Spanish & KGC in the ozark mountains.

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's what that nasty dirt looks like. Its a real find powder. Its put in layers and pockets.You will dig thru it, then hit another pocket and it will come pouring out. Hopefully they didnt take me out. I wear a respirator and rubber gloves under my leather gloves. Its not natural to the other dirt. View attachment 1512532

A clean 1 gal. milk jug, filled with tap water (other than your drinkinā€™ water bottle) that has a screw-on cap and can be squeezed to spray water mist overā€¦..ā€before you start breakingā€ ā€¦ā€¦..(2-3 fine holes in the cap, to be done on site, after the hlke)
That, will help you: 1. Keep fine dust in check,ā€¦.2. soften the lime in the mix and make it easier to rip larger chunks. (you must treat it just like any other modern demolition site that contains caustic-corrosive substances that get airborne on impact)
New tools needed:
-one 3lbs. sledge hammer, with short handle
- 2 bull point chisels 12 to 16 inch in length (no flat chisels). (the smaller the impact surface,ā€¦the lesser dust becomes airborne) ..if one chisel becomes stuck, use the second one to dislodge the first. It will become gluey, but much softer.
-short handle scoop and a trowel for scraping
-a masonry hammer with pointed (not flat) end
-canvas backpack ā€¦ā€¦(army surplus,ebay..etc.)
-water,water,water,water,water and H2O (as much as you can carry) the fun is just starting beyond your parapet wall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
Yes if there was proof found of something like that the treasure would be a new history opened to the world.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
A clean 1 gal. milk jug, filled with tap water (other than your drinkinā€™ water bottle) that has a screw-on cap and can be squeezed to spray water mist overā€¦..ā€before you start breakingā€ ā€¦ā€¦..(2-3 fine holes in the cap, to be done on site, after the hlke)
That, will help you: 1. Keep fine dust in check,ā€¦.2. soften the lime in the mix and make it easier to rip larger chunks. (you must treat it just like any other modern demolition site that contains corrosive substances that get airborne on impact)
New tools needed:
- 2 bull point chisels 12 to 16 inch in length (no flat chisels). (the smaller the impact surface,ā€¦the lesser dust becomes airborne) ..if one chisel becomes stuck, use the second one to dislodge the first. It will become gluey, but much softer.
-water,water,water,water,water and H2O (as much as you can carry) the fun is just starting beyond your parapet wall.

Looks like very old concrete to me.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
They make a SDS hammer drill now think itā€™s got a setting for chipping on it. But just drilling holes in that stuff would help in breaking it up. They not cheap but theyā€™re fast in soft type material.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That, will help you: 1. Keep fine dust in check,ā€¦.2. soften the lime in the mix and make it easier to rip larger chunks. (you must treat it just like any other modern demolition site that contains caustic-corrosive substances that get airborne on impact)
New tools needed:

Its been another learning lesson for sure. Been a couple close calls. Getting the water to tool ratio was tough at first,when i was packing it in. Big mistake on my part. I went with more tools less water. Big mistake. But i made it back. Lesson learned.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They make a SDS hammer drill now think itā€™s got a setting for chipping on it. But just drilling holes in that stuff would help in breaking it up. They not cheap but theyā€™re fast in soft type material.

Yes, good ideal orangeman, the SDS saved a lot of wear and tear on the wrist. These guys dont like giving up the goods.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can rent those for less than buying it. But if you do, you want to know that you have good batteries and one or two extra batteries! Rental operations are only as good as the guy at the counter.

There are several bits that should come with a set and you need to know that they are the correct bits for that tool.

A tool that only takes (SDS) ā€œslot dimple slotā€ bits needs to be checked with each bit that you take.

I have rebuilt many of those due to folks putting a bit that didnā€™t match correctly, they should slide in easily and come out just as easily!

If you rent one and you want to keep it, you can usually get it at a much lower price.

#/;0{>~

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes of course, if you can "afford" the noise. out in the nature that may sound like an automatic weapon. You may get a visit from The Teddy Bear
checking your health. Have you ever been deer hunting ....and get spooked by a playful chipmunk? many stories to tell.....too many

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
You can rent those for less than buying it. But if you do, you want to know that you have good batteries and one or two extra batteries! Rental operations are only as good as the guy at the counter.

There are several bits that should come with a set and you need to know that they are the correct bits for that tool.

A tool that only takes (SDS) ā€œslot dimple slotā€ bits needs to be checked with each bit that you take.

I have rebuilt many of those due to folks putting a bit that didnā€™t match correctly, they should slide in easily and come out just as easily!

If you rent one and you want to keep it, you can usually get it at a much lower price.

#/;0{>~

All true and correct Mikel, but, but....there's always a BUT. To carry THAT in the field, will limit your water and other equipment when you have a decent hike to do. Not to mention the stress to return THAT thing in time to avoid late charges.
However,.....the SDS MAX (not sds plus) BITS, make the PERFECT bull point chisel type for winning the war.

thanks for the good thoughts though

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used, from e-bay. I leave it hidden, but of course i hump 4 batteries in and out. Iam pretty far, over 10 miles from any homes. I think when your in the hole it kills the noise. A roadrunner likes to show up and watch. View attachment 1512957

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maverick 1, I think you are one of those few folks that I would not have seen very often, back when I repaired tools.
Your type made my days go better, just by knowing that.

The other type were mostly electricians!!!? Not all, but mostly.

#/;0{>~

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used, from e-bay. I leave it hidden, but of course i hump 4 batteries in and out. Iam pretty far, over 10 miles from any homes. I think when your in the hole it kills the noise. A roadrunner likes to show up and watch. View attachment 1512957

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about!
That is awesome.

And Itā€™s lighter than a sledgehammer and the extra water [emoji97] that you would have to pack in and sweat out swinging the sledgehammer.

And itā€™s a Makita! At least it looks like a Makita.

Usually the only weak point was the nut on the trigger!

That hole looks like a bit eater.

#/;0{>~

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Maverick 1, I think you are one of those few folks that I would not have seen very often, back when I repaired tools.
Your type made my days go better, just by knowing that.

The other type were mostly electricians!!!? Not all, but mostly.

#/;0{>~

Thanks for the kind words, Mikel. I'm just another old timer of the Old School. I like to work with my hands and keep the blood flowing

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
Hilti makes a good point bit for most of the SD type drills. Itā€™s designed in a cross type way instead of being round. Itā€™s lighter easier to control and seems to hold its point longer. I run renovations on commercial buildings for several years. Learned a lot about surgical concrete removal.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If that hole gets much deeper, you need to start thinking about safety. All you need is for it to collapse in on you. What if you punch through another cavity and the hole fills with that nasty stuff. I'd consider some shoring, and/or a safety rope and harness at the very least, tethered to the top. For that matter, you could break through into a large cavity and drop. Yep, start thinking now, and be safe, Buddy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread