and teach them how to research old sites and explore.

Both of them are learning the basics of metal detecting and gold panning, and love it!

#/;0{>~

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
The drill holes that are horzional and all the way thru the boulder 1 !/4" across appear to be near or at a place of worship, I have seen them thru a 40 inch boulder, If you can do that Orangeman you will be building a lot of character, look for a podium, and such, seats for the old folks, The worship spots will be in the center of a 5 league square, folks walked in those days, even such things as a line of boulders or circle for the kids to play around or on, jump from one to the next,

KenRobertson

Greenie
Nov 24, 2016
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Whites, and two box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Spanish were all over the Ozarks. Problem is they concealed their shafts very well. Mostly by filling them in and returning the terrain to it's original appearance.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
Around here it would be easy to conceal the opens. If they put the effort into it you could be all over the concealed opening a never have a clue it was there. But for the signs left to be able find them again. The legends of the natives hiding the Spanish stuff would be really hard to find. I'm sure that they didn't even leave any marks to find it with. I'm sure they'd felt that it was good riddance and wouldn't want even the memory of them around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread