Booty on the Trail.......

Now where did I see one of those before?

• Look Familiar?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A stones throw from the mine?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Should you see such stones in a tree or sitting next to one, you are probably on to a cache site and mine. The booty stone or trowel or sword tip refers to "booty, concealed & smoothed over, at the depth of a rapier sword." Nuggets above the portal, bullion above the vent; both are concealed openings. This carving sat at the smelter site, a few hundred yards away, between one old Spanish mine long since played out by early pioneers, and another that's hands off to you and I.

CropWillows.jpg

MarkerA.jpg

CropWillowsz.jpg

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other
Still can't get used to the utah tree markers....i'll bet there is a duplicate trail in stone along the way due to what can happen to tree's such as fire and insects....

But you can definately tell that rock was held against the tree to make the shape....

DW

OP
OP
Twisted Fork

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
Right you are AZ. A bread trail if you will. Individual stones somewhat uncommon or out of place to their source location, sometimes set in and a little out of wack with the way nature would leave them. The desert more than anywhere else. You would hardly know they were there unless you were watching for them. Cool eh? ;)

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
Like the small white stones marking the trails across the black Lava flow southwest of Grants New Mexico. when you get up on a hill you can spot them way out on the lava. they stand out like a neon lite.

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other
I would think stones in the forest to mirror marks on a tree would be a bit out of place in an aspen grove to begin with..... ;D. Our like site number one here on the western slope....large red rocks just don't belong on sand stone....lol. After looking at rocks for so many years i can't get past it and look at tree's.

About all i have noticed out here with trees is when a horse head marker is concerned there will be a hand (axe) hewn path of stumps to match the trail for the animals....

DW

OP
OP
Twisted Fork

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
Is there 8 of them? I would hit the area throughly with the double box.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Ed,

These are cool.
Once we realised what they were the reason became obvious.
stand on top of the hill where they all come together and they are like 10 yard wise clearcut pathways through the desert that look like spokes on a wheel.
There are hundreds of the stumps ranging from a foot to four feet tall. All of them are inside the trails they mark, and all are axe hewn.

Mule trails are fun to follow as well. These go for miles in just about every direction. There are also triangular pointers intermittently telling whether it is an incoming or outgoing trail.

Thom

OP
OP
Twisted Fork

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
Cool beans....Most folks just can't accept how long those tree stumps can survive. I found two 4 foot pine stumps 15 years ago at 10'000 feet elevation that were only 6 inches in diameter. They were clearly marked of on a Spanish map from 1856. One of them fell over as I walked up to it, and the other also, when I touched it a couple of weeks later; and that's just regular old pine...........

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um i would have looked close at the direction the rock was pointing on the ground it could have been a clue to the next mark.
do you remember which way it was pointing on the ground.........

OP
OP
Twisted Fork

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
Good eye, they serve several purposes. If you draw a basic terrain topo of the area, and them position the stones on it, they tell you how to pen knife across point to point in order to slice and dice the paper map and then reference the reassembly into yet another new map assembly, which reveals the related cache and mine locations and the routes in and out of the area, to and from the next mountain range and the lay line to reach it's main site axle marker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread