need some ideas, really some help

Does anyone know what this means or is it natural?

• Would you continue digging?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What do these marks mean?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These images are carved in a tree that is a good 4' in diameter. it also appears to be a trail marker tree. There is another tree about 40 yards from it that appears to a boundary tree (looks like a set of goal posts). The tree with the marks doesn't point to it, another tree does. I have metal detected around the tree with the marks and out about 7' out. I get strong signals in both places. I am at about 2' deep and I have encountered a very large rock. I use a bounty hunter and in all metal mode the signal covers a large area (2' in diameter). On Auto notch it shows a dollar. I am about ready to get a jack hammer to get through the rock. It is not solid rock. What do you think? Am I wasting my time?

Bob

Attachments

• tree markings cropped.jpg
    tree markings cropped.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 622
S

Smee

If you must dig, please don't destroy anything, but be sure to post WHATEVER you find here for everyone to see.

Don't just go away when you don't find a "precious metals" cache there. Be big about it and show what you find. Why? Because if they are Trail Trees they do not show the way to gold.

Show everyone what is really there.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dig around the rock and try to get it out. Don't destroy it, you might cause damage to things under it.

S

Smee

You might also want to post pictures of the entire tree too, to make sure it is a Trail Tree, and not an imitation made by another group.

OP
OP
W
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will post some more pictures tomorrow morning of this tree and some surrounding trees. It is only an hour and a half from here. I have left the area just as I found it. I used to look for old bottles 35 years ago and had one cool collection until they were stole. Oh well. The area is an extremely old area and I really believe it was part of the Old Spanish Trail. This tree has a marker hanging in the top of it. Looks like an old rope or cord with a rusted metal ring on the end of it. All I can say is that it wore this old man out digging that hole. It won't be hard to dig again when I go back tomorrow.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
get to digging like a dog after a ham bone ;D

OP
OP
W
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some picture's of the tree. The shovel is 4' tall. There was a piece of wire in this tree like a fence wire, but it wasn't barbed wire.

Attachments

• ttree w.spade.jpg
    ttree w.spade.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 576
OP
OP
W
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the top of this tree is a rope with a piece of wire shaped like a U.

Attachments

• tree.rope.jpg
    tree.rope.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 555
OP
OP
W
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a picture about 70 yards of this tree. It just stuck out to me. Is this a boundary tree?

Attachments

• tmark.jpg
    tmark.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 566

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Howdy Bob,

If this boulder is somewhat centered between two singled out trees, and your detection is largely at the side of the boulder, then you have probably located an infield triangle. If so, consider the tree closest to the boulder as corner 2; and the other tree as corner 3 of the triangle. To further the search, look beyond the boulder for a single tree with a rock up against it. This would be corner 1 and the Apex of the triangle. If this is not the case, you may have located a main trail head cache site with as many as 8 caches set up. Any of these should be at the depth and length of a rapier sword (25" to 29"). In a row, they represent the skeleton of a dragon slain by the Templar Knight; the largest cache being the skull. Is there any sign of mining activity in the area? Twisted

S

Smee

Bob Turrentine said:
This is a picture about 70 yards of this tree. It just stuck out to me. Is this a boundary tree?

Actually, it is a very interesting tree, but I don't think it is of Native American origins. It doesn't look like what I have heard a Cree Indian call a boundary tree.

Here is a page with a number of Indian Trail Trees of varying styles: http://www.downesstudio.net/tree_gallery.html Go down to the 5th section (each section divided by horizontal line) and the picture on the bottom right of that section is a boundary tree. Some are lots taller, but they all look like a set of NFL goal posts.

We have a pair of trees here in the town where I work that look much like yours, but arched away from each other, forming a "V" or downward pointing arrow. They both look very similar to your tree. I'll see if I can get a pic for ya.

I believe you have found a KGC tree, not an Indian Trail Tree or a Spanish treasure marker . . . tree is probably not that old.

OP
OP
W
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I am hoping this is the case about this tree. Both of my great great grandfathers fought in the civil war and neither surrendered or signed the loyalty oath after the civil war. They were Rebel East Texas boys and never stopped fighting. There was a Masonic Lodge in an old town near them in 1848. I believe they were both KGC, but I can't prove it as there are no records. The reason I say this is this is part of the reason I picked up my research around the San Antonio area. I am trying to learn all that I can here and then make a trip back up to East Texas and do some looking around where I won't have any problem getting on to private property.
I feel that there had to be KGC activity around and in the San Antonio area. This area I am searching now is a very old area and very near there some people have found some gold coins after flooding. I know where they are coming from. Private property with no chance of getting permission to search as they have posted about 10 new posted signs due to people ignoring the posted signs and they are really upset about all the trespassers. This is what gives us a bad name. I plan to spend a lot of time back tracking and a lot of exploring in this area, but not on private property without permission. So as I find any signs on trees or rocks I will be posting them.

Bob

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Bob,

I am not as familiar with hoot owl trees as some here are. But some I have made the side trip to see don't look as good as your first one.

I agree with See, If it were a Native American trail tree I would be right in there asking you to please be as careful as possible. But please be as careful as possible anyway.
That is a beautiful tree.

Thanks and good luck
Thom
OD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread