Skull?

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if anyone might know about something like this. I found it on the caprock of a 60-80 ft tall gypsum mound. It's not far from an old military trail. The folks who've run the ranch that it's on had no idea it was there and their family has run it for 80 years. It's in a very remote location but near a river.I'm guessing from the weathering it's pretty old but don't know much more than that. Thanks!
48382132_10156887671219253_300589483848368128_n.jpg

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
It's cool! How big is it? Not too far from you..would like to see it. Quantrill trail?

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That is really cool.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very interesting. :icon_thumright:

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find, interesting.

OP
OP
D

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not quite life size. About as big as a 5-6 year old child's head. It's on a privately owned ranch.

Secret squirl

Sep 15, 2017
Nibiru
Detector(s) used
pulsestar II pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would probably get a better answer if you could show more of the mound or monument its on. if it is a marker, it will most likely not be the only image. Just be cautious, and if need be, block out anything that could give your location away.
Good luck.

OP
OP
D

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a natural mound. The caprock is natural as well. It looks like this.
3-700x467.jpg

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Near a crypt.

OP
OP
D

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Near a crypt.
I was wondering if it could be Spanish. Before 1870 about the only non-natives around here would have been Spanish or U.S. military. There have been Spanish artifacts found within 40 miles of this site.

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
It... It's looking at me with a crooked smile! :tongue3: No telling how old, but it is a very cool find! Thanks for sharing!

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
The natural mound would represent the primordial mound, so it wouldn't be a spanish crypt. But the skull could have been made by the Spanish. All those type mounds and peaks are "off limits" you will find.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am i missing something here ? I did not see any thing that looks like a skull. Was the picture of it removed ?

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, it was in the first post.

OP
OP
D

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I removed it from where it was previously stored. Here it is. Click on it twice to see it in full resolution. You can get an idea of how weathered the carving is compared to the surrounding rock.
sk.jpeg

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I removed it from where it was previously stored. Here it is. Click on it twice to see it in full resolution. You can get an idea of how weathered the carving is compared to the surrounding rock.
View attachment 1667234

I don't see the carving as being particularly weathered or old. When you zoom in there are fairly sharp edges around the eye sockets and nose, for example, which are areas that will erode fairly quickly with time and weather. I could be wrong, but isn't gypsum a relatively soft material?

Look at the eroded rounding of the carved edges on the face below - carved in rock. This is old - how old I don't know, but at least a couple hundred years I'd guess. Compare with the graffiti carved in 1974 in the same vicinity.

Face 2.JPG DB 74.JPG

Last edited:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The folks who've run the ranch that it's on had no idea it was there and their family has run it for 80 years."

That strongly suggests it hasn't been there long. Yes, gypsum is pretty soft, easy to carve, fast to erode. Looks like it could have been done last week.

OP
OP
D

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The folks who've run the ranch that it's on had no idea it was there and their family has run it for 80 years."

That strongly suggests it hasn't been there long. Yes, gypsum is pretty soft, easy to carve, fast to erode. Looks like it could have been done last week.

That's possible but the ranch has been pretty much off-limits to anyone but the family since the 40's. And it's in such a remote place that even they were rarely in that area. I suppose someone could have snuck in but the only way in goes right by the headquarters and and then it's four miles of rough two-track, river crossings, and off road. I guess I'll look for anything else the next i time I go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions