May be a strange question. Non-indigenous plants??

BackwoodsDiva

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
At the top of a trail of aborglyphs I am investigating there are rose bushes. My 98 year old grandmother did confirm her mother planted them in the 40's. They are on a flat spot on a slope. They are just above the old fencing posts where my Great grandfather kept cows across the mountain. My grandmother said they played there while her parents and older siblings worked. It was also used as a eating spot at lunch time and had a picnic table then. So the rose bushes I understand and it may prove to be a good detecting spot. However, there are Schefflera bushes planted at the bottom of the trail. These are not indigenous. No one knows how there got there. It is also where I am about to detect because I believe the trail of arborglyphs may be pointing there.

So my question. Is there any history of non-indigenous plants being used markers?

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
BackwoodsDiva, the only types of markers that I have seen are Carved in stone, Stone / Boulders in a pattern, I have seen shovel size holes arranged in a pattern V --W---- Y ====L and such but to me they are perhaps Outlaw, KGC, BOY SCOUTS and such, I believe that Indian planted White Oak trees

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
At the top of a trail of aborglyphs I am investigating there are rose bushes. My 98 year old grandmother did confirm her mother planted them in the 40's. They are on a flat spot on a slope. They are just above the old fencing posts where my Great grandfather kept cows across the mountain. My grandmother said they played there while her parents and older siblings worked. It was also used as a eating spot at lunch time and had a picnic table then. So the rose bushes I understand and it may prove to be a good detecting spot. However, there are Schefflera bushes planted at the bottom of the trail. These are not indigenous. No one knows how there got there. It is also where I am about to detect because I believe the trail of arborglyphs may be pointing there.

So my question. Is there any history of non-indigenous plants being used markers?

I've seen pictures of trees that were bent and used as trail markers. I've seen evergreens planted to give a direction to follow. In Steve Clark's book, New Mexico Confidential, he shows a picture of a large heart shape formed by trees, on the side of a mountain. Yes plants have been used to mark a trail. I guess it would be a good idea to mark a cache site with plants that are out of place. What kind of glyphs are you following and how long is the trail?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arborglyph

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good question there diva --- it could prove interesting to see what you can learn about the
Schefflera bushes. If that is the only place you can find those bushes it might perk your curiosity.
hope you find a good stash

OP
OP
BackwoodsDiva

BackwoodsDiva

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This little place is driving me nuts. We've owned the land since 1862 and before that it was considered Indian hunting territory. I think I'm going to use a pendulum. It's been years but maybe it will still work for me. All of the aborgylphs from the other thread are squeezed into a one acre spot. There are more throughout the property though but not like this. The others are random. If it ever stops raining here I'm going back. I don't want to slide into the creek. Anyway, when I climb it again I will measure and draw it all out. I can almost do it from memory but the measurements would not be correct.

QUESTION: Hopefully I can get an answer from one of you without starting another thread. Is there meaning to a carving of an animal with it's mouth open? I've tried to search the forum with no luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread