Beech Tree carvings in cache hunt area - Ideas?

ChefopathX

Apr 4, 2015
Rome, GA - Floyd County
Detector(s) used
Two Copper Wires - Willow Forks - Dip Needle
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Found these while searching an area known long ago to contain a cache that was never found. These were scattered along the confluence of two small creeks that empty into the cross river, the opposite side of the creek has a steep bluff about 12-15ft straight up. I know most of this is just jumbled up stuff carved over the years, but then again some of it looks older and "Symbol-ish" The pictures are taken from three different trees at different angles. Tell me what you guys think please? Ideas? received_10201630967251668.jpeg

Last edited:

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not working. Can you insert pics?

THE1

Aug 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look for half buried rocks and possible roots exposed at foot of trees with carvings on them.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing KGC or outlaw. Get good pics of the bluff. Metal detect and uncover targets carefully. Do not remove targets. Take pics noting orientation and compass bearing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

ChefopathX

Apr 4, 2015
Rome, GA - Floyd County
Detector(s) used
Two Copper Wires - Willow Forks - Dip Needle
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'll be going back out this weekend. It looks like turkey tracks on the bottom left of pic 3. I see a small diamond at the top of pic 3 as well...what are those random numbers started by a triangle?

Clueman

Oct 15, 2004
I have seen very similar carvings near Jasper Ar. The tree carvings discuss more than one stash. I recognize directions that are almost identical. They ARE KGC. Are you in Ar.?

If you want to PM me and you are LEGALLY allowed to dig, I believe I can tell you directions to at least one that the symbols identify.
Clueman

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Not throwing any water on this thread, just my own experience with my ancestral beech tree.

A forester came through a couple years ago and estimated our beech tree as being between 450-500 years old. The oldest accredited beech in the nation is estimated at 550 years old, in Maryland. Our spring house is there. My great great grandfather had a little store on the hill above it and in the Summertime people would gather in the shade there and drink from that spring, or whatever was in the jars submerged in the water - a natural refrigerator :)

When I was a child in the middle 1950's my great great grandfather's initials carved into the tree were still visible.

Today they're not. Based on genealogy my great great grandfather would have been circa 1880 to 1900. A guess would be that his initials carved in that beech were visible for about 100 years before the tree covered them up.

It may be just my tree or whatever in this case... Every time I go down there I look for his initials but just can't pin it down today.

Family Tee.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread