Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Are the bent trees we sometimes come across "treasure trees?" Yes, but not that kind of treasure. True, some outlaws used bent trees, but they likely used existing trees or if they bent them, used a different process. I've seen both, and there is a definite difference in the process.

I used to be associated with the group who produced this video, and am familiar with several of the people in it. The information is accurate and may help some to understand a bit about why the trees were bent. Why some "water trees" (as they've been told) are so close to the water they've been told they mark.

Hope this helps to clear this up. Enjoy the video. It "stars" Wes Studi, but the real stars are the elders.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey , like it. I know the lady writer. She was my realtor. My old neck of the woods. You Cherokee? That what I am. Can I post some tree on here?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sure. Post away.

Personally, I am Houma. I had a Choctaw friend who I used to hunt with after I moved to Arkansas. I would climb the bent trees I knew of to hunt from. I didn't (and still don't) trust climbing tree stands. After he passed, I learned a bit about what the trees were ... and that many of them weren't "natural". We had a large Cherokee population here before the removal as many Cherokee may have not wanted to be so close to the whites who eventually betrayed them.

I occasionally ran across these funny shaped trees in the woods. I was worried about violating sacred areas, so I consulted the Houma elders. They claimed to know nothing of bending trees, which is funny because the Houma and Choctaw are kinda like cousins - closely related. So I began dealing with the Mountain Stewards after I learned a bit more about them from a former member here (ByTheRiverToRead).

At one time, you could get in trouble with your nation if you talked to whites about the trees, but most of those elders are gone now, and many do not even know what the trees said or were for.

If the "lady" you're talking about is Elaine Jordan, my understanding is she passed away in 2009.

Be well.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know she passed. It's been almost 10yrs. I was looking at property on fighting town creek in Blue Ridge Ga. She told me about her book she was putting together. I told her how to tell the difference between story tree and the ones that got damaged from a storm. How they be information on the tree and where to look. I've have some that one even different from the norm.. I'll post some the next time I go out. Finding one ones I've already taken is harder than just going back out. I take hundreds of pictures daily. I need a helper to sort things out. . Next time you head south let me know. You can drop by. I'll show you things not talked-about. Maybe you can give me some advice. It's a whole different world here from there. Take care.
God Bless
Bwb

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When you say "Story Trees" are you talking about the ones that some call "language trees" because they have Cherokee writing on them?

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it may have more than one use. May lead to water to hunting grounds or just a trail marker. The Jesuit used the same methods. There is another method of marking. Using burned cedar logs. Both ends are pointed. They bury it leaving one end up. That end could have information on it. I still find them around here. Where I'm at now is Old Creek territory. It may be one of their methods. It's something I found only here. Have you heard of this method? At first I didn't think much of it. Then I saw a pattern. Once I found one I looked to see they made a line. They are in old growth forest. I'm not sure yet what their marking. They definitely form some shape. That one of my to do list is to map them all out.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm....had to look up "bent trees" to see what exactly you two were talking about. Came up with this: (sorry, couldn't watch video - have data limits here) :BangHead:
https://roadtrippers.com/stories/mysterious-bent-trees-are-actually-native-american-trail-markers

I'd never thought about the trees before, other than being unusual. Would be great to see more examples posted here. :icon_thumleft:

EDIT: Another site with some good info on trail trees:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-secret-Native-Americans-trail-markers.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice to see roadtrippers liked my copy of Laura Hubler's drawing as well as my copy of American Forests ... typos and all ... they were left for public use, so glad they're being used. Maybe someone will learn from it.

Beware of Dennis, he seems to be looking for a way to make money off the trees. Not too sure about Don anymore.

Personally, I don't report trees to the Mountain Stewards any more. I simply document for myself and watch. I may post pics, but keep the actual location to myself. They aren't treasure trees, but I've seen more than one destroyed in hopes of finding gold. Funny thing is, that's why the Cherokee walked the trail of tears. The whites thought they had large stores of gold. Go to Dahlonega, GA sometime and see the ground sparkle. You can pan for gold there, which I have and recovered a bit of dust doing it.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived a
bout 7miles from Dahlonega. I still own a house in Cummings. Gold can be found north and west of there. I love the area but don't like the traffic. I've heard the trees called treasure trees. I've never found it there. Up rooted trees maybe. I heard story's of people storing thing in them. Tomorrow I will be at my camp. Got a good trees there for you. Post in the afternoon

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure trees to me are not the bent trees. They are trees that may lead you to it. I still call them information trees.
I've seen bent trees facing away from water, facing water. Going parallel to the water. Here no certain trees are used. The Magnolia is one. The Bay is another. But it's not limited to just them. There are the trees I call the harp trees. They could be any kind. Usually two of the same trees side by side to form a harp shape. Has anyone heard or seen this kind of thing?

Mark60

Oct 22, 2015
S/W MO
Detector(s) used
an old radio shack model
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Chadeaux regarding the trail trees, but my confusion and attempt to understand these trees are the ones that are unique in shape and rarity so for anyones comment I submit these 3 trees IMG_1957.JPG IMG_1959.JPG IMG_2002.JPG 100_0793.JPG this last tree also has a hoyo at the split and this tree sits directly above the one I refer to a goal post

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that most of the "bent" trees,,are just that anymore.
BENT
You can't look at a tree less than several feet in diameter as being old enough to fit into those past times.
The majority of tree (wood) has been harvested or died many times during the past 200 years.
Just my opinion as I do live in the mountains.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I agree that most "bent trees" that folks find are simply what a forester calls a "casualty tree". One that has been a casualty of nature. Perhaps another tree fell on it or it was damaged in an ice storm, etc.

As mentioned elsewhere, Bonsai trees are not miniature tree species. They are the real tree ... the size is the result of pruning and binding. Many of them are hundreds of years old, but we don't dispute that.

I've seen bent trees under 10" in diameter that were cored (the only way to accurately date a tree) and proven to be well over 200 years old. So, while normal growth trees grow at an expected rate, those that have been altered by binding and pruning (think of the Bonsai trees you've seen) can be much smaller because of that binding and pruning.

Another factor I've not touched on is the affect altitude has on certain trees. For instance, a ponderosa pine under the right conditions can live to be 800 years or older. Thus, the Ute were not that far off when they thought the "prayer trees" they bent between Crystal Peak and Pikes Peak would live for 800 years. They believed that after they bent the tree, every time the wind blew their prayers would be carried anew to the creator for 800 years.

One other consideration: I've talked with some of the old loggers here. They tell me that many of the old timers were afraid to harvest those trees. They had been told that there was "medicine" (magic) in the trees and that they should not cut them down for fear of bad things happening to them. Additionally, because of the odd distribution of weight and the unusual ways wood grows after binding, some of those trees would have been quite dangerous to down using the old tools and all it would take is a couple of accidents to get those folks to believe the statement about "medicine" was true.

There is even a logger here that, when he finds one of the trees, he leaves everything bent in place while harvesting the trees. Kinda like leaving a carcass exposed.

Last edited:

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go Chadeaux. This is one of my best. This one is not pointing at water. Now the question is Native American or Jesuit
37011f2e4bf5620831b1b3c94f714e2e.jpg

Mark60

Oct 22, 2015
S/W MO
Detector(s) used
an old radio shack model
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like that tree does it figure into anything your working on

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it does. There are other types of bent trees around here too. 20170208_150617.jpg
Not sure if these are in that class. But they are a.part of the system 20170208_150826.jpg

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another look at the first one I posted 20170208_152459.jpg 20170208_152606.jpg

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest: