Childhood find

golden29

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was younger I stumbled upon a Black circle in a rock face that caught my attention. I climbed up above the black circle and reached the top of rocky formation. As I skirted along the cliff I noticed a tree growing on top of the cliff. It looked a little different so I walked over to it and crawled underneath it and noticed a rocky path cut by nature. So I proceeded to go down it and found a niche in the cliff about 20 x 20 feet. As I looked toward the back I noticed some rocks piled up against the cliff. I removed the rocks and found a small cave with an entrance I was barely able to fit in. The cave itself was barely big enough to fit a body. Just inside the entrance was a stick with a burnt end and towards the back was a triangular rock. Could not find any treasure or any other signs inside. This cave has bugged me since childhood.
Anyone have any ideas based on the info?
I do not have any pictures and I am not sure if the stick is still around so even though I am not very good at drawing I have included a rudimentary drawing of what the area and stuff looked like as I remember from childhood. I hope the pic is large enough to see.
Just wondering if it is worth going back. What really makes me wonder is the burnt stick in a sealed cave (or hole).

picture.png

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Youll never know,neither will anybody else,until you look.You'll never find something until you look for it.:wink:

OP
OP
G

golden29

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going back isn't really an issue. Just curious if anyone has run across anything similar or could offer some suggestions regarding the signs.

S

stefen

Not everything is about treasure...

There are an unlimited number of what-if scenarios...

The question is, 'Do you pick the one that fits your ideals, or the one that's actually real...'

OP
OP
G

golden29

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the end I don't really need money. What bugs me the most isn't really the idea of treasure. That isnt even why I was there to begin with. I am more curious about who and why someone went through the trouble of putting the stone and stick in the cave and then sealing it up. Also why did they leave signs? I may never find out why but it isn't going to stop me from taking the journey. The above doesn't give a lot to go on but its a start. If anyone has any thoughts feel free to comment.

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Well golden29 I had a V that was about 15 / 18 feet up a bluff, it was blacken out and could be seen for miles, it was in an area with KNOWN KGC activity, faced to the south with a lot of area where you could see for several miles so my guess is that it could be a look out's hidey hole. the V could represent 22 feet as well as the 0 = could represent 15 feet

OP
OP
G

golden29

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a bunch dsty. I will keep this close in mind when I head up there.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Does local history reflect activity from the fur trade era?
Cache's were used for a variety of reasons and wares.
A burnt stick end would make a good probe and digger during a recovery for finesse work.
Drainage was important and sticks could be used to corduroy the floor also.

OP
OP
G

golden29

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Releventchair. This is definitely something to look into. There was probably fur trade and animal trapping in area. Even if this wasnt the case... food is a necessity so I could see it being a valid point no matter what. It is a little rugged and high in elevation but still possible. Of course preservation of family and livestock would necissitate extreme measures to get rid of predators as well. Made me think that the stick could have been a trigger mechanism to seal cave when triggered. Possible Bobcat or Cougar trap. That would be the only animal able to scale the cliffs and worth the effort to go after. I will check the other side to see if there is good line of site making it perfect for a quick visual to see if it had been sprung without a person wasting energy to hike over. This could definitely set the stage for finding the trappers route if that is what it was. Maybe even find old cabin or campsite. Exciting stuff! Thanks everyone!

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golden, you did not say how far back the cave or tunnel went. Sounds like the burnt stick was to give light farther back.
Maybe you should double check the back side to see if it was a closed up tunnel. If so, could be some happy hunting. If you know someone with a machine that can detect tunnels, take him there to see if it is a tunnel that goes farther back. If it does not, then the stick is probably a pointer to a corner of a triangle. Have fun.:coffee2::coffee2:

OP
OP
G

golden29

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks elh. Appreciate the input. Good points to. I feel a lot better going back armed with the above info. I will be taking a little bit of everyone with me when I go back up there. Will be equipped with the knowledge of ten men instead of being a lone wolf.

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was younger I stumbled upon a Black circle in a rock face that caught my attention. I climbed up above the black circle and reached the top of rocky formation. As I skirted along the cliff I noticed a tree growing on top of the cliff. It looked a little different so I walked over to it and crawled underneath it and noticed a rocky path cut by nature. So I proceeded to go down it and found a niche in the cliff about 20 x 20 feet. As I looked toward the back I noticed some rocks piled up against the cliff. I removed the rocks and found a small cave with an entrance I was barely able to fit in. The cave itself was barely big enough to fit a body. Just inside the entrance was a stick with a burnt end and towards the back was a triangular rock. Could not find any treasure or any other signs inside. This cave has bugged me since childhood.
Anyone have any ideas based on the info?
I do not have any pictures and I am not sure if the stick is still around so even though I am not very good at drawing I have included a rudimentary drawing of what the area and stuff looked like as I remember from childhood. I hope the pic is large enough to see.
Just wondering if it is worth going back. What really makes me wonder is the burnt stick in a sealed cave (or hole).

View attachment 1212760
very interesting go back w a metal detector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread