Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"The natives and priest believed in the spiritual world. So do I."

As do I. But also, we have to accept that many people from different lands discovered many of the same things, especially when it comes to paying attention to nature. As such, these things were learned/discovered under varying beliefs, circumstances, backgrounds, times, and even sometimes with different goals. One people may have only been looking to mark a trail for short-term use (like for that season), while another might have been looking for a way to make a lasting marker. Some may not have been trying to 'hide' their markings, while others wanted to keep their efforts as secret as possible - something to hide; like treasure? And of course, Mother Nature is the truest master of marking trees in totally bizarre and unusual ways!

...When the Pilgrims first arrived in the New World, it was the Natives who showed them about maize. Imagine the gall - some savage people who is teaching WHITE MAN how to do something....like survive! :laughing7:

In the old world, Native Americans didn't have much reason for higher technology. Otherwise, I have no doubt they would have formed their own way of learning scientific studies. However, they were masters in their own domain. We can (and do) all learn from others. But as mentioned, we have no way of knowing for certain exactly how or to what extent the Natives knew about marking trees. Maybe they learned the basics on their own while furthering their knowledge from others? ...Or maybe it was the other way around. :dontknow:

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree. We must investigate this further for facts. As Chad. Had mentioned his elders knew nothing of the practice. Being Natives seems like it would be more commonly seen else where.. This is not my field but have an interest and see them often. Interesting thread Chadeaux. It should go far.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You know they had to have extensive knowledge in order to make those. Not native in my book. Someone who has a higher education. People who had been around in the world. The priest come to mind. Maybe it was them that taught the natives. When they were expelled it was assumed that the natives had the practice.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

...And maybe the Native Americans figured it out on their own. :dontknow:

The Cherokee were the only Nation that had a written language ... their own alphabet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread