How Old Is That?

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee, good ideal Maverick1. I never thought of summer and winter head wear. I seen that symbol on the helmet, but had no ideal of who used it.

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Gee, good ideal Maverick1. I never thought of summer and winter head wear. I seen that symbol on the helmet, but had no ideal of who used it.

It seems that it's only you and me, dear. We were left by our lonesome task to dig it. lol

ok, now serious,....Like I said before,....the more you look....the more you ...see ancient mariners . This is not your first hebrew/phoenician lettering and symbols. Neither mine to wonder about. Hey, when you live close to waterways, it happens.... to see water people. Some old, some new.

But, what is that...behind your hidden black heart, onto right. Someone lost something that could protect him? You got the better view.

It looks like a jelly fish, but it ain't
It has chain-link hanging just right to cover what's left of the skull

Told you he lost it. at 1 o'clock. It's a heart matter.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know, I dont even see the black heart. But this is very close to what i believe is a Templars HQ. There main camp site of the area.

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
You still never told me....

dat guy prayin' or what? Tequila tiene tambien?

Man,...you gotta come to AZ. we'll have a blast

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont know, I dont even see the black heart. But this is very close to what i believe is a Templars HQ. There main camp site of the area.

The HALF black heart is above dtth on the right side of the V etching. Hidden behind the V rock and the small one in front of it. Is playing
hide and seek

there's a sandwich like double layered under the V etched rock...with a crack.....see it now?

the two lobes, all black

Go about a foot above the H

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say yes he is prying, because i always do when iam in that situation. Please lord get me thru this,i swear ill never touch a drop again. Iam just not in a position to do that yet,but hopefully that will change soon. When it does change ill be out with some heavy metal. I really found out some great info. I know that type of set up now. If iam right this site has a depth gage, hidden in plain site,

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
I say yes he is prying, because i always do when iam in that situation. Please lord get me thru this,i swear ill never touch a drop again. Iam just not in a position to do that yet,but hopefully that will change soon. When it does change ill be out with some heavy metal. I really found out some great info. I know that type of set up now. If iam right this site has a depth gage, hidden in plain site,

just what I was hoping to hear.:headbang::hello2::goldtrophy:

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that now, good eye. Ill be honest, i never hiked up there. I took the photo from far off, on 330 deg.line.

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
I see that now, good eye. Ill be honest, i never hiked up there. I took the photo from far off, on 330 deg.line.

It's ok, that's what it does to me too sometimes....playing hide and seek by design. We're up against the Maestros of disguise

OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
And then is Cryptozoology. I'm afraid to even mention that. (from fear of being labeled as Chupacabra believer)

I don't know about Chupacabras, but I've had three unusual experiences myself - a "thunderbird" in the Cookes Range NM (while there with my long-time exploring buddy, ~2006); an eyeball-to-eyeball with some sort of gigantic reptile near Santa Rita NM (~2000, scared the daylights out of me); and something I wont discuss that happened in IA (~1950). I was also talking with my buddy once about Bigfoot, when he said, "Hey, you don't have to convince me. I know it exists (Lost Lake CA, ~1968)."

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know about Chupacabras, but I've had three unusual experiences myself - a "thunderbird" in the Cookes Range NM (while there with my long-time exploring buddy, ~2006); an eyeball-to-eyeball with some sort of gigantic reptile near Santa Rita NM (~2000, scared the daylights out of me); and something I wont discuss that happened in IA (~1950). I was also talking with my buddy once about Bigfoot, when he said, "Hey, you don't have to convince me. I know it exists (Lost Lake CA, ~1968)."

Please, do tell us Steve. (i'm a believer)
I know it's not always easy to talk about it, but if you can find it in your heard, please do tell.
The Raven story too. That must be cool,...as smart and beautiful they are.
Can't wait....T.Y.

OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Please, do tell us Steve. (i'm a believer)
I know it's not always easy to talk about it, but if you can find it in your heard, please do tell.
The Raven story too. That must be cool,...as smart and beautiful they are.
Can't wait....T.Y.

Well, I guess I'll just post a response that I made to someone a while back about that big bird. I was wrong before, the event took place in 2004. Man, time flies, so be sure to do the things you want to do before your clock stops. Hard for me to believe this was 14 years ago already.

Spring 2004. After finding many good things (rock corrals, building ruins, strange petroglyphs) in what some folks call Prospector's Canyon in New Mexico's Cookes Range, DP and I followed the wash northwest through a cut in a vertical escarpment known as The Centipede into a canyon known by some as Sappo Canyon (looks like a big frog from a distance). The Centipede walled in the canyon on the east and south sides. These three place names are not on any maps, but all are on the south flanks of Rattlesnake Ridge, which is on the maps.

We came into Sappo Canyon and turned southwest, following the base of the escarpment, finding some very cool rock pointers and a few petroglyphs. Then we backtracked to the mouth of the canyon and headed north, following the main wash. We branched off in a side drainage and found a very interesting carved pointer on a prominent boulder after a bit (about 6200 ft elevation). We stopped there to take a photo of the pointer when a shadow passed over us - just a flicker - and I looked up and saw a black bird soaring in the thermals in front of the escarpment. No big deal. Then D said, "That thing's not in front of the cliff, he's way back behind the top!"

Sure enough, we both watched the bird closely and when he flew behind what seemed to be a pretty big tree at the top edge of the cliff, his wingspan was clearly wider than the dripline of the tree. Then the bird disappeared east beyond the escarpment, with me just holding my camera, not using it on the bird. Ha ha. WTF? D and I are pretty careful observers; at the time, I was working as a civil engineering designer and D was a land surveyor. We compared our observations with each other and decided there was only one thing to do - climb up to that tree and measure it. We took careful note of our position for a back sight and based on the terrain above, we figured we'd find the tree without much trouble - from where we were, it looked like by far the biggest one on that cliff edge. We backtracked again to the canyon mouth, south this time, then walked up the escarpment edge until we easily found the correct tree (elevation 6550 ft). Sappo Canyon shown below, looking east. [Note: photo below is a different one than I used originally.] We measured the dripline - 20', possibly a little more. That made the bird's wingspan greater than 20'.

When we got back to town, we started talking with people about what we'd seen. One bird expert said it might have been a stray Condor or perhaps an Imperial Vulture, but we were wrong about its size because those birds' wingspans were 12-14' tops. We found pretty much the same info on the internet. Then D ran into DL, our Search and Rescue colleague, who was a 70-ish, ramrod straight, no-nonsense guy whose family had ranched in southwest NM for generations. "Yeah, haven't heard of a sighting for years," said he. "My Grandpa saw the same thing when I was a kid. Not where you saw it, but in the same general area. Nobody ever figured out where it nested."

A couple years later, I saw a news story on an Albuquerque TV station (KRQE) wherein a witness - David Z - described sighting a similar gigantic bird in the hills north of Las Cruces NM, on the east side of the Rio Grande. Unfortunately, that interview is no longer available from KRQE.

Whatever the heck that bird is, D and I will swear to you that its wingspan is greater than 20'. That's all we can say for sure. There are many strange and wonderful things to be seen in the mysterious Cookes Range - old mines, bizarre petroglyphs, structure ruins, cavalry fort ruins, rock walls to nowhere, Indian ruins, ancient trails, Apache ambush sites, old townsites, many scattered graves, hidden caves, alleged Aztec sites, hidden Shangri La canyons, Spanish treasure signs, and more. Now we can add to that list Big Bird.

bigbird copy.jpg
Sappo Canyon

Last edited:

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve,

Personally, I am at loss of words,...except to quote you on my own Epitaph:
........... Man, time flies, so be sure to do the things you want to do before your clock stops. Hard for me to believe this was 14 years ago already.

I am (maybe) a little envious of you not having to "pinch" yourself to check if you're dreaming,...for the simple fact that you had/have a witness and companion to share, remember in detail and Talk about that experience. Kudos, Sir.

(I, do have to pinch myself, or press hard on one of my bruises, to remind me to breathe...sometimes)

Please, tell us more...if you wish. TY

Last edited:
OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve,

Personally, I am at loss of words,...except to quote you on my own Epitaph:
........... Man, time flies, so be sure to do the things you want to do before your clock stops. Hard for me to believe this was 14 years ago already.

I am (maybe) a little envious of you not having to "pinch" yourself to check if you're dreaming,...for the simple fact that you had/have a witness and companion to share, remember in detail and Talk about that experience. Kudos, Sir.

(I, do have to pinch myself, or press hard on one of my bruises, to remind me to breathe...sometimes)

Please, tell us more...if you wish. TY

Yeah, we've discussed the incident several times. The most interesting thing to me was that the bird had been seen before in the area - many decades earlier. I guess I don't have much to add. Here's a couple photos from the canyon where we were when we saw the thing. The first is looking easterly, probably 30 minutes before the sighting. The second is the photo I took right at the time of the sighting - the bird was behind me. I had noticed the engraved '+' on the rock.

Ram.JPG

Pointer left.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread