Is this a Tree Sign Carving or Not ?

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Okay so I already have a lot on this as far as info & research, but before I start digging I want to get your thoughts about this Tree. White Oak and Live Oak Trees sometimes can be stunted in growth by conditions but can still live a very long time, up to 500 years or so. About 2 years ago a friend and I were detecting in this tiny canyon and the creek is no more than a foot or so wide (it's a gold bearing creek, we have found lot's of color). At the base of this Tree my friend found a Miner's Candle Holder buried down about 6 inches. He didn't know what it was, so he asked me and I identified it for him. The Candle Holder Cup was missing. I got all excited and tried to tell him what it meant but it went right over his head and wasn't interested in the history. (He's a good guy but doesn't pay attention or study history, geology etc.., he doesn't like to read or use his brain that God gave him). (I could elaborate, hee,hee)….So anyhow I kept his find to myself and added it in to what I already knew and have slowly progressed on up to this point. This location is on a Mining Claim that belongs to Me and some Friends (other Friends). My Claim Friends know of this but so far has not shown any great amount of interest in it yet, probably not until I start showing them a lot of gold, hee,hee, which I am not too sure I am going to do that if I'm doing all of the work myself. In this day and age there just isn't a lot of people in this game that resemble anyone from the old mining days. Anyhow I could go on and on... I already know that the Miner's Candle Holder was used as a Pointer stuck into this Tree, Pointing to the Mine Entrance 10 feet or so away, where I will be digging soon. I purchased off Ebay a New Replica Candle Holder to stick into this Tree to see what direction it would point to, Bingo, exactly what I thought. But now this Tree has me going cause it somehow resembles a Carving on it above where the New Candle Holder was stuck into, so I'm asking myself if this is a Carving or is it Natural? That's the question I put to you all. Thanks, Darrell 101_5373.JPG 101_5374.JPG 101_5375.JPG 101_5376.JPG 101_5377.JPG 101_5381.JPG 101_5392.JPG 101_5393.JPG 101_5394.JPG

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it is not a tree carving what happened with you drill hole site with the boulders.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a "blazed" tree. The tree itself and it's compass/distance position may be important relative to something else, but the carving or peg won't likely give you anything. I'll see if I can dig one up that I know of. It's more of a "sentinel" or watcher type thing that is a vicinity marker for something.

Last edited:

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Here, triangular cut blaze on a tree at a site. tree blaze.jpg Oh, the tree is shaped like "Y" or opened top "4" which I cut off in the photo.

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It's a "blazed" tree. The tree itself and it's compass/distance position may be important relative to something else, but the carving or peg won't likely give you anything. I'll see if I can dig one up that I know of. It's more of a "sentinel" or watcher type thing that is a vicinity marker for something.

Depending on where it is, it could be a medicine tree.

Info here: Ute Culturally Scarred Trees | Pikes Peak Historical Society

Pictures here: https://www.google.com/search?q=ute...3-PhAhVGWq0KHUPIA5QQ_AUIDigB&biw=1680&bih=925

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HT55
Could it have been made by a lightning strike? I have seen strikes that did not char the tree, just shattered it.

Here is a blaze I located on an old quince tree.

WH

Attachments

• Quince pointer4-cleaned.jpg
    Quince pointer4-cleaned.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 55

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread