Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are in Southern Utah at Newspaper Rock. Near to, but not on the main panel. As far as I know, nobody ever takes a pic of them or pays them much attention. They caught my attention because they don't really fit with Indian markings. I thought I had something like them in a book but haven't been able to find them. Every native culture present in the 4 Corners area, prehistoric and historic, left their mark on this rock. Plus the Spanish Trail passed by not far from here. Probably nothing, but does anybody recognize these symbols? (what appear to be two sun symbols in the pic.)

Attachments

• 9-23aa.jpg
    9-23aa.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one on the left looks more like a turtle than a sun. I have no idea what the markings inside the circles represent. It is pecked, and early Spanish explorers or Anglo settlers would have chiselled the marks probably. I haven't seen them all, but I've seen a lot of indian petroglyphs in southern Utah and this doesn't fit the style of any of those cultures. It is set off apart from the main area where most people left their marks. Hard to judge age of some glyphs, but comparing the weathering to others in the area I would say 300-400yrs. old, maybe older but not much. I don't know much about the story, but I also wondered if they might be Aztec in origin. Any input or speculation appreciated.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice drawing of Tatanka on the far left of the image.

Yes, the one on the left does resemble a turtle more than a sun. Wish I could help figure it out.

You got more pics, maybe put them together to recreate the entire wall. Would tell more of story.

Be well.

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
From my knowledge about Petroglyphs which is somewhat extensive, many of them (as in this case) have "SHADOWS" connected to them, which means that you need to plant yourself there in the morning or evening for a extended period of time and take pic's for your record. Most of the time, it's involved with equinoxes and there is 4 of them, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, normally on the 21st of March, June, Sept. December. The "SUN" on the right is "WALKING", meaning that it's throwing a Shadow, I believe the other 2 posters here are correct about the 'other sun' which is most probably a TURTLE. The Spanish also imitated the Pecked Designs as well, so as not to Alert anyone. I have found this to be Very True. You can read about me and the Petroglyphs and Shadows under the Treasure Legends Thread, follow it to Aztec Gold, then scroll down to "THE RETURN OF THE GIANT SERPENT". I have many posts throughout Treasurenet, most of which is about the Spanish and Petroglyphs. But getting back to your interest here, there is more to this Petroglyph than what your showing in the pic, which you may not even realized it. Circles and Squares divided up into 4 or quarters are found throughout the world, make no mistake and they are as old as ancient man himself, but they DO MEAN DIFFERENT THINGS "WHEN ATTACHED" to other Petroglyphs. I know your asking a simple question but it's not simple cause your not showing or seeing everything. Why would anyone inscribe in any form on rocks that are uneven or close to faults, cracks, or even sometimes all the way around the rock? The answer is Greater than you think and it's by no mistake. So, it looks like you have a Project if you want to really find out what it means positively. Turtles, you know anything about Spanish Turtles, I think Alan Keyes wrote a Book about them...Try Amazon Books......Darrell

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, HappyTrails55. I probably should have taken a few more pics from different perspectives of this markings location. In the Indian Artifacts forum I posted pics of the main panel under the heading Newspaper Rock. I would have expected to see these same symbols repeated somewhere on the main panel but if they are I couldn't spot them. These markings are off to the left of the main panel and never get much attention. I took pics at this same site a few years back that show more, if I can locate them. I know a little about Indian Petroglyphs but next to nothin about Spanish markings. Thanks for looking!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread