Note the arrow at fingertip.

2015-02-24 12.07.00_resized_3.jpg

20150221_150255_resized.jpg

Last edited:

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Hello cold feet, Looks like a symbol for a place of rest, perhaps a church, kind of interesting that there are a couple of directions to go big line to small line on the 7 and big 0 to small o, perhaps there may be two places of rest, measure from the ground to the top off the boulder for the distance.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a survey symbol? It's not an interpretable rock formation so, you likely won't get much help around here. Do a lot of research about survey symbols. There will be a lot of those out in the sticks. A few links:
DSCN6044-1.jpg

4152802828_67b42bb631_m.jpg Similar to the one below but, the website content is unrelated.

IMG_1313.jpg When things like this become a hundred years old, they really can be intriguing.

PIC00031.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg This one could be used as a shrine in a hundred years when the Ancient Spanish move in to mine the area.

I should note that none of those images are mine. I posted them as links but, tnet has removed the url. They are all found on the web. I think I used "land survey marks or symbols" or something like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

coldfeet

Mar 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think not a sanctuary. I think not a survey marker. If you read Chapter XIX in Dobie's "Coronado's Children," you'll find some interesting information. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
C

coldfeet

Mar 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're getting warmer. I wanted to get "cold" input without giving clues about what I think, etc. I'll spill a few beans now. The rock is in the vicinity of an old, remote Spanish settlement, on the general route from a distant "mother" settlement. There are legends about Spanish mines in the area. The rock is parallel to the presumed trail between the settlements (or the mine). The Cs are usually referred to as mule shoes. They point the direction of the trail and indicate the distance. More shoes, more leagues. The horizontal line signifies a trail. The vertical line at the end of the horizontal line indicates the end of the trail, or the walls of the fortifications at the remote settlement. The arrow at the top right confirms the direction.

Methinks it's a classic Spanish trail marker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread