Old Forts in New Spain

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for Old Farts with new pain!

Op's, That would be me!

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about old missions that haven't been found? But forts would be good. Especially in the eastern part of the country.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
I have seen evidence on maps that indicated they were from border to border and from coast to coast. In Hughes County Oklahoma there was one on the north side of the Canadian R and on the west side of Little River, good place to detect, I think it was called Fort Holmes. Seems that they were everywhere. Missions, Areas where the Government would load up a wagon with the allotments, Kegs of silver money and take it from Holdenville where the RR was to Wewoka where the Indians were. And where the Bootleggers were. Another good place to look is Fort Reno at El Reno Okla

Last edited:

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read last night in Sturges History of Mcdonald County Missouri that there was a mission in that county near the Indian territory. I'll have to get the book back out and look again.

OP
OP
D

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Sure beats standing at the edge of a hole and kickin dirt around and talking to yourself, I like to look at the terrain, in the corner of a orchard near the old pear tree, Gotta do a lot of reading in County History books to find the info, Outlaws, boot leggers, farmers, ranchers, one story had the loot in the center of a garden where the corner's crossed just two 50 dollar gold pieces wrapped in a small piece of oil cloth, the mans garden was well taken care of

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When reviewing a very old online map of my area, I noticed a fort that I had never heard of. Can't remember the name, so I'll have to try to find that map again.

OP
OP
D

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Some had a lot activity, some not so much, I have looked into researching Gold Rush Days, 1845 to 1860, Folks were interested some in Colorado , Calif., Historical Research in a Nearby University or on line, old newspaper, Local History of your County / State Stories like Ole Fred Sure had a beautiful garden, sure raised a lot of hogs, best moonshine in the country, had some old mean dogs, stuff tike will give you an Idea of where to look. One guy went to Colorado, came back with at least 2 fifty dollar gold piece, may have been more, another kept his in the corn crib, had a model A his wife drove ( is the only one that knew how to drive ) she run off and left him standing with the gate post in hand, he re-hid the money and she never found where he re-hid the money all ( silver from the 1920's ). Under Bee Hives, one had some bad dogs, Hog wire fence 7 ft high, worked for the rail road suppose to have 20, 000. probably 2,000' I found that one, under a wash tub in the center of the pen. It was about a foot deep in one of those old metal cracker boxes. Paper money, I did not know about saving the dirt and the U'S treasure Dept. Live and learn. That was my first detector, the mans sister told me the story.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Susquehanna Fort, supposedly demolished, on an 1681 map of PA. How could one verify whether or not it was Spanish, Dsty?

OP
OP
D

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
miboje, my thoughts would be that it is English the Vikings would be around in those days also, lots of Viking's foot prints in those days, don't know how they done their measuring I have seen evidence they were the original drill hole folks, original ones were to use them to anchor their boats. The Vikings would be my 1st guess and the English would be my 2nd but it could go either way. Somewhere along the way some one came up with the idea to use the circumference X depth x 2 + width x 10 = distance seems to work, also the bottom has a story depend's if its a round bottom, funnel shape, some have features such as deer / bear tracks, coming from a safe place, looking for a den. I would think that lots of folks would use structure that was already there. If I was wanting to detect I would use a grid pattern using some good stout string ( 300 lb test) and there's so many ways to start

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread