Need Help With This Fort Location, Texas

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Here is an old fort area that I got to go hunt on about 41 years ago when I was about 10 years old, useing a one of the old D-Tex metal detectors. Being a kid I really didn't know what I was doing, but I did find a few Republic Of Texas military buttons. ( owners were friends of the familly) Over the years the property has been sold to the city for for housing and development. Houses now cover most of what you see except the fields where the fort was. I'm sure one day they will make a park out of it, but right now it is unmaintained and about waiste high in grass where it used to be plowed ground. This was a main fort that housed at least 350 troops at times, was attacted by Indians many times, but never defeated. This was Prarie land back then, so none of the trees were there when the fort existed. It was an important fort when Texas became a Republic. My question I have is if it were in existance for 5 years, they had to dump their trash somewhere. I am thinking it would be in the creek #1 since it was just a small rivene creek at the time. I figure thet got there water from the main creek so they wouldn't dump there. Also, where would be the most likely area to start detecting again? Any opinions would be welcome. We did go out there to find it, but the weeds were so high due to the rains we have been having, you couldn't swing your detector. Any thoughts of the dumping ares or possible good searching areas where others haven't? I am posting this elsewhere so I can get as many responses as I can. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• kFort1.JPG
    kFort1.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 277
  • kFort1.JPG
    kFort1.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 277

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread