Rocks or Artifacts?

aturner3739

May 12, 2014
Posting for a friend who found these rocks stuck in the roots of an uprooted tree by the creek at her house. She is curious as to whether these are just rocks, or if they could in fact be artifacts... since some of them have perculiar shapes. I posted this in the "What Is It" forum and most replies said they thought it was just rocks, but BackwoodsBob said that he believed one to be the owl stone and another to to the top of a site. He referred me to the treasure signs and symbols thread... I will be posting it there as well. I found this forum while looking for the other, and thought I'd post it here, too. I'm not great at navigating the site yet. Thanks for your input DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0009.JPG

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree with austin...look like rocks to me

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Rocks. But, I don't think I feel like a long drawn out explanation on the difference between random natural rocks, and natural looking actual markers inside a layout. I can find some of the same rocks in a random hole, or in a flower/rock garden as are occasionally used in a layout. But the layouts are well marked by other larger things in the first place.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Also it can be easy to fall into the trap of just seeing too much in everything or even on actual sites. But for every one of those that fall into this trap, there are 1000's upon 1000's of people that are totally blind and unaware of any actual markers/signs anywhere. There are extremes in everything, and always will be.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certain rocks can be identified by the way they fracture. Some trails are marked with a chip out of a boulder. Those are too small to be trail markers. You also have rocks out of place, possibly carried and put there for some unknown reason. I would inspect the area the rocks were found for any signs of habitation. Take pictures if you suspect so. Tree roots also hold gold so I would be panning dirt if the area produced heavy metals. You could post moses ten commandments stone on here and someone would call it fake. But thank you for sharing.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Casca , You are correct about the square chip out of a square rock (chip out of a boulder).

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aturner3739

May 12, 2014
Casca,

What would I look for as far as signs of habitation? Also, the one rock with the chipped corner is actually much bigger than the others, but I'm still not sure what size it would have to be in order to be considered a "Trail Marker." We live in South Carolina, and I know that there was a Gold Rush nearby in McCormick in the past. Thanks for the advice! We will take some more pictures of the surrounding area and upload them for y'alls input as well. We are hoping to learn from this group and start taking this more seriously as a hobby, but we are wet behind the ears as of now!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natural rocks..

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big is the rock in pic #2 in your first post? I would clean that rock off and get a good close up pic of the top and post it here.

OP
OP
A

aturner3739

May 12, 2014
Its the same rock in the last set of photos... The one beside the brick. I haven't had a chance to clean it up yet. If i do, I will re-post

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as signs of habitation...you may see none that are evident. Run a metal detector around the area, or any area that looks unnatural or suspect. If you start finding metal artifacts, you have a chance of dating the site as well as verifying that there was activity in the area.
Are there any springs nearby?

Casca,

What would I look for as far as signs of habitation? Also, the one rock with the chipped corner is actually much bigger than the others, but I'm still not sure what size it would have to be in order to be considered a "Trail Marker." We live in South Carolina, and I know that there was a Gold Rush nearby in McCormick in the past. Thanks for the advice! We will take some more pictures of the surrounding area and upload them for y'alls input as well. We are hoping to learn from this group and start taking this more seriously as a hobby, but we are wet behind the ears as of now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread