Possible Tree Markings??

Shannon

Feb 25, 2005
Here are a couple of the close-ups of Nana40's tree. What do you guys think? We think it may just be grafetti but you have our minds wandering! :)
arrow.jpg

boat.jpg

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN
Shannon-- I believe(my opinion) is this is not grafetti. If you turn the picture upside down and look at what looks like a "9" you'll see a heart with some type other sign, the "3" looks like a two headed snake. The one and nine aren't 1 , 9
Now the darker carvings, I THINK were carved a long time aafter the others that are white. It looks like what boattow showed. also, you have (MY OPINION) spanish markings around the hole in the tree and several other places.
I'll take a better look tomorrow

Jacko

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN
Shannon-- I turned the picture upside down. Here's what the NOV> 1939 really looks like. So It is NOT graffetti.

Jacko P.s. there are some smal printing on the tree I can't read especially there in the brown area above the date.

Jacko

Attachments

• IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 922

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
I have a question for JACKO and any other interested group members.

When looking for tree markings, on whch side of the tree (N, S, E, W) are most of the markings
found? Do you have records of which direction is used mostly or of how many in each direction?

Regarding rock signs - Again, in which direction have the signed rocks been facing when located?

Are marked trees and rock signs always facing a well used path through the desert, forrest, etc.?

If I were looking to find some markings, Where would I look first? And what direction would I
follow if I wasn't successful in finding them?

I think that any answers to my questions would be helpful for all those interested in searching
for these signs and then trying to interpret them.

Dinkydick

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JACKO, what do you think that means? Shannon and I took some more pictures today and she's going to post them hopefully tonight. We're still confused by the 3 mounds of rocks stacked in a row up the hill. What do you make out of the Nov 1939 markings?

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
Dinky,
I have probably 30 trees or so with markings documented so far. The type of tree you see me posting and Nana40 posted are Beech trees. These were common to use for markings because they live a long time and so they will be around for hundreds of years, they have a smooth bark or surface for your carvings, and the way the bark renews itself, it holds the markings. So if you want to find these types of markings, learn what a beech tree looks like. Look at the leaves, they are a distinct shape and you will be able to distinguish a beech from other types of trees with smooth bark.

So, on these trees I have catalogued, I have seen marking all over the tree. I have a tree that I am working right now that has markings all the way around. Sometimes, it is important as to what side of the tree the marking is located on. I had a tree with a beautiful owl carved on it on the north side of the tree. On the southeast side of the tree is a treasure symbol. There was a reason they didn't just put the symbol underneath the owl on the north side.
Good luck,
Boattow

Attachments

• Treasure below.jpg
    Treasure below.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,618

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
Hi,
Oh, Please don't cut a beech tree down. There is really no need to do that for any reason. Besides, even though I take sometimes 30, 40, or 50 pictures or more depending on how many markings there are on a tree, I still have had to go back to a tree to check something on it many times. I went to an area one weekend they were doing construction on the little bridge on the dirt road where this tree was at. I did my best to document it. It was hard because there was so much new graffiti on it. The next weekend I went back and the area looked so different, it looked like a completely different spot. They had cleared the land right there because they were putting in a new bridge right next to the old one and they cut down that tree. It was probably about 3 or 4 foot in diameter. It was probably 300 to 400 years old. What a waste of history! I have wanted to go back to that tree but it is gone.

It is usually pretty easy to tell the new from the old markings. For one thing the old markings are a little wider as the bark has stretched as the tree grows. Also when you are looking at coded writing and symbols as opposed to someone just carving in their name, you'll see oddities such as letters with pointers, or one letter leaning for no apparent reason, just strange things that are really out of place if you think abou it. Look at some of the pictures I've posted here and you'll see some of the things I'm talking about. I once found a tree with a date of 1967 on it and I took pictures of it just to be able to go back and look at how the letters are still so much thinner and "newer" looking than the old carvings we find. Even though they are almost 40 years old, they have a much newer look still than the 100 plus year old carvings do.
Good luck,
Boattow

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deacon---

If you will go to ESA Today and look under "Articles" and then "Estimating the Age of a forest stand" that should help you out. That's how I figured the age of my beech....
Hope this helps.

Nana :)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome.....glad I could help! :)

Nana

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread