Question on Treasure sign?

becket

Jun 3, 2007
According to the only book I have, if it a filled religious cross for sure, it should be in a box outlined around it, or is 'double-lined'. Otherwise it is a 'tobias' cross; but some maps interchange them also.It could mean start the hunt here, and there should be a number sign tied to it, maybe the chevron is also a distance/direction marker? If its a real cross, it could also mean there is the miner's shrine nearby, perhaps to the southwest, as that is where the chevron is pointing in relation to the cross. sure there isn't a very worn number symbol the chevron is pointing to?
Just a newbie, hopefully the others will set us both on the right path...

Becket

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Cap,

That chevron may be an angle. an angle can be found turned in many directions as a directional indicator. Look close there may be other signs that are associated with it.
they may be faint but they will also help you figure out what the sign means.

on a personal note, I have only seen that symbol used as a directional indicator.

OD

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Tricia,

You are ornery. LOL

A chevron is an angle pointing either up or down
Up means go forward
Down means go back
there is also right and left

They resemble a V and are usually 4 to 6 inches in size and very obvious.
I have found them used in concurrence with mule shoes or horse shoe signs. These resemble a U and are turned the same way as directional marks as well.

OD

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Ornery? Me? Nah. ;D

You want to see ornery just try and show me one of those stupid "orb" pictures and try and tell me you think it's a spirit floating around.

:D

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
;D

Attachments

• back-yard-orbs-plus-6560.jpg
    back-yard-orbs-plus-6560.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 442

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the cross could have multiple meanings...all depends on who put it there...anything from treasure to a religious meeting place. The first thing I would do is search the nearby area for any more symbols and then mark that location on my GPS, logon to google earth and look at the terrain in the direction the chevron points...perhaps for an old foundation, etc. Then I would go back to that location and start heading in the direction the chevron points keeping my eyes open for anything out of the ordinary or more symbols. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread