A GUIDE TO VAULT TREASURE HUNTING (Condensed)

wisdomkeeper

Jun 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is straight from the mountainaire ranger district web site

Skip to main content
United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service Cibola National Forest and National Grasslands
Forest Service Home About the Agency Contact the National Office
Search

Go
Site Map
Cibola National Forest and National Grasslands

Home
Special Places
Recreation
Alerts & Notices
Passes & Permits
Maps & Publications
Land & Resources Management
Learning Center
Working Together
About the Forest
Contact Us
Offices
Districts
Employment
About the Area
News & Events
Contact Information

Cibola National Forest & National Grasslands

2113 Osuna Rd. NE
Albuquerque, NM 87113

Phone: 505-346-3900

Steve Hattenback

Forest Supervisor
Steve Hattenbach

Public Affairs Officer
Donna Nemeth

Black Kettle/McClellan Creek National Grasslands
District Ranger:
Tom Smeltzer
Phone: 580-497-2143

Kiowa/Rita Blanca National Grasslands
District Ranger:
Mike Atkinson
Phone: 575-374-9652

Magdalena Ranger District
District Ranger:
Kim Obele
Phone: 575-854-2281

Mountainair Ranger District
District Ranger:
Jay Turner
Phone: 505-847-2990

Mt. Taylor Ranger District
District Ranger:
Alvin Whitehair
Phone: 505-287-8833

Sandia Ranger District
District Ranger:
Crystal Powell
Phone: 505-281-3304

Contact Us

Mountainair Ranger District
Mountainair RD 2016

Extreme Fire Danger

Jay Turner, District Ranger

Address: 40 Ranger Station Rd, Mountainair, NM 87036

Mailing Address: PO Box 69, Mountainair, NM 87036

Phone: 505-847-2990

Fax: 505-847-2238

The Mountainair Ranger District is made up of the Gallinas and Manzano Mountains. The Manzano Mountains are located primarily in Torrance County with a small section on the west side of the mountain located in Valencia County. The Gallinas Mountains are located in both Torrance and Lincoln Counties. Among the many attractions of the Manzano Mountains is the largest stand of Rocky Mountain large tooth maples in New Mexico at the head of Tajique Canyon.

Fourth of July

Communities and Partners

Small, predominantly Hispanic communities, (most of them land grant communities), surround the Manzanos. The area in general is agriculturally based, with very close ties to the land. Local residents place high value in their heritage and ties to the mountains. Uses include grazing, firewood, recreation, herb gathering and scenery in the watersheds that feed the surrounding communities. The result of urban sprawl is a rapidly growing wildland urban interface all around the Manzano Mountains. The community of Corona is the closest village to the Gallinas Mountains. This is a small, rural village that primarily uses the Gallinas Mountains for hunting, firewood and grazing.

Another collaborative effort on the Mountainair Ranger District is working together with our neighboring Isleta Indian Reservation. We share a common boundary, which we cooperate to maintain. Our participation with Urban Forestry has included working as partners with local schools, Claunch-Pinto, East Torrance and Edgewood Soil and Water Conservation Districts, Natural Resources Conservation Service and New Mexico State Forestry.

Trigo Canyon

Manzano Mountain Wilderness

Don't let this area deceive you. It looks devoid of scenery from a distance, but is full of surprises as you explore the trails. The same held true in the early 1700s, when explorers visiting a small village on the eastern edge of these mountains discovered very old manzanos (apple trees), a fruit tree not native to this country. The name Manzano was given to the area due to the discovery of the old apple trees.

Spread out across the western slope of the Manzano Mountain Range, this wilderness varies in elevation from about 6,000 feet to 10,098 feet atop Manzano Peak. Pinion and Juniper grow low, gradually submitting to ponderosa pine and then spruce, fir and aspen higher up. This is steep and rugged terrain for the most part, cut with canyons and marked with outcroppings of rock. Thousands of raptors migrate along the Manzanos in spring and fall as they work their way between Canada and Mexico.

More than 64 miles of a well-developed trail system provide access to the Wilderness, although the lack of reliable water sources and campsites may explain why so few people take advantage. One hike starts at Fourth of July Campground near the eastern boundary and leads 1.5 miles to the crest of the area. From there, a trail runs along the crest for 22 miles to Manzano Peak.

Range and Grazing

The Mountainair Ranger District currently oversees 19 active grazing allotments, 10 allotments on the Gallinas Unit and 9 on the Manzano Unit. Most grazing allotments are grazed seasonally with a rotation schedule based on an allotment management plan developed by the district and the permittee. Allotment management plans are developed in order to enhance and protect such things as watershed management, wildlife habitat, recreational demands as well as other concerns.

Deer in the forest.

Wildlife

Mule deer, a small population of elk, black bear, mountain lion, turkey and pronghorn antelope are all common game species found on both the Gallinas and Manzano Mountains. An array of birds including small European falcons (kestrels) and golden eagles and small mammals can also be found throughout most of the district. Sensitive, threatened, and endangered Mexican spotted owl habitat can be found on the district and some Northern Goshawks are also present. The lack of permanent fresh water on the district detracts from many permanent fisheries but the Tajique creak is stocked with trout seasonally by the New Mexico Game and Fish Department.

Forestry and Timber

The district has a very active forestry program with many permits sold and contracts awarded each year. In the 2 prior years the district sold approximately 491 permits during the Fiscal Year 2010 and 353 permits so far in Fiscal Year 2011 for a total of 4181 cords of personal use firewood. The district also hosts an active collaborative forest restoration project with the Manzano Land Grant. Christmas tree permits are not currently offered on the Mountainair Ranger District.

Fire Management

The Mountainair Ranger District has a very active fire management program. Along with regular wildfire supression duties, our fire staff is very active in planning and implementing a prescribed fire program. This is done in order to support ecosystem management in a fire dependent ecosystem as well as provide or improve wildlife habitat and protection of the wildland urban interface. Two type 6 wildland fire engines are fully staffed seasonally along with a prevention officer and seasonal staffing of both Capilla and Gallinas lookouts.

Cultural Resources

There is a long, rich history of human occupation of the lands managed by the district. Archaeological and historic sites are evidence of the diverse use of the lands spanning several thousand years. These resources are fragile and irreplaceable. Federal law prohibits disturbance to sites, and removal or artifacts from sites.

Mountainair YCC 2017

Environmental Education

In the area of environmental education our district participates in both community and school events. Our activities include setting up displays and staffing booths to talk to students as well as adults to exchange information. We also participate in many school field trips and class presentations. Mountainair Ranger District sponsors a seven-person YCC crew in cooperation with The Forest Guild.

Trigo Canyon 2014

Quick Links

Fire Information
Mountainair Firewood Permits
Mountainair Fall Colors
Mountainair Recreation
Mountainair Travel Management
Manzano Mountain Trails Link opens in a Pdf Document
Tips on reporting suspicious activity on the forest Link opens in a Pdf Document
Alerts & Warnings

Sandia & Mountainair RD's to Close due to Fire Danger Effective 8:00 am 6/15/18
Magdalena RD enters Stage II Fire Restrictions for San Mateo, Datil & Magdalena
Black Kettle National Grassland Restriction Recension 5/23/18
Magdalena RD Stage I Fire Restrictions for Gallinas & Bear Mtns 5/25/18
Wood Permits Suspended on the Mt. Taylor RD
Mount Taylor RD Stage II Fire Restrictions - May 4, 2018
Rita Blanca National Grasslands Stage II Fire Restriction 3/26/2018
View All Forest Alerts

Forest Service Home | USDA.gov | recreation.gov | USA.gov | Whitehouse.gov

Plug-Ins | FOIA | Accessibility Statement | Privacy Policy | Important Notices | Information Quality

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
It's the solstice today, and you may want to forget about the spanish for a few days.

So , the ancients were sun worshipers, and a lot of their markings are summer/winter solstice, fall/spring equinox. Anyways, for the summer solstice, look early morning for very large shadows / sunlit things, as well as afternoon , like around 5pm, when the shadows are developing in the canyons. These are very large image things, and seen from a ways away, but also if you have specific monuments you know of, you want to check those at high noon, and these can have spanish type stuff on them as well, and seen at that time of day on the solstice.

So further away, large, ancient stuff early morning and afternoon, but close in , you go to the monuments and look around at noonish / high sun.

Most of these ancient things will be large spots, so you are your own (perhaps Carl-NC will help you), but you will get an idea of what is really out there.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Q, your absolutely right about the sun signs and sometimes if your lucky (by lucky I mean your taking your pictures at the right spot on the hill at the right time of day) you can find a triangle during the Winter Solstice that has three lit up points which is something I have found.

I should also mention that the huge aura my mom caught has a large cliff face just above the aura that lights up at first light during the Winter Solstice as well showing the people who were supposed to come back for the treasure and of course us where one of their major pickup depots is located along the mountain range, you can see this lit up cliff from at least 5 miles away.

Last edited:

sqaush

Feb 25, 2015
arkansas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of solstice. What do think of these? 20150425_120350.jpeg 20160618_125124.jpeg 20160618_125135.jpeg

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like the devil is in the details.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I see the faces and shapes but those are tough for me I would have to see if there are other markers in the area to verify those.

One other thing the lit up markers that really help me out are from a distance of at least a half mile away from the treasure area.

Last edited:

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3422.jpg View attachment 1604047 Sandy,
First let me thank you for all you have taught us.
I found a rock with a face which looked toward the hill on the left.
Two months ago, following your instructions I caught an aura on the shoulder of the left hill.
A few days ago the air was very clear so I took a few pictures of the hills and found the triangle on the right hill.

WH

Last edited:

sqaush

Feb 25, 2015
arkansas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are all in the same spot. There are also several turtle monuments. If you zoom in on the crescent you can see an owl face in the top of the crescent. The snake looking face is actually looking at the crescent. The other face is looking at a turtle which has a rabbit carved on the side of it looking at another turtle which is facing the snake face.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting WH the triangle I have is similar very cool and thank you for posting.

Since you took this picture just a few days ago I am assuming it only lights up during the summer solstice so you should check it out at each of the different times of the year Fall Winter Spring, and please let us know if it does or doesn't show up at those other times of years.

In my case the triangle I found has a large Owl just on the outside of one of the lines and I caught an aura at one of the triangles points.

Last edited:

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah , go a ways back out and look back in for the solstice things, they will bring you in very close to where you want to be. They only happen a few days here and there during the year, but they can sometimes be seen several days around the solstices, depending how crucial the sun angles were when they were made. The best markers are always lit up, they weren't dumb in hiding things in plain sight, and the groups following/looting often did the same sort of stuff. They were looking for the same things.

++ on the triangles you guys are finding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
sqaush, I see all kinds of stuff in your pictures but I have found that carvings in cliff faces really are not as important as single out of place standalone markers.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t forget to factor in,
Daylight savings time!

High noon doesn’t happen until 1pm. If you are in a state that uses DST.
#/80{>~

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Since you took this picture just a few days ago I am assuming it only lights up during the summer solstice so you should check it out at each of the different times of the year Fall Winter Spring, and please let us know if it does or doesn't show up at those other times of years."

Sandy,
I had the same thought. I just searched through photos and found one from slightly different angle taken on 10/27/10.....No triangle visible!!!! I will take photos throughout the coming year.

View attachment 1604173

WH

Last edited:
OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Don’t forget to factor in,
Daylight savings time!

High noon doesn’t happen until 1pm. If you are in a state that uses DST.
#/80{>~

Interestingly enough the lit up points of the triangle I caught was at 2:45PM in the afternoon and I was shooting the picture looking towards the South.

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interestingly enough the lit up points of the triangle I caught was at 2:45PM in the afternoon and I was shooting the picture looking towards the South.

Mine was taken 7 minutes before solar noon on the 17th.
It makes sense to build summer solstice activated markers facing north and winter solstice activated markers facing south.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread