OzarkCat

Greenie
Mar 9, 2016
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Pro and Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These trees are located on the Trail of Tears and on the old Cherokee Boundry Line, would love to hear some opinions about their meaning.
_MG_0868.JPG View attachment 1283565 _MG_0917.JPG _MG_0920.JPG View attachment 1283566 View attachment 1283567 View attachment 1283568

Attachments

• _MG_0881.JPG
    _MG_0881.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 164
  • COL_13_53_22_155.jpg
    COL_13_53_22_155.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
OP
OP
OzarkCat

OzarkCat

Greenie
Mar 9, 2016
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The white area is actually wood but it is not the same type of wood, it doesn't have bark and doesn't have scars, it appears to have been planted to grow inside this carved out area, while these trees are on the trail of tears I don't think of them as made by Native Americans but I could be wrong. We have several of the thong trees or marker trees along the river and streams in this area. They point to springs and artisan wells and some cross roads. I was with a group of people that toured some of the marker trees a couple of years ago and someone studying the trees took core samples to date the trees but I have not heard those results, these tree pictures where not on the tour. I have several pictures of other tree manipulations that are found close to marker trees. The pictures I posted are on the banks of the river where several other of this type once stood but foolish people have been cutting them for campfires. Thanks for asking.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was with a group of people that toured some of the marker trees a couple of years ago and someone studying the trees took core samples to date the trees but I have not heard those results, these tree pictures where not on the tour. I have several pictures of other tree manipulations that are found close to marker trees.

Up around Izzard County? Denny & Robert possibly? Maybe the Mountain Stewards folks?

OP
OP
OzarkCat

OzarkCat

Greenie
Mar 9, 2016
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that is the tour I took with the EIC crew and Mountain Stewards does sound right for the people that took the core samples. March 19th at Knob Creek there will be a presentation on The Trail Trees. I am hoping to attend, although I did watch it online already as well as a couple of other video's on trail trees. I know different tribes had different meanings for things but some explanations didn't match what I had always been told about the trail markers, shovel trees, boundry trees, and story trees. There are some rock carving symbols that also match some carvings in trees that are not as deep as the carvings I posted. I hope to find more of those. Thanks for asking!!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Used to be actively engaged with the Mountain Stewards, even produced a folding Trail Trees flyer some of their members used ... unfortunately it seems to have become more about getting out a book and a video than about what I considered important, and what I believed they considered important.

I haven't contributed to their database in quite some time, years actually, however, I do occasionally contribute trees and other work to the Ozark Indian Trail Trees group on Facebook, but it's mostly dead these days.

Out of curiosity, where did you watch their video online? I was lead to believe the only way to view it was to attend one of their gatherings?

OP
OP
OzarkCat

OzarkCat

Greenie
Mar 9, 2016
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for taking so long to reply to this post I didn't think anyone would be viewing this page so I have been spending time reading other threads comparing the signs and symbols I have found in rock. I followed this link from EIC to this video and there were others listed with this one on youtube but that was before they came to Knob Creek so not sure if they are still there. Wes Studi Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma is in this video and also in the Mountain Stewards video with the same title. Bob Wells Mystery of the Trees Trailor is another way to look for the video. and of course the Mountain Stewards website for the project is http://mountainstewards.org/project/internal_index.html]Trail Tree Project Thanks for asking.

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yakoke.

I knew about this video coming long ago ... they have used info gleaned from the group and Laura Hubler's archives as well as other writers articles to build their knowledge in order to make their video.

Used to be about "preservation through knowledge." Now, it seems to just be another group out for a way to make buck$ off the red man.

Well, that's just this person's perspective, "your mileage may vary."

Decipher their motives for yourself, you may come to a different conclusion.

No longer contribute knowledge or information about the trees I find to that group. Learned more in the last 2 years before my heart attack in 2015 than in 5 years of association with them.

Be well.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Anybody can make a video, even if it's NASA. I am very said to say I actually laughed when I watched this video knowing what I know now. I respect native Americans and their heritage. But I don't respect a lot of what is being published as completely true information. There is always some truth to old stories, but there is always suppression of further knowledge that the people in power kept under wraps in every culture, in every dominion. People come to accept it all as truth eventually.

OP
OP
OzarkCat

OzarkCat

Greenie
Mar 9, 2016
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Chadeaux and Quinoa. I feel better about my reaction to the video in that their explanations didn't match what I have always known to be true about the trail marker trees. I recently found some explanations for signs carved in stone and disagree with the website on most of the meanings. Makes me wonder where some get their information. Thank you both I appreciate your comments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread