oklahoma rock icon

J

johnny

I have a friend in Oklahoma who has found an icon which resembles a "greyhound" carved in a very large bolder.? Under the drawing is the word "oro".? Years ago silver was found on the same property after relatives followed carved signs.? Can anyone relate to this "dog" icon in any fashion?? I can post pix if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Johnny

p.s. does anyone know old spanish writing? I have a feeling they did not write "oro" like the carving shows.

Attachments

• oro pix to convert.GIF
    oro pix to convert.GIF
    41 KB · Views: 982
K

Kentucky Kache

johnny said:
I have a friend in Oklahoma who has found an icon which resembles a "greyhound" carved in a very large bolder.? Under the drawing is the word "oro".? Years ago silver was found on the same property after relatives followed carved signs.? Can anyone relate to this "dog" icon in any fashion?? I can post pix if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Johnny

Please, show us the pics.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We LOVE to see those pictures! ;D

OP
OP
J

johnny

Nana40 said:
We LOVE to see those pictures!? ;D

I will post the picture as soon as I can reduce the size of the file to fit the site.

Thanks
Johnny

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Johnny, Get out your compass out at location. The dog's nose points South! His left ear points North! His other ear points to your compass heading of 100--110 degree's. So go 100 or 110 degree's for 100 or 110 feet, to treasure or another marker. Monk

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Johnny, the Spaniards always had big "War Dogs", (some resembling greyhounds) that they always took with them on their expeditions. ;D

It is my own personal belief, that some of these dogs were trained to smell out ores, as they do give off a lot of different smells, and I and others have proven that Dogs can be trained to actually sniff out ore deposits. :o

I don't know which part of Oklahoma you are in, but it was once a part of the Spanish Empire, then the Mexican Empire, then a part of the Republic of Texas before becoming a part of the USA, and it's own territory then State.

It is a known fact, that the Spaniards and Mexicans mined gold in what is now Oklahoma, especially mid to eastern OK. Many gold & silver muleloads were lost to Indian attacks when they were bound from that area thru Texas to Mexico City. Some have been found in Texas, but that is another story.

Give me a general idea of the area you are talking about and right, post a good pic for us! ;D
Comanchero

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
no need to see pic's I've a lot of research in dogs and if they look like greyhounds that's a sure link to spanish gold!!!
The Spaniards used to feed their dogs in gold bowl's to help track gold, it's a fact. Ive seen drawings of them and most were mastiff
types[ ie the ones they let eat Indians] the other looked like greyhounds so this is a viable prospect.
pls pm me w/ results or other facts, this is something I know about and could help w/

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
This was an area that Cortez was in and they were on their last leg of the expositions, they had already run out of money and were desperate. They did find gold and silver and for the first time smelted smaller ingot's of gold and silver. the greyhound looking dogs are a big clue don't give up you may be close. The first gold bars were about 40 lbs the ones they made in that area were only 18 - 20 lbs
some have been found. good luck!!!
[email protected]

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Dano, Cortez never made it up to that area. I believe you are taking about another explorer, possibly Coronado. However there were many other expeditions that did find and mine gold in New Mexico, OK, and Arkansas & Texas, that are not in the history books on in the Old Spanish Archives for the very fact of not having to share with the King on royalties - much like the IRS evaders today!

Yes, some of those mule loads have been found, mainly in Texas near the old Spanish trails back to Mexico City.

Even I can smell out Sulfide ores at a distance, so a good trained dog that can smell a million times better than humans can and will most certainly locate gold and silver ore deposits.

I personally never believed in that "Spanish Dip Needle" crap as being any more effective that guessing, just like todays dowsers.

Another favorite theory of mine is that when you had 200 to 300 men and you were in an area that looked like it might contain ores, is not only using the dogs, but just spread the men out in a long line about 50 to 100 feet apart and you can cover one heck of a lot of area every day. Quien Sabe?

Comanchero

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Yup, good pic Johnny. Certainly does mean something. I'd like to know where it is, as I have prospected and found gold and silver in Western Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma. Gotta watch out for Bigfoot or the "Stink Ape" tho! ;D Har! Har! Comanchero

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
Johnny,what part of Oklahoma are we talking here?as you may or may not know Oklahoma has a very large amount of greyhound breeding and training,this could be a grave marker for a well liked dog,just a thought.

Mark

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Weldermark. Location is important. However, it is very unlikely in my opinion (for what ever that's worth) that the word ORO would be inscribed also. In the right area in OK, I would say that the dogs nose is pointing to another sign or the source of gold itself. ;D Comanchero

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
Comanchero,it is also likely that someone from that area has knowledge of the history and named a dog after such history,i to trained greyhounds for many years and know many folk in Oklahoma,if it's riches why not name a racing dog after the prize!!! i would also like to see a real picture of the carving.

Mark

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Comanchero, you know enough about this area (Okla./Texas). Of course not knowing just what part of the state this marking is in, my thoughts are that nose is pointing towards Texas/Mexico, North to South being the highway per se and the eastern direction would then point into the lower SE part of the state (ie=oro mine). Posible?

Cache Hunter in NY

Mar 15, 2005
Fort Drum NY
"G" or "ORO" indicates gold treasure a short distance away. I am not sure about the grey hound but if I were you I would try searching the direction the greyhound is facing. I know they used drawing of other animals such as rabbits to point in the direction of the treasure

~Angela

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Angela, some pointers can be misleading. Take a coiled rattlesnake-the head may point one direction but the rattles esp. if pointed will point to a different direction. See "Oklahoma Treasure and Treasure Tales", it shows a number of pointers including horse head with the ears and bridle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread