trail marker?

jimmiejack55

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2011
Central New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
trail mark.JPG
anyone else think this could be something of importance?

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most definitely . Look at the center area. The way the side goes out then 45° to the ground.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact it out in the middle of nowhere. Is there any other place that rise up like that. The only thing I've seen like that in such a flat area. It was a land fill

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about an airial of it

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a pic from Google Earth? If not, try that. Could be something.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the shape of it would get my attention.

OP
OP
J

jimmiejack55

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2011
Central New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Sorry for the short intro post.
This is a Mesa in New Mexico. Private property that I have access to, but being that I am in Texas, not the time to search much.
The Mesa points in an NW direction and the mark is on the direct point (NW). The pic is taken looking south east. To the north is a plain, with salt flats. North of that (hours driving) is mountains. Mesa's and mountains to the west, a few small rises to the east. To the north east is a stand alone, saddle back Mesa.

This thing is big! Easily seen from the highway(2mi) and further. It stands out. Funny thing is I lived nearby for 10 years (as a kid) and never noticed it. Visible if your looking for it. My dad pointed it out to me a year ago. That's when I took the pic. Dad thinks it was a trail marker pointing towards the NE Mesa, which had springs.
We have found some camp sites around with arrowheads, pottery shards. Have found a couple of metates and manos, and only 1 bone bead.
I climbed up to the mark site looking for some sign of human interactions(tree stumps, flint shards). I didn't see anything, but didn't have much time(preggo wife waiting). The mark is on a sandstone outcrop and looked natural from onsite. From the distance it looks man made.
Hope this helps a bit.
JJ55

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is something, you will need to know how to identify what else could be something when you get close up. Take as many pics as you can of things closer up, download to your computer, and enlarge and study the pics. Lots of things are not seen with the naked eye when on the premises. Are you already familiar with signs and symbols? If you don't already know, there are numerous threads in this sub-forum to at least get you started.

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
new020_1.jpg

Found large flat pointed limestone markers on my ranch property. Ninety+ yr. old neighbor says placed by diff entities to denote diff trails. These were placed adjacent to a Butterfield coach line that is now a county rd. Some were for foot traffic showing only safe route through hostile area.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions