Trail Signs and Monuments-Spanish or Somebody Else

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
MDOG, I hope that you are in a safe place.
I caught a little bit of the weather, this morning while checking on my dad.

He was in and out of the hospital before we knew that he had a problem.

Nursing staff failed to call us.

I just saw a moment of the weather talking about your area. It didn’t sound good.

Prayers for safety for all.

Mikel

Thanks, Mikel. Sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope things turned out well for him.

We are getting slammed by tornadoes up hear. One passed just a few miles north of my boy's place. Him and his wife could see it from their yard as it passed by. We're also getting a lot of rain, just like everybody else, in the midwest. Pam and I are high and dry. If the water gets up to our house, it's going to be time to load up the ark. Our town has been pretty fortunate. Very little property damage, so far.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Mikel. Sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope things turned out well for him.

We are getting slammed by tornadoes up hear. One passed just a few miles north of my boy's place. Him and his wife could see it from their yard as it passed by. We're also getting a lot of rain, just like everybody else, in the midwest. Pam and I are high and dry. If the water gets up to our house, it's going to be time to load up the ark. Our town has been pretty fortunate. Very little property damage, so far.

Glad to know that you are high and dry.

As for Dad, he was being over medicated and is getting better, as of last call.

Thanks for your concern for him.

Keep your head down. This kind of weather is somewhat new for all of us.

The last time that I talked with Weekender, he was doing some kind of rescue for some of his neighbors and friends. He had damage to his own home, but trying to help others that were in worse shape.

He is a good man, and I am glad to call him my friend.

#/;0{>~

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

I was never threatened by high water in Iowa, but I sure have some vivid tornado memories. They're powerful sights - all you can do is take cover and hope for the best. Hope you don't have to deal with one, dog.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I was never threatened by high water in Iowa, but I sure have some vivid tornado memories. They're powerful sights - all you can do is take cover and hope for the best. Hope you don't have to deal with one, dog.

We’ve had three tornadoes go through our town in the past ten years. Lots of property damage with one death and a few minor injuries. An EF 3 flew by my house, just a block away.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the link Mdog,that was a great read. There is a lot of that stuff out here,along with offerings and or other signs in the cracks and around them. Those setups out here also seemed to be used as camouflage, misdirecting, confusion by a very smart group of treasure hunters looking for Ancient Treasures. As far as the title of your thread, i believe its other groups. I dont think it was the Spaniards at all. I think the Spaniards where looking, but they couldn't figure it out.

listopiedras

Nov 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mdog,

I went through your thread recently and it strikes me as a very good and well put together thread.
A lot of good people and knowledge have contributed and some good answers to a lot of good questions have been presented.

At some point, you have brought up the issue of European crypto Jews in the predominant Catholic states in western Europe. Here are some more views on that subject which will make a good read………….in case you haven’t already gone through this material. Enjoy.

title.jpg

“It is perfectly understandable that Septimania vanished from history for twelve centuries. There were no printing presses. Manuscripts were one-of-a-kind. With the collapse of Rome, the world fell into darkness. Ironically, much of the story of Septimania could only be unearthed from surviving Church documents in which clerics fulminated against the very existence of a Jewish state in Catholic Europe.”

https://michaelruark.blog/2015/05/14/the-messiah-of-septimania/

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Mdog,

I went through your thread recently and it strikes me as a very good and well put together thread.
A lot of good people and knowledge have contributed and some good answers to a lot of good questions have been presented.

At some point, you have brought up the issue of European crypto Jews in the predominant Catholic states in western Europe. Here are some more views on that subject which will make a good read………….in case you haven’t already gone through this material. Enjoy.

View attachment 1909505

“It is perfectly understandable that Septimania vanished from history for twelve centuries. There were no printing presses. Manuscripts were one-of-a-kind. With the collapse of Rome, the world fell into darkness. Ironically, much of the story of Septimania could only be unearthed from surviving Church documents in which clerics fulminated against the very existence of a Jewish state in Catholic Europe.”

https://michaelruark.blog/2015/05/14/the-messiah-of-septimania/

Thank you Listopiedras. That was an interesting link. It could be that Crypto Jews migrated to New France as well as New Spain, during the Colonial Period.

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Hi. I live in Louisiana and grew up on the el camino reale (Hwy 84). It extends from Natchitoches on the red river to Natchez, Mississippi which is on the Mississippi river. This last stretch of trail I haven't seen posted on any of the maps in this thread. There is a sign, posted by the state very close to where I grew up, that recoginizes this historic trail. From the Mississippi river you could smuggle goods/treasure north, south to New Orleans and the gulf of Mexico, or east.
I also found Sandy1 posts very informative. I have followed bent trees/limbs leading to carving sites that have been reworked over the years, just like out west. Some of the carvings on the old beech trees are basically illegible because of age. I also had one site that after visiting it a few times, had a new carving show up on a tree. Exactly like Sandy1 mentions in one of his posts. Not long after a house was built nearby, so I haven't went back. I have seen the bent trees/limbs all over this state and many pictures here on t net that look almost identical to what I see around here. Btw, now I live on Hwy. 80, also known as the Dixie Overland Highway. This was the first highway that ran all the way from the east coast to the west coast in the early 20's- 30's. I can't say it's all KGC for sure around here, but I do know whatever orginazation we are dealing with, they were marking trees in my area at least into the 1980's or so. Of course, there are treasure stories, both on Hwy 84 and Hwy 80 that came out around the same time as the rest of the country. When I started posting a few years ago, about bent trees/limbs in my area, some of the best ones have been removed/cut. Odd to say the least.
I almost forgot to mention Poverty Point is about 50 miles east of me and Watson Brake is about 15 miles away. Both these sites are located on the east/west line that Hwy. 80/ Interstate 20 follow today.

Last edited:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I live in Louisiana and grew up on the el camino reale (Hwy 84). It extends from Natchitoches on the red river to Natchez, Mississippi which is on the Mississippi river. This last stretch of trail I haven't seen posted on any of the maps in this thread. There is a sign, posted by the state very close to where I grew up, that recoginizes this historic trail. From the Mississippi river you could smuggle goods/treasure north, south to New Orleans and the gulf of Mexico, or east.
I also found Sandy1 posts very informative. I have followed bent trees/limbs leading to carving sites that have been reworked over the years, just like out west. Some of the carvings on the old beech trees are basically illegible because of age. I also had one site that after visiting it a few times, had a new carving show up on a tree. Exactly like Sandy1 mentions in one of his posts. Not long after a house was built nearby, so I haven't went back. I have seen the bent trees/limbs all over this state and many pictures here on t net that look almost identical to what I see around here. Btw, now I live on Hwy. 80, also known as the Dixie Overland Highway. This was the first highway that ran all the way from the east coast to the west coast in the early 20's- 30's. I can't say it's all KGC for sure around here, but I do know whatever orginazation we are dealing with, they were marking trees in my area at least into the 1980's or so. Of course, there are treasure stories, both on Hwy 84 and Hwy 80 that came out around the same time as the rest of the country. When I started posting a few years ago, about bent trees/limbs in my area, some of the best ones have been removed/cut. Odd to say the least.
I almost forgot to mention Poverty Point is about 50 miles east of me and Watson Brake is about 15 miles away. Both these sites are located on the east/west line that Hwy. 80/ Interstate 20 follow today.
Excellent PointHunter keep following Sandy1 guide some very good and honest information there in that thread.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

Hi Point Hunter. You live in a great area. I read a book about Poverty Point and was always amazed at the small red rock owls that are associated with that place. I wonder if they were associated with a trading network or even a specific family. I would love to find one, even though I live far away from Poverty Point. I've never seen one of those trail marker trees but I know of one that has been documented in the county where I live.
A friend of mine who used to post under the name Rockman gave good information about how to start a treasure hunt.

How to Begin a Treasure Search

There are many ways to begin a treasure search and I am going to show a method that works well for me. This is a way you can begin a treasure search without a map or a story, and if your lucky, find a place that hasn't been disturbed by treasure hunters. There are a lot of treasures still in the ground simply because people don't know they are there.

The first thing to do when considering a place to look is to pick an area close to where you live. This allows you time to work a site without having to spend a lot of time getting to it. Go on the internet and look at topo maps in your area and note the creeks, rivers, and hilly areas.

Once you have an area in mind, find all the old maps you can. Also get a modern topo map for that area. The older maps should show trails, wagon roads, ferries, railroads, towns, etc. When looking at the old maps, note where roads and trails would cross the creeks and rivers. These were important places then because horses, mules, and people needed water, and this is where people would stop to rest while watering the animals. Also, if some of these places were aways from a town, people would stop and camp along the creeks and rivers close to the crossing.

Note on the old maps the roads and trails that lead out of a town. Follow those roads on the map to the first creek and river crossings out of town. Note those spots. Then refer to the modern topo showing elevations and see where those spots are located now. Look for the high side of the crossings and also look around those crossings for a mile or two and note any hills or prominant areas. These are landmarks, and especially if they stand out and are visible from the old trail. Back in the old days, trails followed landmarks along creeks and rivers.

Once this is done, pick the landmark that is most prominant and closest to the creek or river crossing. The ideal location is the first crossing several miles outside of town. The reason for this is that people in those days, if they were carrying any money, would stop at these landmarks just before town and hide their money, save what they intended to spend, because they didn't want to be carrying it around town. It would be the same way if they were camping along a creek or river in unknown parts. They would stash their money and valuables closeby in case of a robber or theif.

Another thing to consider about these landmarks along the trails, is that outlaws would congregate there and sometimes have a stash spot laid out even before a heist was made. This made it possible to hide the loot quick while on the run so the weight wouldn't slow them down. They would then come back, if they were lucky, and retrieve the loot when things cooled down a bit. Always look to the high spot, because this was easier to defend if they needed a little more time to stash. It is way easier to shoot downhill at your pursuers than to fight it out on level ground.

When a stash is made at a place such as a landmark, they usually would mark it by using their names or variations of it instead of obvious treasure symbols. In this name will be the coded directions and distances to the stash. When aproaching the landmark look at the area that first grabs your attention. This could be a huge boulder, grouping of rocks, or an interesting feature. Look all around the area and see if you can locate a name or other symbol. This is usually where a treasure search will begin.

Posted by rockman at 6:18 PM

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Not too far from me I reckon (southeast Arkansas) and I have seen lots of bent trees here as well. Most are native American in origin, although, John Morell (hope I spelled it right) is known to have been in the area.

There was a group of "guides" that Uncle Sam hired to move the Choctaw to what is now Camden, Arkansas. They were just folks after money because they almost didn't make it to Camden as they got lost. Came across the river near Vicksburg and traveled to Ouachita Post (now Monroe, LA). From that point they headed north into southeast Arkansas to a point near Hamburg, then turned west. Many of those Choctaw planned on going back to Mississippi. That is where some of those bent trees you see came from. They bent trees to mark their way back home, as well as other things (water - neat water tree points to spring just south of Hamburg) they might need as they traveled back.

There was also a thriving Cherokee community near El Dorado, Arkansas even before the removal in 1838. The Cherokee bent a lot of trees in Georgia and Alabama. Makes sense that they would do so when they moved to a new territory, but so far I haven't found any in that area, although I have see some to the east and west along U.S. 82.

Been to Poverty Point, and stood on top of the owl. Seen other mounds all over northeast Louisiana and southeast Arkansas. Have also seen what I think is a shaped tree that is related to John Morell. Seen a drawing that looked like it on an old map that was supposed to have been his. I've posted pictures of the tree before on other threads in this forum.

Perhaps someday we'll meet.

Be well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread