Coincidence or Purposed ? Check this famous rock

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey guys. For those of you who fancy "treasure signs" in rocks, and squiggle lines to be treasure markers, etc.... I have often come on those threads claiming "coincidence" and "random". Or just, for pete's sake, someone's ancient graffiti . Why the heck can't something be random and or coincidence ?

I had a recent pleasant exchange with a nice fellow, who I see frequents this forum: Backwoods-Bob . He sincerely believes that .... with time and learning and skill ....a person can decipher clues to treasures, in symbology, rocks, designs, codes, etc....

So with that said, those of you who are believers in this stuff (hence post on this forum sub-section), please tell me if the follow famous uncanny rock is A) coincidence and random, or B) purposed and designed:

Fragments of an Earlier World - Profile of John F. Kennedy

This is at a state park in Hawaii, where viewers can go to a viewing platform that looks out over a volcanic valley. And ...at the right time of day, and standing in the right spot, looking the right direction, you can see the relief of John F. Kennedy's face in the volcanic rock outcroppings. Tourists come from all around to take pix of it.

So my question for you is: Is that random coincidence ? Or Purposed intent ? I don't know how someone can control the flow of lava 100's of years ago (or whenever the mountains there were formed).

This just goes to show you that rocks, funny symbols or squiggles, uncanny shapes in mountains and boulders, etc.... can be nothing more than random coincidence. NO MATTER HOW uncanny.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Hey guys. For those of you who fancy "treasure signs" in rocks, and squiggle lines to be treasure markers, etc.... I have often come on those threads claiming "coincidence" and "random". Or just, for pete's sake, someone's ancient graffiti . Why the heck can't something be random and or coincidence ?

I had a recent pleasant exchange with a nice fellow, who I see frequents this forum: Backwoods-Bob . He sincerely believes that .... with time and learning and skill ....a person can decipher clues to treasures, in symbology, rocks, designs, codes, etc....

So with that said, those of you who are believers in this stuff (hence post on this forum sub-section), please tell me if the follow famous uncanny rock is A) coincidence and random, or B) purposed and designed:

Fragments of an Earlier World - Profile of John F. Kennedy

This is at a state park in Hawaii, where viewers can go to a viewing platform that looks out over a volcanic valley. And ...at the right time of day, and standing in the right spot, looking the right direction, you can see the relief of John F. Kennedy's face in the volcanic rock outcroppings. Tourists come from all around to take pix of it.

So my question for you is: Is that random coincidence ? Or Purposed intent ? I don't know how someone can control the flow of lava 100's of years ago (or whenever the mountains there were formed).

This just goes to show you that rocks, funny symbols or squiggles, uncanny shapes in mountains and boulders, etc.... can be nothing more than random coincidence. NO MATTER HOW uncanny.

I see a horse, an owl and an eagle. JFK?...no way. However, there is a small shadow of Marilyn Monroe just in front of the horse.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I see a horse, an owl and an eagle. JFK?...no way. However, there is a small shadow of Marilyn Monroe just in front of the horse.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the JFK thing.

What your link shows is a natural creation, but it could be used to hide a treasure. Go to this overlook on a specific date at a specific time, and you will see a shadow similar to the profile of JFK. 500 feet up the side of the hill, just in front of his nose, is a large rock with an X carved on it. Buried under the rock is a treasure.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Tom, here's something else to think of. Imagine, three thousand years from now, two people are standing in front of Mt. Rushmore. One of them says, "Well, they do kinda look like faces but I don't think they had the time or technology to create anything that big, back in those days."

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Tom, here's something else to think of. Imagine, three thousand years from now, two people are standing in front of Mt. Rushmore. One of them says, "Well, they do kinda look like faces but I don't think they had the time or technology to create anything that big, back in those days."

Yeah, it'll be Tom's relatives on a vacation trip from Mars in 3518. That will complete the circle from skeptic to "true believer".

BTW, Tom: Both of my posts are meant lightheartedly. Gotta laugh at stuff like that rock.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to ask...... :tongue3: Are you quoting Archaeologists and history professors from three thousand years in the future? :tongue3: If so guess we were right! "In three thousand years the archaeologists haven't learned a thing!!! And the professors are still spewing it as fact!:laughing7::hello2::laughing7:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Have to ask...... :tongue3: Are you quoting Archaeologists and history professors from three thousand years in the future? :tongue3: If so guess we were right! "In three thousand years the archaeologists haven't learned a thing!!! And the professors are still spewing it as fact!:laughing7::hello2::laughing7:

Archeologists, in my state, dig road beds for the DOT. They don't care about any other sites. Oh well, they gotta pay their bills too.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... Imagine, three thousand years from now, two people are standing in front of Mt. Rushmore. One of them says, "Well, they do kinda look like faces but I don't think they had the time or technology to create anything that big, back in those days."

For some reason, this analogy is not holding water. Re.: the items we see NOW. That are thousands (or whatever) years old. Thus in that light, NO one would think for a moment that the lava rock formations are anything but random chance.

Because to use your analogy for the Kennedy rocks (assuming they're thousands of years old), we have to conclude that "we can't be 100% certain that this present lava rock mountain is random" . Right ? Just as the 2 people 3k yrs. from now "can't be certain" Rushmore is or isn't random. Right ?

Nonsense. We can be 100% CERTAIN the Kennedy rocks are random coincidence.

Hence your analogy can't hold true . Unless of course you say that it's possible the Kennedy face was designed ? On your own view, and in your own analogy, you keep that possibility open. If so, you would be in the minority (possibly single person on earth) to consider this possible.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
For some reason, this analogy is not holding water. Re.: the items we see NOW. That are thousands (or whatever) years old. Thus in that light, NO one would think for a moment that the lava rock formations are anything but random chance.

Because to use your analogy for the Kennedy rocks (assuming they're thousands of years old), we have to conclude that "we can't be 100% certain that this present lava rock mountain is random" . Right ? Just as the 2 people 3k yrs. from now "can't be certain" Rushmore is or isn't random. Right ?

Nonsense. We can be 100% CERTAIN the Kennedy rocks are random coincidence.

Hence your analogy can't hold true . Unless of course you say that it's possible the Kennedy face was designed ? On your own view, and in your own analogy, you keep that possibility open. If so, you would be in the minority (possibly single person on earth) to consider this possible.

I agree that the Kennedy rocks are a random design of nature that can be used as part of a treasure layout. Nature provides the attention grabber and the guy who is hiding the treasure uses that as part of his layout. It works out great because the face is probably visible for a short amount of time each day and maybe for only a short part of the year. I'm sure there are countless shadow images, created by nature, that could be used as a treasure site. What a treasure seeker does is look for those natural designs and then searches the area for the obvious man made signs. But, I have seen small, five to six foot, shadow signs that were man made. As an example, an owl shadow can be created by scooping two oval shapes out of the rock, the top one smaller than the bottom one.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I agree that the Kennedy rocks are a random design of nature that can be used as part of a treasure layout. Nature provides the attention grabber and the guy who is hiding the treasure uses that as part of his layout. It works out great because the face is probably visible for a short amount of time each day and maybe for only a short part of the year. I'm sure there are countless shadow images, created by nature, that could be used as a treasure site. What a treasure seeker does is look for those natural designs and then searches the area for the obvious man made signs. But, I have seen small, five to six foot, shadow signs that were man made. As an example, an owl shadow can be created by scooping two oval shapes out of the rock, the top one smaller than the bottom one.

Ok, glad you agree that coincidental shapes are ..... doh .... coincidental.

But why do you think that people "rushed to bury treasure" at various "coincidental shapes" ? I mean, I can probably go into my own back yard and .... drawing geometric patterns through various rocks, paths, fish pond, trees, etc... can find pentagrams, turtle shapes, etc... Do you think someone's going to say "aha, let's bury a treasure there ?" I can do the same in your bath yard . It doesn't mean anything.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Ok, glad you agree that coincidental shapes are ..... doh .... coincidental.

But why do you think that people "rushed to bury treasure" at various "coincidental shapes" ? I mean, I can probably go into my own back yard and .... drawing geometric patterns through various rocks, paths, fish pond, trees, etc... can find pentagrams, turtle shapes, etc... Do you think someone's going to say "aha, let's bury a treasure there ?" I can do the same in your bath yard . It doesn't mean anything.

The theory is that certain shapes are associated with large, organized, treasure hiding groups, Spanish, KGC, Masons as well as others. My guess would be that certain images might show what group buried the treasure. You're right about finding treasure images in the field that don't mean anything. A treasure searcher looks for an area where there are multiple examples of these images that are arranged in an organized pattern. He will also look for confirmation marks on these images that are, for certain, man made.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The theory is that certain shapes are associated with large, organized, treasure hiding groups, Spanish, KGC, Masons as well as others.....

Sorry to be a kill-joy, but this "theory" is wrong. On the one hand, you're admitting that 1) shapes and designs are coincidental and random, and 2) that they also don't mean that anyone ever cared to bury a treasure there JUST because a shape was cool looking, or resembled some, etc..... But then you turn right around in the same breath and seem to imply that "treasure hiding groups" went doing it. Ie.: the very thing you acknowledged was probably not likely.

Last edited:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Sorry to be a kill-joy, but this "theory" is wrong. On the one hand, you're admitting that 1) shapes and designs are coincidental and random, and 2) that they also don't mean that anyone ever cared to bury a treasure there JUST because a shape was cool looking, or resembled some, etc..... But then you turn right around in the same breath and seem to imply that "treasure hiding groups" went doing it. Ie.: the very thing you acknowledged was probably not likely.

Sorry I didn't make my example clear. If you are walking through the mountains and you find a large stone shaped like a turtle, all you have found is a rock shaped like a turtle. If that turtle shaped stone has a 100 carved on it, on the north side, and 100 feet to the north you find a large stone shaped like a heart, you have a site that has been plotted and organized. There have been some groups, in the past, who might have used the turtle and heart to indicate something of value has been hidden in the area. If you want to spend the time looking for buried treasure in that area, that's up to you.

You say the theory about large groups using certain symbols is wrong. I don't think you can prove that. I think it would be easier to prove that such groups did use certain symbols to hide treasure. I would like to see some documented proof either way. I've never seen that.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Tom. Not to change the subject, but, Tom, you have a PENTAGRAM in your back yard?

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Sorry I didn't make my example clear. If you are walking through the mountains and you find a large stone shaped like a turtle, all you have found is a rock shaped like a turtle. If that turtle shaped stone has a 100 carved on it, on the north side, and 100 feet to the north you find a large stone shaped like a heart, you have a site that has been plotted and organized. There have been some groups, in the past, who might have used the turtle and heart to indicate something of value has been hidden in the area. If you want to spend the time looking for buried treasure in that area, that's up to you.

You say the theory about large groups using certain symbols is wrong. I don't think you can prove that. I think it would be easier to prove that such groups did use certain symbols to hide treasure. I would like to see some documented proof either way. I've never seen that.

Anything is possible. Sure. But on the other hand, it starts to sound like the plot of a Raiders of the Lost Ark movie plot :)

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You guys are all wrong. JFK saw this when he was in the Pacific on PT 109 and got his hair cut so that HE would match the rock formation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread