Naturallly Occuring Formation OR Manmade Treasure Marker/Sign?

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1477430

this is the map that leads to my treasure

I'd be surprised if that aspen is even 50 years old. Despite what all the boys in Utah claim, IMO any self-respecting treasure owner who wanted to carve info on a tree would be crazy to choose an aspen. If he was smart enough to possess treasure, seems he'd be smart enough to choose a less vulnerable place to carve, such as a rock, or if he liked trees, at least a cedar, juniper or a harder, more long-lived tree.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'd be surprised if that aspen is even 50 years old. Despite what all the boys in Utah claim, IMO any self-respecting treasure owner who wanted to carve info on a tree would be crazy to choose an aspen. If he was smart enough to possess treasure, seems he'd be smart enough to choose a less vulnerable place to carve, such as a rock, or if he liked trees, at least a cedar, juniper or a harder, more long-lived tree.

How long does that Aspen tree live?

How long does a ponderosa pine live?

(hint: Altitude makes a BIG difference, and dendrochronology will give the answer)

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice post. Plenty of Basque at aspen tree elevations, as that's where they (and non-Basques too) take the sheep in the summer. They carve their artwork on aspens because the bark is soft and smooth. So do lots and lots of hikers. Of course, it's not hard to figure why an aspen carving is hoped to be a treasure sign because there are plenty of "lost mine discoveries" allegedly made by sheepherders.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have spent a considerable amount of times in the mountains and have came across a few carvings on pines and aspen I do not like spending to much time on them. The true carvings were done on the rocks or more normally moving rocks around they did do carving but not extreme the rock is mostly granite up there and tough to carve they usually positioned rocks in different areas to provide directions, I have been told by a few people the carvings on trees were done in haste because of danger coming fast and they needed to hide it fast and also to confuse to they could carve on a tree and send you in a different direction pretty easy.

OP
OP
Crosse De Sign

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
~: Ancient Sacred Spirit Lands Of Our Fathers' :~
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
I have spent a considerable amount of times in the mountains and have came across a few carvings on pines and aspen I do not like spending to much time on them. The true carvings were done on the rocks or more normally moving rocks around they did do carving but not extreme the rock is mostly granite up there and tough to carve they usually positioned rocks in different areas to provide directions, I have been told by a few people the carvings on trees were done in haste because of danger coming fast and they needed to hide it fast and also to confuse to they could carve on a tree and send you in a different direction pretty easy.

I also think many tree carvings were likely done much later then the permanent work in stone.
Have come to believe at least some of the outlaw/KGC stuff was done that way, because they
didn't have a lot of time to work or maybe even the desire to do the stuff the S/J carvers did.
However, it seems they did very much like to work in the similar areas... Utilizing what was
possibly already there, whenever they could find it... Or, perhaps that info was known, &
the locations were secretly given, & then the area was visited & used again... They may
have thought it was possible, that they would be able to make it back there again too.
Thanks for you thoughts, the kind words & comments, & for visiting the thread...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its pretty cool were you are at, there was so much going on back in the day there that it is a lot to look at and figure out. I run at about 10,000 feet so i do not have nearly the amount of info you have to process on those sites I bet it gets real interesting I like that pea shooter you got in that photo.

OP
OP
Crosse De Sign

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Its pretty cool were you are at, there was so much going on back in the day there that it is a lot to look at and figure out. I run at about 10,000 feet so i do not have nearly the amount of info you have to process on those sites I bet it gets real interesting I like that pea shooter you got in that photo.

Yeah the good old 6 shooter is just for size comparison. Nothing real bad, but makes noise if needed for big cats.
I've had a bit of help with pic carvings on some, & been ignored on other pics I think are important. But when
yer apparently getting too close & a 33* Mason clams up, ask him again no answer on a couple of symbols...
Well I guess he's gotta do what he thinks he's gotta do, Sometimes I wish I hadn't had shared many pics,
but no trail cams up, & no one telling me I can't walk around in my own back yard, so no worries. I just
enjoy seeing what some left behind a long time ago, when horses were truly a man's best & only friend.
... :sunny: :fish:
:cross:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crosse De Sign

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1668969 Here is a photo of and Aspen it is 22" wide I measured it for reference the date is 1947 on it photo was taken in 2018.

That's a pretty cool pic & tree too. Thanks for sharing that zak. I recalled observing aspens just starting to show up
at about the 4,000 ft. level in AZ. & CO. looking around times. But 10,000 ft., the air gets a little thin for so called
flatlanders not really used to it. I guess you take a couple of extra breathers? Sure pretty trees & area up there,
always liked it. Not very likely somewhere an outlaw gang would be looking to deposit most of the weight their
booty that's loading them down after a bank or train robbery, etc. But them industrious & ambitious Spanish
seem to have went lots of places in the time they had, that we were all never even told of, and apparently
also lied to about. You think that's just some people leaving their marks, or something else? Took some
time to do that, & I like the horse symbol, D etc. Interesting the way the tree heals itself by puckering
out, a neat & unique effect there. Thanks again, all real cool stuff to encounter, enjoy & think on.:thumbsup:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Colorado Turtle.jpg

The most intriguing thing to me about this group of rocks that could be a turtle is that he is looking at this group of rocks not far away.

Twin Owls.jpg

Now I know that these are not man-made objects, but it still does not mean I am not interested in a group of fellows in a secret society that headquartered in Colorado at one time, who could have taken advantage of the rock structures to hide something in the nearby area. However, there is nothing more than my own drive and curiousity to lead me to believe that they did such a thing. :occasion14:

This little fella here on the stump was looked at by millions until someone was driven by their own instinct to look at him closer, and because of their own reasoning they found this lead cross leading to a K.G.C. treasure trail .:icon_thumleft:

SAGE CROSS.jpg

KGC TURTLE SYMBOL N.C..jpg

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other

In the Midwest in the early 1850s, there were no trees for them to carve unless they planted them full grown! It was a sea of green. However, the ones they used were well placed as not to be disturbed in the future and they were carved from stone. :icon_thumleft:
grass.jpg petrified oak stone anchor gunsight tree.png
Spain was here, but never created an effective administration in Nebraska. The territory reverted to France in 1800 and was sold to the United States as part of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803., I have no idea how they left a sign that they were here in the area and laid claim to it. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread