Oct 22, 2015
S/W MO
Detector(s) used
an old radio shack model
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone else see what I see?

WH

the one pic looks like an eagle with outstretched wings ? the other I would say is a whale flipping its tail but thats a crazy guess

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a lot like a logger head turtle. Little hard to say for sure because it needs to be outlined.

OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snapper outlined (1).jpg This is the turtle outlined. The file is large enough that if you zoom in you can see the knife cuts that shape the turtles head and edge of shell. There is fired material in most of the outline knife cuts from the red powdery slip that the object was coated with when I found it. The tip of his upper jaw is broken off. The break area can be seen.
The lower edge of the shell has reddish bumps like a snapping turtle.
It is not a perfect snapping turtle but appears to me to be one mans attempt.
Missouri Volunteers, with a traveling lodge and time on their hands, spent time where this was found.
The white mark is a gash from finding.
The object is fired, i.e. it rings when struck.

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like a Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts project, in enhancing their manual dexterity. Probably one of the not-so-good
items presented to the group leader.
Also, probably did not earn a badge for workmanship/tradesmanship either, and got tossed away. i would not lose too much sleep over that "ancient artifact", but keep looking for others...:hello:

OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts project, in enhancing their manual dexterity. Probably one of the not-so-good
items presented to the group leader.
Also, probably did not earn a badge for workmanship/tradesmanship either, and got tossed away. i would not lose too much sleep over that "ancient artifact", but keep looking for others...:hello:

Maverick1
Maybe Cryptic scouts.
It was in the wall of a 19th century chamber, 8 feet underground.
WH

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Maverick1
Maybe Cryptic scouts.
It was in the wall of a 19th century chamber, 8 feet underground.
WH

Ok, ..that changes things,..but where did you mentioned that before? and/or i missed it?
(wishing you good luck, regardless)

OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, ..that changes things,..but where did you mentioned that before? and/or i missed it?
(wishing you good luck, regardless)
I apologize for not telling the whole story, but to do so would mean I would be still typing since last november.
I also did not come to the cryptic conclusion until January.
I did not want to put preconceptions out.
I want to know what, if any significance a snapping turtle means as a treasure sign.
I will tell the story in its entirety soon. It is a heck of a tale.
WH

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
I apologize for not telling the whole story, but to do so would mean I would be still typing since last november.
I also did not come to the cryptic conclusion until January.
I did not want to put preconceptions out.
I want to know what, if any significance a snapping turtle means as a treasure sign.
I will tell the story in its entirety soon. It is a heck of a tale.
WH

Well, see now..? It makes a world of diference if you have a "story' BEHIND IT,...(any story)...or you just stepped on it in the grass.

We're waiting for your story, even if partial, or whatever you care to share.

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
W.H.. I have 3+ questions for you (if you care to answer) about the color of your artifact, that has caught my attention:

Q1. What would you name the color that’s been applied to it?
Q2. Ever since it came into your possession…did it change the color at all? …such as from a deeper shade to a lighter shade, (in contact with day light/sun or oxygen rich outside air?
Q3. How does the existing color react if you put a splash of water on it? darker? or lighter? Or nothing…

Would you define as red color at any time, prior and/or during your ownership period of the “rock”, including the water test ?

Thank you,
and if possible at all, please include your answer either within the body of your story, or as a separate Q&A at your convenience. This may be important for future determination.

(p.s. On your previous Q. there is a book title that reads: “Turtles Lead to Treasure”)

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W.H.. I have 3+ questions for you (if you care to answer) about the color of your artifact, that has caught my attention:

Q1. What would you name the color that’s been applied to it?
Q2. Ever since it came into your possession…did it change the color at all? …such as from a deeper shade to a lighter shade, (in contact with day light/sun or oxygen rich outside air?
Q3. How does the existing color react if you put a splash of water on it? darker? or lighter? Or nothing…

Would you define as red color at any time, prior and/or during your ownership period of the “rock”, including the water test ?

Thank you,
and if possible at all, please include your answer either within the body of your story, or as a separate Q&A at your convenience. This may be important for future determination.

(p.s. On your previous Q. there is a book title that reads: “Turtles Lead to Treasure”)

I find that color very interesting. I have found that color on a couple of very small stone signs above ground. And i always wondered what the meaning is. I know it is used for a reason, its the only two with that color in this above ground set up. My ears are perked up now.

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting to hear/learn, what made this a 19th Century chamber determination..? and by whom?

We're All ears, and Eyes,....please do continue WH

OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that color very interesting. I have found that color on a couple of very small stone signs above ground. And i always wondered what the meaning is. I know it is used for a reason, its the only two with that color in this above ground set up. My ears are perked up now.
Dog and Maverick,
The color is hard to put a name on.
Having raised 3 kids, I would have to say "babyshit brown". I hope that is not unPC.
A bit brown a bit orange a bit red on the outside. Greyish white and speckled on the inside.
There are old brick clay mines nearby and potters using the same clay make earthen ware bowls these days.
Gray, speckled .
It was covered with red dirt/clay when I first found it. The clay covered the details and got all over me when I handled it. I washed it when it was just a "rock" so I could examine it without getting dirty.
It has not changed color since and is quite waterproof. Like a brick.
I did a density determination and it is similar to sandstone in density.
Pottery slips add color to the fired object, but not usually the color of the slip. The red soaked in to the sandy clay and caused the Babystuff brown color when fired.
The color red dirt/clay was what is called "colorado" in the hispanic southwest. I know the local source.
Firing is an art.
An art taught in the territorial prison of the 19th century, but that's another story.

OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dog,
Care to share a photo?
WH

OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snake outlined.jpg I forgot to post the closeup of the snake outlined.
I think the alignment of snapper mouth and snake head toward the geometric figure is what this is all about.
The geometric figures were made after firing. Using a small, less than a quarter inch wide chisel.
The snake head only has a left eye.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread