Never saw something like this before in the swamp!

R

Rennwaggen

My brotherinlaw said this thing was some kind of treasure marker, so I had to ask because we never see rocks like these in South Louisiana. Found it while doing some ground work before the crew gets here to start building the new drilling rig. I always scout the area, and take my metal detector along just in case.

I moved it from its resting place near Vermillion Bay, but I was careful to gps the location and record the orientation. I buried a silver quarter where the rock was, I can pinpoint it again if I need to.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 1,932

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I'm sure someone will tell you its KGC, TGIF, ABC, CBS or ODB.... I doubt that it is natural, but my guess is native american possibly.

Pretty awesome looking, thats for sure. ;)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is pretty different looking??

Bran <><

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, natural, lookie

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,862

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I agree with djui5... but how did it form to be so uniform like that?

Bran <><

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nature does wild things. Have you see minerals in the shape of perfect cubes? ;D

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes... suger and salt forms the same way. It's just really different looking for sure?!

Bran <><

OP
OP
R

Rennwaggen

well, thats a new one on me ???

50 years in these swamps, and I just never before noticed any stones ???

We dont have stones laying around here. if they were they would sink. found this one while clearing area, & was completely under the soil. there is 2 more stones that was with this one. second stone has a rectangular hole in it. third one I would think was natural, if they was stones layin around on top the ground here. If you see a stone here, someone put it there.

Down here, we make our driveways with shells because there aren't stones or washrock. In fact, when I was a kid, most of the streets in my part of Metairie were made from shells covered with tar.

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 1,821

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
having lived in chalmette I understand ---rocks as such aren't natural to the area around there --rocks as such were carted in by folks for building stuff---I get your drift---now comes the hard part figgering out the why and what for of its location and its purpose---this is plain ole researching 101---it is both fun and frustrating at the same time---Ivan

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am of no help what so ever but I would like to say the rock looks real purtty!
It looks french to me! Natural or otherwise

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
The last rock posted looks to have an X in the upper right hand corner ? Have you seen anymore markings on this rock or rocks ? The first rock does not look natural to me ? Looks to be an repeated design ?? But what do I know ??? I just have a yard full of rocks, that I have collected for many years ;) Sort of a hobby of mine > rock hunter ::)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Renn,

Welcome to T-Net. Being in South LA myself, it is very strange to find rocks down here. That had to have been hauled here for some reason.

This is how I found T-Net too...finding strange stuff in the pasture, thinking it may be meteorite, I "Googled" and found this site. You can always contact the Geology Dept at LSU. That's how I found out the stuff in the pasture was Bog Ore.

;) RR

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like someone burnt a batch of Cinnamon rolls in the wood burning stove.

OP
OP
R

Rennwaggen

River Rat said:
Hey Renn,

Welcome to T-Net. Being in South LA myself, it is very strange to find rocks down here. That had to have been hauled here for some reason.

Hey la bas! Comment Ca Va? You know who I'm thinkin about then.

Third rock was different from the others. Different material. Very smooth on top, but not on bottom.

Hope to be back in LA in a week or two. See if I can get my brotherinlaw to send me that picture. 2 markers and rough map.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Ren,
Ivan ,

You guys might conceder a Spanish map marker. Those guys used to cart things like that around for hundreds of miles just to use them as a marker. usually nothing special was added.

Just a natural thing in an unnatural place.

just a thought.

OD

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
french --spanish or pirate any one of da three take your pick--Ivan

fossis

Gold Member