American Indian hotbed ???

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
So, here's the dirt(or what may be in it !!), first off, let me say that what I am looking at is NOT a burial ground, way too many artifacts, and not the right type of area. What I am looking at is a potential campsite/trail, that dates back over 2,000 years. I was talking to a relative of mine about treasure hunting(bottle digging in parricular) and he told me a very interesting story about a home improvement on my step grandmother's house(my dad is re-married). The story that he told me is, back SEVERAL years, his father and uncle were digging a trench to lay down water piping, as they got down to the 6' mark, they started to hit "garbage". The "garbage" consisted of old broken pottery, and chips of glass. They didn't think much of it until they realized that one of the major roadways of the sauk/winnebago tribe led directly thru' that area. Not figuring it was worth anything they only took a few bits and pieces with them to show that they had found it, I have yet to see these pieces, but they were confirmed as native american, 1,700-2,300 years old, "probably" made by the sauk/winnebago indians. My "cousin" says that his dad remembers the spot that they found the stuff at, and if I want to know, he'll find out for me. The area that this was found in is a natural "plateau", it sits adjacent to a major ridge of bluffs in the area, and looks out over several dozen square miles of swamp and lowland prarie, there are also a few artesian springs in the area.

Jump back a few years......

My dad, myself and several of my friends are "climbing" the bluff(Ok, going up a REALLY steep trail), and he decides that he wants to show me a place called "sunset" rock, noone knows why it is called this, other than that's what it's always been called, and it looks out to the west. So, we walk out on this rock, and on our way to the point, I notice several "twisted" trees(the large upper branches have almost grown into a braid on one of them, I'll try to get pics this week). When we get out to the point, I start lookin' around(which has always been at the ground), seein if I can find any cool rocks, arrowheads, snakes, etc,etc... and on the very point of the bluff there is a gouge scraped into the rock, it's not very deep, but it is evident. I didn't think much of it 'til I realized that it points DIRECTLY at sunset, on the summer solstice.

Skip to last fall...

I ask permission to MD the old farm(the one I came to find out has the campsite on it, I found out later), I didn't get much on the yard, some old horse tack, the usual. But this spring, in thinking about the mechanics of digging a 2,000 year old site, I remebered that the "sunset mark" lies on the point of the bluff, almost DIRECTLY above it. So, I'm wondering could we have a religious site ?? I want to dig this spot, and I am planning on it, most of the artifacts will be donated, some will be kept for the memories(I'm Irish, I understand the "sentimantality" and importance of these relics, they are, and always will be, sacred to me), hopefully some can be sold to museums. I have been in contact with some archaeologists and have recieved some good pointers on "documenting" the site(hopefully, we'll get some video), and if all goes according to plan, I'll get to partake in my "find of a lifetime" this summer.

I just wanted to share this little story with y'all, I hope the plot thickens as summer goes along, I will keep posted as the story develops. Until then, I'm-a keep diggin' and you all have permission to drool over my silver(but not on it, that's gross) - HH, all.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, your site sounds like it has potential, but
broken glass shouldn't be with ancient Indian pottery,
there must have been later settlers using the same
route.
Good luck in your searching,

Fossis.............

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds interesting but I'd like to see some pictures of the artifacts and glass. Before I'd start removing 6' of overburden, I'd also do a little research at your county records building. Original survey maps of the area can give volumes of solid info.

In reality is sounds (I base this only on your description) more like a trash dump. In very old trash dumps it is not unusual to come up with Indian artifacts (ecpecially pottery shards. You may also want to do a Google Earth of the area.

Anyway, it sounds like an interesting project.
Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread