Skull?

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
That's possible but the ranch has been pretty much off-limits to anyone but the family since the 40's. And it's in such a remote place that even they were rarely in that area. I suppose someone could have snuck in but the only way in goes right by the headquarters and and then it's four miles of rough two-track, river crossings, and off road. I guess I'll look for anything else the next i time I go.
keep us informed...I'm to lazy to go look for myself...lol

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy cow, good thing sdcfia and Carl-nc suddenly jumped on this post to save the day. Some whacky stuff going on here in more ways than one.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol, I agree! But what some don't know, It also was interesting relative to the downfall of ancient natives by the introduction of other grains they were made to cultivate with no or very little protein in comparison. Have some fun with that.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Lol, I agree! But what some don't know, It also was interesting relative to the downfall of ancient natives by the introduction of other grains they were made to cultivate with no or very little protein in comparison. Have some fun with that.

I wasn't alive back then and have nothing to do with that.....???

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Goes back to the Incas, The Spanish forbade them to grow it. Was a main source of protein at the time.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Well I guess I'll just have to look that up...............

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A quik recap of what you will find, It was basically the grain of the Gods. They ritually planted the first seed each year done by the king or chief , it was thought a grain given from the " stars" . The Spanish stopped the production of it as it was a "holy" type grain and substituted it for wheat while they had the natives work the mines for gold and silver as slaves. The ancient cultures used it to make "war balls" out of this grain that would provide protein on long trips and such, but with the demise of it, so went the cultures , perhaps as they had no means of nutrition to keep up with the times, although I'm sure a combination of other things . And yes it's the super-food grain of them all.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a natural mound. The caprock is natural as well. It looks like this.
View attachment 1662374

Back to the skull. I guess you're in Kansas, so If you believe any of the KGC lore, be advised that the skull is one of their important symbols. I lived in Kansas once, and I know that hill would be a great landmark, especially in the western part of the state. The trails and river could be important. Any interesting place names nearby?

I would guess that skull was created recently. If it was ca 1980, it might be a red flag as that's when a lot of KGC sites came to light. Any outlaw loot legends nearby? From the discussion, it sounds like nobody knows for sure when it was first seen. Keep in mind the thing may have been carved by a prankster.

OP
OP
D

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is in Western Kansas. There are stories of Jesse James being here, including one which my friend's great grandfather told insisting that he put James up for the night in his barn. And another one in print putting him at a hideout within 6 miles of this spot. I expect many Western Kansas communities have similar legends though so whether they're true is anyone's guess. There are some interesting place names around here. However there were no communities in this part of the state until settlement began the early-mid 1880's. Just military, buffalo hunter, and later cattle camps.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Back to the skull. I guess you're in Kansas, so If you believe any of the KGC lore, be advised that the skull is one of their important symbols. I lived in Kansas once, and I know that hill would be a great landmark, especially in the western part of the state. The trails and river could be important. Any interesting place names nearby?

I would guess that skull was created recently. If it was ca 1980, it might be a red flag as that's when a lot of KGC sites came to light. Any outlaw loot legends nearby? From the discussion, it sounds like nobody knows for sure when it was first seen. Keep in mind the thing may have been carved by a prankster.

There was a sculpted skull at the place I study. It was big and very artistically done. It was right by many signs that may or may not be treasure signs, owls, hearts, triangles, all that kind of stuff. It was carved right below a five foot map rock that showed the terrain features in a mile area. It was carved three years ago a short time before Halloween. It must have angered somebody because they destroyed the whole thing, rock map and all.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a sculpted skull at the place I study. It was big and very artistically done. It was right by many signs that may or may not be treasure signs, owls, hearts, triangles, all that kind of stuff. It was carved right below a five foot map rock that showed the terrain features in a mile area. It was carved three years ago a short time before Halloween. It must have angered somebody because they destroyed the whole thing, rock map and all.

Wow, that's strange. Any idea who carved it and/or who destroyed it?

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Wow, that's strange. Any idea who carved it and/or who destroyed it?

I figured somebody carved it there as a Halloween decoration. It was pretty creepy and evil looking so I figured somebody destroyed it for that reason. Might have even been one of the park rangers.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It's popular with the food hipsters around here, as it's a low-carb grain choice. It's kinda like a white rice-oatmeal combo, but I prefer the taste and texture of a wild rice/brown rice mix myself. To each his own.

First off, If you aren't familiar with the protein content of the plant based grain, as well as the history of it, then you know absolutely nothing about it. "Food hipsters" ? Is that a bad joke? What's your abbreviated name stand for? Stephen D Clark, Forest Inventory & Analysis? Does anyone research what/who/where /why? It should be the first thing a treasure hunter does.

a2jones

Feb 28, 2018
Naples,Florida,Washington state,Arizona,Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites gold master 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skull

I removed it from where it was previously stored. Here it is. Click on it twice to see it in full resolution. You can get an idea of how weathered the carving is compared to the surrounding rock.
View attachment 1667234

looks like 2 skulls to me. In everything I have read there is no mention of 2 skulls.

OP
OP
D

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The next time I get out there I'll get photos from more angles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions