Old Forest Homestead.

bamn07

May 17, 2007
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
This is my first post here at Treasurenet, but I have frequented here for a while. I have a small forested area in the back of my house that is surrounded on all sides by suburbs. Inside the forest I have seen massive piles of stones, pottery, TONS of glass bottles and china, rolls of fencing, fenceposts, a line of pine trees (the whole rest of the forest in deciduous), numerous iron pieces (there is what looks like an old trailer or cart frame fully intact. MY question is this, there is obviously a lot of history to this place, but where should I begin? There is one pile of rocks against a tree (the pile is maybe 10' by 20'). Also, there is one spot in particular on what is now the edge of a small pond in the forest that most of the glass and china and metal garbage is located. Could this be a garbage dump for the home that was there? If so, was there any common place relative to the house that garbage pits were located (so I can pinpoint the house)? Also, what is the significance of the single row of (huge, old) pine tree in a perfectly straight line on the SW edge of the forest? How could it help me located the house location. I have not seen any definite cellar holes, EXCEPT for maybe the pond that exist now right where the garbage/glass/china pile is. Any help you could give on the possible layout of an average farm in relative location to garbage piles and a row of pine tree would be a great help. I will take and post pictures if requested.

K

Kentucky Kache

Start anywhere, just start. I would also go to the library/courthouse
and try to find old pictures of the place. And if there's any old timers in the area, ask if they know anything about the place.

Demrok

May 24, 2007
just be VERY careful walking around out there...
an old well hole could be partially covered and waiting for you to step on...

let us know what you find out

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sounds like a great place. Do you have current pictures of the area so we could help you out better. The line of trees could have been a windbreak,original property line or this is close to the original house. If you had old property (plat ) maps it might pinpoint the house location. How big is the pond? Big as a cellar or barn foundation? Most people arent going to throw their garbage into their source of water.The water more than likely filled the depression later. I think I would start digging around this area first. Your finds would give you a sense of the timelines .This was probally the house location. Get yourself a probe and good net with a long handle to scoop things out of the pond.
That rock pile is probally just that ...rock pile ,but alot of timess this is where they threw things also. Look for any embankment ...this is generally where they threw their garbage.Over the hill. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread