Symbol/engraving on a trail

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a bit more information like where it is might help give an indication as to what it represents.
For instance, if it were in Italy, I might say it looks similar to the papal symbol (crossed keys).

One of the lines appears to be a shepherd's crook.

OP
OP
T

Tennbeast

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m from Tennessee. This is closer to the East Tennessee/Kentucky border. I’m going to try to go back this weekend if weather holds out and try to get better pics of it and area. I know there was an old homestead about a mile from here. But I don’t know family name. My uncle showed it to me a while back. That is a Shepard’s hook in center. Other then that I don’t know anything else. But it has peak my interest in its meaning.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a compass rose/compass with azimuth lines, often the x part is the solstices. Instead of a shepherd's crook it may be more related to the Chi Rho symbol (P with an X over it). May or may not be treasure related, it's an old religious symbol though.

edit: just read Carl's link, and it talks about the Chi Rho symbol.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
BTW, P with an X , or Chi Rho, is equivalent to the skull and cross bones symbol as well. The P is equivalent to head/skull.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks old to me. Just looking at what I see around it. TENNBEAST could you give a wider shot of area?

Super Dog

Jun 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1722132

I found this on an overlook and was wondering if anyone has ever seen one like this before or maybe have any information on its origin. Any information or help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks you

I'd look for a river close by that has that bend in it and go to that spot past the bend and where the x is. I'll take a hunch and guess one of those lines is pointing toward it. Go to that spot and look for another sign. lol Like in that movie Na shun all treasure. I've never seen that exact one elsewhere but it looks Spanish and Mine related.
I meant Mine as in it's mine so let me know if ya find MY mine, okay?
I'll take another wild guess and say you are from Tennessee? If so, where abouts?

Last edited:

Super Dog

Jun 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can help you but you'g have to tell me the closest town to that sign. I can then look through sat. images and tell ya what it is and where.

Super Dog

Jun 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1722132

I found this on an overlook and was wondering if anyone has ever seen one like this before or maybe have any information on its origin. Any information or help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks you

It probably shows where you are on the river. The direction you had to come by to see that sign and then the direction you should travel. Or it could be a shepherd's sign on were to cross your sheep safely but I doubt it.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It probably shows where you are on the river. The direction you had to come by to see that sign and then the direction you should travel. Or it could be a shepherd's sign on were to cross your sheep safely but I doubt it.
You can do that? He really should keep the location to himself. A wider photos is what is needed. There will always be a water source close by Especially in your area. Even if it's just for rain runoff. Put a compass on lines.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
View attachment 1722132

Lots of interesting thoughts --- or you might look at the carving then look for something nearby that resembles the shape.

Perhaps the opening on the left which is the same shape and orientation as the carving?

Looking at it, I would think "outlaw" . . .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread