Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All opinions welcome. Probably not anything, but interesting anyway. Located in Penitente Canyon, CO. Lots of history in this area involving early day Spanish entradas, Jesuits, etc. I know it's a natural formation, but caught my attention. Looked like a great big owl to me. Anything else I should look for in that area?

Attachments

• 6-4kk.jpg
    6-4kk.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 100

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All opinions welcome. Probably not anything, but interesting anyway. Located in Penitente Canyon, CO. Lots of history in this area involving early day Spanish entradas, Jesuits, etc. I know it's a natural formation, but caught my attention. Looked like a great big owl to me. Anything else I should look for in that area?

You are going to come across some hieroroglyph and petroglyphs up there it is a fantastic place but you have to look around.They are tucked away but there, also why you are down that way go to Vogel Canyon up by La Junta another amazing place to see.

Last edited:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember when you had the post on the church group looking for gold on Treasure mountain by Pagosa this is were they came from they were camped in there for quite some time.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info. I haven't heard any treasure tales related to this specific canyon, but could be. It's probably silly and old fashioned, but I still have a lot of respect for stories old folks told us so that giant owl stopped me in my tracks, cause that's a bad sign. I took a pic and steered the other direction. Still, it's so obvious, would have been easy to use that for a main marker and maybe place some signs or directional markers in the area around it.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info. I haven't heard any treasure tales related to this specific canyon, but could be. It's probably silly and old fashioned, but I still have a lot of respect for stories old folks told us so that giant owl stopped me in my tracks, cause that's a bad sign. I took a pic and steered the other direction. Still, it's so obvious, would have been easy to use that for a main marker and maybe place some signs or directional markers in the area around it.

That area has been worked over from way back when I have done a lot of research on it only because it is connected to something I am looking for. But you never know it is one of the places I have checked off my list.But it is very unique its one of the top interesting places I have been to.

Last edited:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Sir, that one speaks volumes.

Hey Mav lets go get Steve I am sure he has been here 3 or 4 times with Roger he will now what it is he is not getting no were with his carved word so he has time..

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Mav lets go get Steve I am sure he has been here 3 or 4 times with Roger he will now what it is he is not getting no were with his carved word so he has time..

Lol, ...time? Not really. That's why he's bitter all the time. He's been tryin' long enough.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Oh, come on, cyzak, you don't need to stoop so low. You become known by the company you keep. Also, you need to read closer my comments re RS.

BTW, that carved word I posted is a name - the name of the guy who located the mining claim on which it is located. I was curious what the responses would be to the post. You know how I knew what the carving was? Easy - TH 101, it's the first place to start when you find enigmatic monuments, carvings, etc. in remote country. Take coordinates, locate it on a map, then go to the county courthouse and check the public records - GLO surveys, land patents, mining locations, et al. Facts are good, and it's nice to know that everything you look at are not "Jesuit treasure signs". Saves wasted time. No charge.

Sorry, I can't help you with poodle rocks of the ancients, although RGINN's owl rock is very cool. It would definitely serve as a map landmark, since most humans would recognize it. BTW, did anybody else notice that the rock type on that ridge seems to be susceptible to wind erosion?

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, come on, cyzak, you don't need to stoop so low. You become known by the company you keep. Also, you need to read closer my comments re RS.

BTW, that carved word I posted is a name - the name of the guy who located the mining claim on which it is located. I was curious what the responses would be to the post. You know how I knew what the carving was? Easy - TH 101, it's the first place to start when you find enigmatic monuments, carvings, etc. in remote country. Take coordinates, locate it on a map, then go to the county courthouse and check the public records - GLO surveys, land patents, mining locations, et al. Facts are good, and it's nice to know that everything you look at are not "Jesuit treasure signs". Saves wasted time. No charge.

Sorry, I can't help you with poodle rocks of the ancients, although RGINN's owl rock is very cool. It would definitely serve as a map landmark, since most humans would recognize it. BTW, did anybody else notice that the rock type on that ridge seems to be susceptible to wind erosion?

Boom there it is.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6-8aa.jpg 6-8bb.jpg 6-8dd.jpg 6-8ee.jpg 6-8ff.jpg A few more pics, and I wanted to spend more time there, but man I had no idea how many people would show up there on a weekend, and we weren't able to camp there. I will call that formation the owl, others may perceive it as something else. First, aa, the heart behind the owl. 2nd, bb, what the owl is looking at. 3rd, a little to the right, the balanced rock caught my attention. 4th, the heart behind the owl, and when I looked at the pic, looks like another heart shadow above the first one. 5th, just a closer view of the owl.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes very interesting lots to look at the only problem now is all the people, back in the late 90 and early 2000 it was quite. There were a couple of magazines that did write ups on that place and it started a stampede. This is why it is so important to show the younger generation so this can carry on and not be lost to the masses that why I stick to the high altitude. Remember your post on the religious group that went up on treasure mountain the leader said he had a vision it was not a vision they found something there that led them to treasure mountain. 800px-Clovis_recevant_la_fleur_de_lys_-_XVe_siècle.jpg Let me just ask you this when you were there is there anything in this photo that could be let say comparable to what you saw in the canyon when you were there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I can say, cyzak. Anybody wants to go look at this can, I won't keep the location a big secret. Keep in mind there's more than one Penitente Canyon though. This one was originally called Cañon de Rajadero, since early settlers went there and cut a lot of wood.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I can say, cyzak. Anybody wants to go look at this can, I won't keep the location a big secret. Keep in mind there's more than one Penitente Canyon though. This one was originally called Cañon de Rajadero, since early settlers went there and cut a lot of wood.
No secrets to hide there it was a place that was connected to something that I have been looking for for a while that I am still active in. I fully believe people should go out and enjoy the outdoors and they do there but with all the traffic things get rubbed away with time unfortunately.Also CU,BYU,NMSU,ASU, and I am sure a couple more have been there sure they did some collecting of there own you now how the University are.

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab 2300, Makro Golden Gate, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Owl

Hello,

Funny, I was recently looking at a video of Penitente Canyon and noticed several Spanish T signs. So this intrigues me. Send me a PM.

Thanks

Lue-Hawn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread